I9305 front replacement identical to I9300?

Search This thread

Gnaddel

Feb 8, 2013
Hi there,

I'm looking to replace the broken glass front of my gt-i9305. However, most parts I find online explicitly list the i9300 unit.
Will a i9300 glass front fit the i9305?

Thank you for your input,
Gnaddel

stefano80

Oct 9, 2012
All I can say is that when I replaced the screen for my i9305 they told me the part for my phone was a little cheaper than the one for i9300. And that was an official Samsung service center. I asked why and they didn't really know the reason. At this point I'd say they are different.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda premium

jazzyman9182

Dec 25, 2011
Melbourne
I asked why and they didn't really know the reason.

That's probably because they sell more i9300's than i9305's so they charge more for the screen to make money.

I did see one guy selling an i9300 screen on eBay because it didn't fit his i9305. Not sure if they just didn't know how to fit it properly or if they actually don't fit. I would think that they would fit because its exactly the same frame. Its only if the extra components need more space to fit in the phone.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using xda app-developers app

Reactions: kazmilahore

MobiFixSE

May 20, 2013
They are the same. I've fixed several i9305 phones with the i9300 front screens :good:

I doubt they've been successful repairs that's went off without a hitch in that case..
The thing is the back of the screen on the i9300 and i9305 differs a slight, (i'm talking about the iron/steel bit on the back of a complete assembled screen) this won't accommodate the motherboard on the various units .. apparently the i9305 has a few more transistors or the like on the motherboard..

Example: i9300 screen assembly, i9305 mid frame..
The motherboard wont slot down properly, leading to the bottom left corner (Seen from behind) to not go down properly, which in turn leads to the mid frame siting a slight skewed, which also means that the battery cover won't fit properly, as the bottom left corner will be lifted enough to where it might fall off without much strain.

This is due to the the ironmolding on the back of the screen assembly being slightly different from the i9305 device, which fits the additional capacitors and so forth better.
,I can .. if requested provide photographs of the differences i'm referring to, as I've a number of screens in-house.

Eirwn

Jun 1, 2011
I have also i9305 and my gf has i9300.

i bought some screen protectors and put them on both phones.

on the i9300 fits nice.
on i9305 the edges of the protector do not stick on the screen. and it now has a non pretty margin of unstuck plastic.

it happened after multiple tries with many different protectors.

so i assume that there is a difference betweenthe two screens . some kind of curve is on ii9305 screen.

Reactions: kazmilahore

tamere22

Dec 3, 2010
I have also i9305 and my gf has i9300.

i bought some screen protectors and put them on both phones.

on the i9300 fits nice.
on i9305 the edges of the protector do not stick on the screen. and it now has a non pretty margin of unstuck plastic.

it happened after multiple tries with many different protectors.

so i assume that there is a difference betweenthe two screens . some kind of curve is on ii9305 screen.

Ahaha you made my day.

Anyway, can anyone confirm or not if i9300 amoled screen would go on i9305 ?

Also what u think about chineese screens that says "guenuine" but may not be, would i get crappy screen ?

jedikalimero

Mar 11, 2012
We are talking about two different things here.

Some people are talking about the front glass. This is exactly the same for both models. The S3 LTE (i9305) is the same design but altered for 4G so the motherboard and some antennas have been altered and the metal frame and some other elements needed to be altered too to accommodate the alterations.

Battery and battery cover are also the same. Also the cameras, speaker, vibrator and wifi antenna. I'm not sure about the LCD screen and touch screen but I would say hey are the same too (I'm talking about these two elements alone, not the frame)

If you try to fit a regular i9300 front (frame, LCD, touch screen and glass) to a i9305 motherboard, you will find it doesn't fit perfectly. Main problem is in the different disposition of the big square chips in the motherboard side that touches the front frame. i9300 frame has a rim around those chips that touches the golden line in the motherboard that surrounds them. Just over the microUSB housing there is a part of that rim that enters the squared perimeter. That piece of rim has been removed so the rim in the i9300 frame will avoid the chips in the i9305 motherboard to fit there.
The lower left corner of the frame, near the screw hole, is also a little different, again due to an alteration in the rim.
Finally, the i9300 frame has a tiny metal bit in the very lower left corner, near the mic that avoids the plastic back middle cover of the i9305 to fit perfectly. that's because this cover houses at the bottom an antenna (I guess this is the 4G antenna) that is slightly bigger that the one in the i9300. You can think you could use the i9300 middle cover instead, but then you would be fitting the phone with a 3G antenna instead of 4G. what's more, this antenna has 3 points to connect with the motherboard while the i9300 antenna has only 2 points.

