[GUIDE] Downgrading from ICS BUILDS ONLY!!!! .29 or .26 to .17 and rooting

Search This thread

ufmace

Jul 25, 2010
Houston
This thread pisses me off!

Yeah, that's right, I'm pissed... that I didn't root it sooner because it's so fast and easy. :D If you have ADB and a basic knowledge of how to use it, this is about as simple and painless as it gets. Downgrading your OS sounds like a big deal, but it only takes 20 minutes or so and you don't lose any data or apps. I got the OTA upgrade back to .26 just about instantly too. Thanks for consolidating all of the info and links into a nice short thread!

jordan123hi

Sep 24, 2011
SparkyRoot crashes on step 4 (cleaning up). I have superuser will this make a difference. Any help?

Last edited:

Spitfire

Nov 16, 2011
Miami, FL
I got this to work but I'll post the problem I had just in case someone else gets stuck. Windows was automatically installing my device as a media drive and not adb. What I had to do was change the storage settings in the tablet to camera mode, then uninstall the drivers in device settings in windows. I then unplugged the USB cable and plugged it back in. Windows installed the drivers again but this time as an adb device. After that I ran the viper script with no issue. Hope this helps someone.

-Droidddd

Reactions: WOEHAA and dnaL0R

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Will this method work if your on .29? I might be unrooting and exchanging my 16 for a 32, but if for some reason I dont I want to make sure I can root again from .29. Thanks

jgaf

Aug 14, 2011
Tampa
Any chance you could do a YT run through for people having problems? Visuals are a wonderful thing;)

You may want to apply it to your OP, if somebody else does it for you.

If my pad wasn't rooted already I would do a video walk-through, sorry. Maybe someone can do one, if they haven't rooted their device yet. Since this is the same method used on the Prime, we can try searching around the net to see if someone has made a walk-through downgrade for the Prime.

Will this method work if your on .29? I might be unrooting and exchanging my 16 for a 32, but if for some reason I dont I want to make sure I can root again from .29. Thanks

I'm not an expert but I don't see why it shouldn't work. Maybe wait for a more experienced opinion. And I'm pretty sure if you exchange it, in a store, you will get one on .17, making it easier for you to root.

Last edited:

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Ok, I want to confirm that I was able to downgrade from rooted .29 to stock .26 with the tool listed here. Which is just a script of wolfs method. Just in case someone else wants/ needs to do this Ill list how I did it with simple instructions. Youll need working adb and the correct drivers which you probably already have if your here.

1) Download the appropriate firmware from here.

2) Extract the zip file twice. The first extraction creates another zip, then extract that one to get the blob and meta info file.

3) Put the blob on the INTERNAL storage of your 300. I dont think its needed but I also put the meta info file there too.

4) Download the viperMOD Primer Tool from here.

5) Extract the vipermod zip file into any folder. Youll get several files so I wouldnt recommend your desktop, but thats your call.

6) Connect the 300 to your computer making sure you have usb debugging checked.

7) To make sure your ready open command prompt and enter "adb devices" without the quotes. If your devices serial number shows up your good to go. If not then youll need to fix that before proceeding.

8) Open up the viperMOD Primer Tool - Modded by bpear_v3.exe.

9) Ignore the text that says it will be installing .15 onto your prime. The tool will install whatever blob your using.

10) Press 1 enter. Youll get a message that tells you to make sure you have the blob and drivers correct.

11) Press enter again, Youll get another message that tells you to enable usb debugging.

12) Press enter again. If your all set you will get message saying it is moving the FW and will reboot.

13) After the reboot it takes awhile (for me about 10 minutes), it might seem like its not responding or doing anything but it is. Just leave it be.

14) It will reboot to the Asus install screen with the progress bar.

15) When its done it will show "optimizing applications". If you made it here your good to go.

I know this is written simple, but I remember how frustrating it was for me when tutorials assumed you knew everything. I hope this helps someone. Thanks for reading.

costcutter

Jul 22, 2011
Say if I wanted to change from US .26 to WW .26 .. could I use the downgrade method while on US .26 with the WW .26 blob file?

jgaf

Aug 14, 2011
Tampa
Gamer I added a link to your post on the OP, and a link to another post stating that it is possible to downgrade from .29 to .17 Thanks for the effort guys.

Reactions: Gam3r 4 Life

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NEW WAY TO ROOT NO NEED FOR DOWNGRADE NOR UNLOCK

Check out this thread , give thanks to miloj

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you updated to .26 you will need to downgrade to .17 to be able to root your device. If you are on .17 just skip to step #2

STEP ONE

You will need to downgrade using Wolf's 2nd method found here

For this you will need to use ADB, meaning you will need to have Android SDK installed. In order to get ADB working watch this helpful video tutorial (found by tomween1)

There's also a one click script that will do this for you automatically, found here Important note: remember that the automatic script does the same as the 2nd method, so you will need to leave your tablet connected to your pc while doing this. Once you run the script your tablet will reboot in the first couple of seconds (it hasn't finished just yet), then the script will move to the next step, which will take about 10 mins to finish. After this it will reboot and load up the new firmware.

Both processes ask that you have the .17 BLOB file in your Internal SDCard, ASUS had the firmwares previously posted but they took them down. You can Find links to the FWs in the following threads:

US .17 Blob

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1642614 (courtesy of wideopn11)
    The BLOB file can be found inside the 2nd zip file downloaded from those mirrors.

DE .17 Blob Should work for downgrading from WW firmwares.

See this post (courtesy of costcutter)

Once downgrade to .17 you can root your device.

STEP TWO

In order to root you will need the apk for SparkyRoot, which you can download here. Just follow the instructions on that thread and you will have a rooted device.

