Post Reply Email Thread
8th January 2016, 04:45 PM |#5101  
Recognized Contributor
/
Thanks Meter: 3,206

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by watz_up

It seems while I was trying to solve another problem with clean master for Android L/M.. I got my AdAway to work on my HTC one m8, I switched something called SeLinux to permissive, instead of enforcing.. via an app
Ads are blocked now how they were on my old HTC one S
I don't know too much about selinux but I'm researching to see if it's safe to keep on permissive.. I hope this was insightful in some kind of way

Since this is unrelated to AdAway I won't go into the details about SElinux ("Security Enhanced Linux") but the short answer is that unless you are overly paranoid there's no good reason to keep an enforcing SElinux. In fact, most good kernels are permissive by default. You should also consider whether you really need Clean Master. Many such "security" and "optimization" tweaks and apps are effectively pointless and tend to cause more headaches than necessary. Make sure to run regular full Nandroid backups and you'll be fine!

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criton30

Device is Nexus 5X with the latest Cataclysm and systemless supersu 2.66

The N5 doesn't have the silly limitations of the N6 and you should be able to simply flash the systemless script ZIP from the OP then install AdAway as you would any other app, just as if you had a full traditional root. Search this thread to see discussions of the impact of the "systemless" root method on AdAway and other root-enabled apps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike B. Ad-Free
8th January 2016, 04:50 PM |#5102  
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.

Since this is unrelated to AdAway I won't go into the details about SElinux ("Security Enhanced Linux") but the short answer is that unless you are overly paranoid there's no good reason to keep an enforcing SElinux. In fact, most good kernels are permissive by default. You should also consider whether you really need Clean Master. Many such "security" and "optimization" tweaks and apps are effectively pointless and tend to cause more headaches than necessary. Make sure to run regular full Nandroid backups and you'll be fine!

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

The N5 doesn't have the silly limitations of the N6 and you should be able to simply flash the systemless script ZIP from the OP then install AdAway as you would any other app, just as if you had a full traditional root. Search this thread to see discussions of the impact of the "systemless" root method on AdAway and other root-enabled apps.

xda search engine not working I have 5X and not 5 with systemless supersu v2.66, so first I should flash the host file and after install the app?
8th January 2016, 05:23 PM |#5103  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:

xda search engine not working I have 5X and not 5 with systemless supersu v2.66, so first I should flash the host file and after install the app?

AARRGGHH! When the enhanced search engine is down XDA become much less useful, but it usually comes back to life quickly.

AFAIK, only the Nexus 6 series running 6.01 currently pretends that the /system partition is always full, and there's even a fix for that. The ZIP is not AdAway-specific; it's simply a convenient way for systemless users to be able access the hosts file. For your "systemless" 5x, flash the ZIP from the OP (before or after installing AdAway), reboot, and you should be able to enable AdAway without having to do anything else. Using the default source files is usually more than sufficient for most users. Remember to enable the AdAway webserver for best results, and check the online help if you have any questions.
8th January 2016, 07:40 PM |#5104  
Thanks Meter: 12,323

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taomyn

Just a thought for a future release would be to include a build date/time into the remarks at the head of the file to help check when it was really built by AdAway. When playing around with symlinks and binds it's not so easy to tell which file is being looked at when the file's datestamp may have been changed.

I've committed this feature to AdAway source. I don't consider it to be that useful but can't hurt and I could use it in the future if I decide to tackle implementing caching srcs locally that are later offline.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrRobinson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrRobinson Ad-Free
8th January 2016, 08:11 PM |#5105  

More
Quote:

Since this is unrelated to AdAway I won't go into the details about SElinux ("Security Enhanced Linux") but the short answer is that unless you are overly paranoid there's no good reason to keep an enforcing SElinux. In fact, most good kernels are permissive by default. You should also consider whether you really need Clean Master. Many such "security" and "optimization" tweaks and apps are effectively pointless and tend to cause more headaches than necessary. Make sure to run regular full Nandroid backups and you'll be fine! .

I have to disagree on the SELinux and kernel statement but agree with the Clean Master and other tool statements.
RE SELinux, android 6.0 brought a few security checks into android, selinux, the safetynet checks, etc. Instead of having root kill them chainfire has made supersu not require permissive kernels and instead modify the sepolicy for what is needed for root. In the beta supersu thread you can read from early october on, there is some great conversation figuring out the minimal needed to add to the policies and security contexts. Here is one of his statements regarding permissive. The idea is we don't want to destroy the security google is trying to bring to the android platform just by rooting. Since editing these policies meant patching the kernel's ramdisk he then took it a step further to have root be possible without modifying system partition at all. This doesn't mean the user can't going ahead and do themselves (they have root), but it does mean that a systemless root will not break the safety check as well, and outside of needing to revert your stock kernel, you could then apply an OTA update. With custom roms this becomes less imp so the latest supersu 2.66 will try to detect if it can even do a systemless root and if not do the normal system root. All of the kernel devs i've seen come into that thread, IE the one for elementalx , etc. all have enforcing kernels. I haven't checked the kernel scene much but i'd guess all can run enforcing now with minimal issues.
Also with the security google is bringing to android, which I am in favor of, having root access doesn't guarantee write access to system. root just mean you can escalate your privileges, nothing more. On the N6 google made the system partition the exact size needed in 6.0.x so there is no permission going to help you there. On my 6p i can't mount /system rw booted into android, only in root recovery shell, etc.
AdAway of course needs to modify a hosts file in /system/etc/hosts and there are ways to do that without ever touching system so we are good regardless.
I just wanted to clarify some of this here but really the beta supersu thread is where all this good conversation is and let's keep in mind these new SuperSu's aren't yet out of WIP thread yet. So we still have to watch and wait where this ends up.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mrRobinson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrRobinson Ad-Free
8th January 2016, 08:43 PM |#5106  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrRobinson

I have to disagree on the SELinux and kernel statement but agree with the Clean Master and other tool statements.

We'll have to agree to disagree on SElinux and Googgle's delusions of "security". This reminds me of ancient discussions in the early Ritchie/Thompson Unix days: if someone can code it, someone else can (and will) break it. I guess I live dangerously since my kernels are always permissive and I insist on keeping control over my devices.

Fortunately none of that has any real impact on AdAway as long as it has proper access to whatever hosts file the system's DNS uses....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike B. Ad-Free
8th January 2016, 10:09 PM |#5107  

More
Quote:

We'll have to agree to disagree on SElinux and Googgle's delusions of "security". This reminds me of ancient discussions in the early Ritchie/Thompson Unix days: if someone can code it, someone else can (and will) break it. I guess I live dangerously since my kernels are always permissive and I insist on keeping control over my devices.

Fortunately none of that has any real impact on AdAway as long as it has proper access to whatever hosts file the system's DNS uses....

I'm not sure there are any delusions going on. Any good security implementation is composed of layers. SELinux is one of the layers google has added. SafetyNet checks another. Even a locked bootloader is another layer. Of course anything can be broken but these layers do enhance the security of the device and make it harder for various malware's, exploit's, etc to be successful. All these root methods are doing is saying lets be a bit responsible and instead of disabling it all to have root, we can work with these layers (ie modify sepolicy, not break safetynet) so you are getting the best of both worlds. Of course on any device where you can modify the kernel you can do what you want, that is generally where the security of a linux system lives and dies. I'm just willing to bet a year from now full permissive kernels will be the vast minority as there will be no point in running outside the layers of security meant to help the platform as a whole.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrRobinson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrRobinson Ad-Free
8th January 2016, 11:06 PM |#5108  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrRobinson

I'm not sure there are any delusions going on. Any good security implementation is composed of layers. SELinux is one of the layers google has added. SafetyNet checks another. Even a locked bootloader is another layer. Of course anything can be broken but these layers do enhance the security of the device and make it harder for various malware's, exploit's, etc to be successful. All these root methods are doing is saying lets be a bit responsible and instead of disabling it all to have root, we can work with these layers (ie modify sepolicy, not break safetynet) so you are getting the best of both worlds. Of course on any device where you can modify the kernel you can do what you want, that is generally where the security of a linux system lives and dies. I'm just willing to bet a year from now full permissive kernels will be the vast minority as there will be no point in running outside the layers of security meant to help the platform as a whole.

"Security" is simply another term for "restriction" and in that sense I do NOT want my devices to be "secure". More damage has been done to user data by poorly-written apps and careless user errors than by all the "malware" and "exploits" (two nebulously defined popular terms) ever written. Root without full access to /system is not a full root, much like being able to see food isn't the same as being able to eat. A fully locked device with hardwired logic might be a dream come true for some users, but a potential nightmare for others! We are definitely not in agreement about those issues, but it matters little since AdAway hasn't been labeled a "security risk".... yet!

Ouch! We're both badly OT... sorry. It's hard to resist commenting on those touchy matters, but I'll try harder next time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike B. Ad-Free
8th January 2016, 11:23 PM |#5109  
Flag Budapest

More
Quote:

AARRGGHH! When the enhanced search engine is down XDA become much less useful, but it usually comes back to life quickly.

AFAIK, only the Nexus 6 series running 6.01 currently pretends that the /system partition is always full, and there's even a fix for that. The ZIP is not AdAway-specific; it's simply a convenient way for systemless users to be able access the hosts file. For your "systemless" 5x, flash the ZIP from the OP (before or after installing AdAway), reboot, and you should be able to enable AdAway without having to do anything else. Using the default source files is usually more than sufficient for most users. Remember to enable the AdAway webserver for best results, and check the online help if you have any questions.

If I enable the webserver and start the app again, then it show me that webserver is not running..
8th January 2016, 11:29 PM |#5110  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:

If I enable the webserver and start the app again, then it show me that webserver is not running..

Some people have reported a similar problem when their busybox is in /su/bin/ instead of the standard /system/bin/. Search this thread for details.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike B. Ad-Free
8th January 2016, 11:48 PM |#5111  
Flag Budapest

More
Quote:

Some people have reported a similar problem when their busybox is in /su/bin/ instead of the standard /system/bin/. Search this thread for details.

Thanks, now working. Other, if I want to export a list , then the app say it is saved on the sd card, but I can not find them.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)