The reason the home button doesn't work is because the home button is not connected to the motherboard through the main connector but using two spots that you can see just over the mic white rubber housing. since the motherboard is not down to the position it should, it will not touch those spots.

Still, I believe there is a solution and it consists in using a Dremel tool to remove all the aforementioned parts of the i9300 metal frame so the i9305 motherboard and middle cover fit correctly.
Some precautions have to be taken. Covering the holes in the frame to avoid metal splinters entering the LCD circuits and painting the removed parts properly to avoid contact of the metal with the motherboard circuits.
I haven't tried it personally but I'm probable going to do it this weekend so I will tell you how it goes.

And next some pictures illustrating everything I explained:

ugly_bob

May 10, 2010
Thanks for this, jedikalimero, this is exactly the information I needed.

In theory would it be possible to disassemble the entire front assembly of an I9300 to get the digitiser and screen panel out and attach to the front assembly of an I9305 so the gaps match up on the board?

Pretty much what I'm thinking of doing is replacing the cracked digitiser of an I9305 with the digitiser of an I9300. As you have shown, the front panel assembly would not be compatible, but I was thinking of disassembling the I9300 assembly and doing what I mentioned above.

I know the screen assembly is quite difficult to take apart as a lot of it is held together with glue rather than screws so it might not be worth the effort. Just thought I'd ask anyway.

jedikalimero

Mar 11, 2012

In theory would it be possible to disassemble the entire front assembly of an I9300 to get the digitiser and screen panel out and attach to the front assembly of an I9305 so the gaps match up on the board?

Pretty much what I'm thinking of doing is replacing the cunrepairableitiser of an I9305 with the digitiser of an I9300. As you have shown, the front panel assembly would not be compatible, but I was thinking of disassembling the I9300 assembly and doing what I mentioned above.

I know the screen assembly is quite difficult to take apart as a lot of it is held together with glue rather than screws so it might not be worth the effort. Just thought I'd ask anyway.

Forget it. It is practically impossible to remove the lcd and touch sensor from the frame without damaging them. Even removing the top Gorilla glass is a very difficult and risky task since it is fully glued to the touch sensor and this to the lcd and this to the frame. Not only the edges but all the surface. Samsung worked very hard to make the front assembly unrepairable.
You could buy just the lcd and touch sensor and put them in the emptied frame of your broken screen but you still have to save the touch buttons and put a new front glass. I've compared the prices of the lcd+touch sensor assembly and the prices of the full front assembly and it isn't worth the effort. Just buy a front assembly for your S3 LTE and sell the broken one at ebay.

ugly_bob

May 10, 2010
Forget it. It is practically impossible to remove the lcd and touch sensor from the frame without damaging them. Even removing the top Gorilla glass is a very difficult and risky task since it is fully glued to the touch sensor and this to the lcd and this to the frame. Not only the edges but all the surface. Samsung worked very hard to make the front assembly unrepairable.
You could buy just the lcd and touch sensor and put them in the emptied frame of your broken screen but you still have to save the touch buttons and put a new front glass. I've compared the prices of the lcd+touch sensor assembly and the prices of the full front assembly and it isn't worth the effort. Just buy a front assembly for your S3 LTE and sell the broken one at ebay.

I thought that might be the case, thanks for the advice.

Chevan94

Aug 30, 2011
Kraków
i9305 and i9300 are the same except for a little differences in the motherboard and LTE antenna. You can safely change the screen ;)

Mkc2lr

Mar 1, 2014
More simple...

Some people are talking about the front glass. This is exactly the same for both models. The S3 LTE (i9305) is the same design but altered for 4G so the motherboard and some antennas have been altered and the metal frame and some other elements needed to be altered too to accommodate the alterations.