STEP THREE

Do not update your device to .26 just yet! First get Voodoo OTA RootKeeper from the Google Play Store. This application will help you retain root after upgrading. Once you have installed it, open it and follow the instructions inside the app. After making sure that all the check boxes are marked in OTA RootKeeper, you can update to .26

Once you have update you won't have root. So, go into OTA RootKeeper once again and restore your root. Voila!

STEP FOUR

Download and run Titanium Backup from the Google Play Store. It will say that you need to fix some permissions in order to have a fully working root, just tap "Ok" or "Yes" (don't remember which one was it). Then reboot tablet and you are done. Enjoy your rooted tablet!

NOTE:

Remember it is advised that you shouldn't update manually, since you might not be able to restore root. Some people have said that they were able to restore, even while updating manually. Also after rooting, it might take a while to receive the update notification for .26, just keep trying to refresh in Settings>About Tablet>System Firmware Update (be patient, it took me a while to get the update). The firmwares posted in the thread I linked to are for the US, if you have another firmware, non US, for now I don't have links to them. If you do know mirrors hosting non US FWs please post them in a reply message.

This guide hasn't been made from scratch by me, it is a collective work that has expanded through various threads. I would like to thank the following users: wolf849, bpear96, sparkym3, anduzer, wideopn11, demandarin, Gam3r 4 Life, edgemaster191, costcutter, tomween1 and many others that have contributed in finding and hosting this information.

UPDATE .29

It has been confirmed by user Gam3r 4 Life that downgrading from .29 to .26 is possible using the same method stated here. I'm pretty sure that you can go straight from .29 to .17, if you haven't rooted your device yet, with the same method. Someone confirmed a downgrade from .29 to .17 here

UNLOCKED ROOT

There is another way to root your tablet, this only for the people that want to unlock their devices (REMEMBER UNLOCKING YOUR DEVICE VOIDS THE WARRANTY FROM ASUS, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET SUPPORT FROM THEM NOR AUTOMATIC OTA UPDATES....). So, if you want to take this path please look into this thread, in that thread you will find an explanation on how to get CWM running on your unlocked tablet and you will find a flashable file that will root your device. Please read that thread carefully. Also remember to give thanks to XpLoDWilD for preparing it.
    Ok, I want to confirm that I was able to downgrade from rooted .29 to stock .26 with the tool listed here. Which is just a script of wolfs method. Just in case someone else wants/ needs to do this Ill list how I did it with simple instructions. Youll need working adb and the correct drivers which you probably already have if your here.

1) Download the appropriate firmware from here.

2) Extract the zip file twice. The first extraction creates another zip, then extract that one to get the blob and meta info file.

3) Put the blob on the INTERNAL storage of your 300. I dont think its needed but I also put the meta info file there too.

4) Download the viperMOD Primer Tool from here.

5) Extract the vipermod zip file into any folder. Youll get several files so I wouldnt recommend your desktop, but thats your call.

6) Connect the 300 to your computer making sure you have usb debugging checked.

7) To make sure your ready open command prompt and enter "adb devices" without the quotes. If your devices serial number shows up your good to go. If not then youll need to fix that before proceeding.

8) Open up the viperMOD Primer Tool - Modded by bpear_v3.exe.

9) Ignore the text that says it will be installing .15 onto your prime. The tool will install whatever blob your using.

10) Press 1 enter. Youll get a message that tells you to make sure you have the blob and drivers correct.

11) Press enter again, Youll get another message that tells you to enable usb debugging.

12) Press enter again. If your all set you will get message saying it is moving the FW and will reboot.

13) After the reboot it takes awhile (for me about 10 minutes), it might seem like its not responding or doing anything but it is. Just leave it be.

14) It will reboot to the Asus install screen with the progress bar.

15) When its done it will show "optimizing applications". If you made it here your good to go.

I know this is written simple, but I remember how frustrating it was for me when tutorials assumed you knew everything. I hope this helps someone. Thanks for reading.
    Uhm, it was not possible to have the WW .17 extracted?

I actually tinkered with it for awhile, but couldn't figure it out. I did some research and found this post which confirmed it is not possible (at least with my level of expertise): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26230472&postcount=23

Sorry....wish I could have helped as I felt the same pain.
    I got this to work but I'll post the problem I had just in case someone else gets stuck. Windows was automatically installing my device as a media drive and not adb. What I had to do was change the storage settings in the tablet to camera mode, then uninstall the drivers in device settings in windows. I then unplugged the USB cable and plugged it back in. Windows installed the drivers again but this time as an adb device. After that I ran the viper script with no issue. Hope this helps someone.

-Droidddd
    Okay, I think I figured it out.
    After SparkyRoot and Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper there is a su-backup file in the \system\ directory.
    Just to be sure I copied that to the sdcard

After an OTA this su-backup is deleted and (of course) I cannot put the copy back in the systemdir.

How can I counteract the deletion of the su-backup file when there is an OTA?

I really like to have ROOT on my TF300T, so I can use tools that require root. Any help would be awesome.

Once you use rootkeeper make sure every box has a checkmark, if they do you will have a root backup that can be restore after an ota. After ota just run rootkeeper and restore root with it

Trying the one-click method but it looks like it won't recognize the firmware file...I'm on .29, it starts and looks like it does everything fine but when it says transferring firmware 3-10 minutes it goes instantly to the next step and says everything is done but when it restarts it didn't flash anything. Do I need to downgrade to .26 first? I so, where can I get the .26 blob, it looks like Asus took it down from their site.

thanks

Are you sure that the blob file is in the internal sdcard? AFAIK you can go straight from. 29 to. 17. Double check where you placed the blob file, remember you just need the blob file not the whole firmware zip.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2