Xoom Tips, tricks and just helpful information.

Search This thread

arrtoodeetoo

Dec 31, 2010
Just found a new trick...at least new to me. If you are moving icons on the screen hold the icon with one finger then, lets say you want to move it to the other side just click with another finger where you want. Once you let go of the original it will move to the other finger. Surprised me when it first happened.

Ha! Neat trick! Works on my Droid, too.

arrtoodeetoo

Dec 31, 2010
Q: Photos in the stock viewer are blurred when scaled to fit the screen. How do I view my DLSR pics and other high quality photos without the blur?

A: Download QuickPic from the market (free). It's a photo viewer that scales correctly without garbling photos.

Just in case it was missed. Just saw a thread about the crappyness of the stock photo viewer.

omegard

Oct 18, 2007
Figured I would share a tip that has improved my browsing experience using the device. Disabling Java and unchecking Auto-Fit pages has increased my browsing speed. Just something I wanted to pass along

sangreal06

Sep 9, 2010
Anyone know if there is a way to disable the corner buttons while using the keyboard? I'm constantly bringing up the settings pane or exiting out of the keyboard with my palms

rlrbjr

Nov 21, 2009
WebSharing File/Media Sync

This app from NextApp (the same team responsible for SystemPanel) solves a number of problems that various users have reported (plus it's just pretty cool :) )

There is a free version (WebSharingLite File/Media Sync) and the paid version (in the title). When you run this app on your Xoom it runs as a web server (and WebDAV server). So what does this accomplish -- access your Xoom with a browser so you can:

• If you are one of the unlucky Windows Vista users that cannot get a USB connection to your Xoom this will allow you to transfer files to (and from) your Xoom without a physical connection.
  • If you are using Linux (or on a Mac and don't want to use the File Transfer Utility) this will provide connectivity.
  • Using the (Beta) WebDAV capability this allows you to mount your Xoom as a network drive. This will allow applications like Documents 2 Go PC file sync (that expect a mounted drive) to work properly.

The (paid) app can be found at:
https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.websharing.r1&feature=search_result

And a pretty good description (with some screen shots, etc) are available at the developers website:
http://android.nextapp.com/site/websharing/doc/webdav

I don't have any affiliation with the developer. I just stumbled on the app when I was looking at ways to send files to my Xoom without using the USB cable (I was originally looking at bluetooth).

The app is really designed to be used over a local wifi network; there is a setting that allows 3G (maybe eventually 4G) connectivity - but I haven't tried it since I have not activated 3G.

The UI is not tablet optimized, but it is functional.

killswitch23456

Oct 23, 2010
New York
Ahh...was actually wondering and about to make a thread on a couple of those questions...especially the hard restart since there is no battery to pull like in the phones haha

Thanks, great thread! :)

Blackcobra95

Dec 28, 2009
Quick question. I am trying to download a file whilebluetooth tethered to my Droid 1. I get a notification for the file to start but it never does. I am using Linda file manager.

When I hook up to my wifi connection the file starts downloading. Any suggestions?

Blackcobra95

Dec 28, 2009

IndivisibleP

Dec 3, 2010
I am having an issue with the stock music player icon/controller not showing up in the notification bar. It does most times but every now and then it isn't to be found. Anyone else getting this? On an 800$ tablet bugs like this tend to nag you in a very noticible way.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

generic.imitation

Feb 5, 2009
I am having an issue with the stock music player icon/controller not showing up in the notification bar. It does most times but every now and then it isn't to be found. Anyone else getting this? On an 800$ tablet bugs like this tend to nag you in a very noticible way.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App
Have you tried using the music widget? I place mine right above the clock.

sherwink20

Nov 27, 2008
Hi guys! just wanted to ask for some helpful information about the xoom, will be getting mine soon and I am still deciding on which to keep (ipad 2 or this):D

Was an android user myself (cm6 on nexus1)

1.) can i load a youtube video in the background and while waiting, multitask by browsing? (bandwidth in this part of the world is bad - we are waiting for youtube videos to load, even at a 360p resolution

2.) is the browser really as good as it gets? can it load forum pages with more than 20 pictures loading fine without crashing? background loading in tabs is a HUUUGE deal for me, is it really working "as advertised"?- close to (if not exactly like) a computer experience?

3.) how many tabs can i load? any real world input is appreciated. (in the ipad , i can load only a forum page with a lot of pictures)

4.) can i load videos in avi format?

5.) actual battery life? -(ipad is advertised as 10, and is really 10, any feedbacks on actual users?)

6.) how is the 1gb ram for multitasking? is it always running out of ram? (nothing fancy, just loading youtube vids in the background, then browsing through 4-6 tabs, checking mail and chatting in Gtalk) the 1gb ram can easily handle these I presume?

Very optimistic about the potential of the tablet, I am hoping to get answers from actual users who have been already using the xoom, please enlighten us:)

jcastillo1830

Mar 8, 2011
Music Widget Disapearing

@IndivisibleP

Simply put, the icon disapears if you use the "Multitasking button" to switch between programs. To Fix this, press Home, then use your multitasking button to switch to to your other tasks.

kllrnohj

Aug 18, 2010
Hi guys! just wanted to ask for some helpful information about the xoom, will be getting mine soon and I am still deciding on which to keep (ipad 2 or this):D

Was an android user myself (cm6 on nexus1)

1.) can i load a youtube video in the background and while waiting, multitask by browsing? (bandwidth in this part of the world is bad - we are waiting for youtube videos to load, even at a 360p resolution

2.) is the browser really as good as it gets? can it load forum pages with more than 20 pictures loading fine without crashing? background loading in tabs is a HUUUGE deal for me, is it really working "as advertised"?- close to (if not exactly like) a computer experience?

3.) how many tabs can i load? any real world input is appreciated. (in the ipad , i can load only a forum page with a lot of pictures)

4.) can i load videos in avi format?

5.) actual battery life? -(ipad is advertised as 10, and is really 10, any feedbacks on actual users?)

6.) how is the 1gb ram for multitasking? is it always running out of ram? (nothing fancy, just loading youtube vids in the background, then browsing through 4-6 tabs, checking mail and chatting in Gtalk) the 1gb ram can easily handle these I presume?

Very optimistic about the potential of the tablet, I am hoping to get answers from actual users who have been already using the xoom, please enlighten us:)

1: no
2: some sites are excellent, some are laggy. The tabbed browsing itself is great
3: limited to 16 open tabs
5: battery life is actually pretty good. 3g/wifi web browsing can do 9+ hours
6: yes

Reactions: onedowg

Top Liked Posts