Battery and battery cover are also the same. Also the cameras, speaker, vibrator and wifi antenna. I'm not sure about the LCD screen and touch screen but I would say hey are the same too (I'm talking about these two elements alone, not the frame)

If you try to fit a regular i9300 front (frame, LCD, touch screen and glass) to a i9305 motherboard, you will find it doesn't fit perfectly. Main problem is in the different disposition of the big square chips in the motherboard side that touches the front frame. i9300 frame has a rim around those chips that touches the golden line in the motherboard that surrounds them. Just over the microUSB housing there is a part of that rim that enters the squared perimeter. That piece of rim has been removed so the rim in the i9300 frame will avoid the chips in the i9305 motherboard to fit there.
The lower left corner of the frame, near the screw hole, is also a little different, again due to an alteration in the rim.
Finally, the i9300 frame has a tiny metal bit in the very lower left corner, near the mic that avoids the plastic back middle cover of the i9305 to fit perfectly. that's because this cover houses at the bottom an antenna (I guess this is the 4G antenna) that is slightly bigger that the one in the i9300. You can think you could use the i9300 middle cover instead, but then you would be fitting the phone with a 3G antenna instead of 4G. what's more, this antenna has 3 points to connect with the motherboard while the i9300 antenna has only 2 points.

The reason the home button doesn't work is because the home button is not connected to the motherboard through the main connector but using two spots that you can see just over the mic white rubber housing. since the motherboard is not down to the position it should, it will not touch those spots.

Still, I believe there is a solution and it consists in using a Dremel tool to remove all the aforementioned parts of the i9300 metal frame so the i9305 motherboard and middle cover fit correctly.
Some precautions have to be taken. Covering the holes in the frame to avoid metal splinters entering the LCD circuits and painting the removed parts properly to avoid contact of the metal with the motherboard circuits.
I haven't tried it personally but I'm probable going to do it this weekend so I will tell you how it goes.

I tried it a little differently:
Instead of removing the metal legs on the display, I put some clear tape on those areas causing a short on the mainboard. As this doesn't make the PCB fitting mechanically to the display, I didn't tighten the black center screw very much. If you then use a dremel for the midframe, everything works technically and also the gap on the left bottom disappears.
I was afraid of metal flitter in the electronics when cutting the metal legs. Obviously, the mainboard is very robust. Even tough I caused several times a short by the wrong display, everything is still fine....

cce121

Nov 26, 2013
Loud speaker assemble?

Anyone knows whether I can fit i9300's loudspeaker(wifi,gps,headphone jack) assemble in i9305?
Any extra antenna there?
I'm afraid 9305's 4g antenna is there..

jedikalimero

Mar 11, 2012
Anyone knows whether I can fit i9300's loudspeaker(wifi,gps,headphone jack) assemble in i9305?
Any extra antenna there?
I'm afraid 9305's 4g antenna is there..

not 100% sure but the tracks that can be seen under the white paint (or black paint) on the outside of the piece are different in shape from i9300 to i9305

What is sure is there is at least one antenna inside the piece, maybe two

jansna

Aug 29, 2008
Jedikalimero,
thank you very much for this info & pictures!

I've applied your solution (Dremel tool, holes covered by clear tape and then to isolate chips and brushed parts) and it works like a champ!

Regards,
Jan, Prague, Czech Republic

Reactions: jedikalimero

cce121

Nov 26, 2013
not 100% sure but the tracks that can be seen under the white paint (or black paint) on the outside of the piece are different in shape from i9300 to i9305

What is sure is there is at least one antenna inside the piece, maybe two

From the photos I have inspected,the number pins in that particular assemble in i9300 n i9305 are the same and appeared in the same place. Can't judge from 9300's photo though. In fact in my i9305, that part say i9300 on outside.:eek:

Not sure if my unit had been tinkered before as i bought it as a 1month old 2nd hand unit.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

They are the same. I've fixed several i9305 phones with the i9300 front screens :good:

I doubt they've been successful repairs that's went off without a hitch in that case..
    The thing is the back of the screen on the i9300 and i9305 differs a slight, (i'm talking about the iron/steel bit on the back of a complete assembled screen) this won't accommodate the motherboard on the various units .. apparently the i9305 has a few more transistors or the like on the motherboard..

Example: i9300 screen assembly, i9305 mid frame..
    The motherboard wont slot down properly, leading to the bottom left corner (Seen from behind) to not go down properly, which in turn leads to the mid frame siting a slight skewed, which also means that the battery cover won't fit properly, as the bottom left corner will be lifted enough to where it might fall off without much strain.

This is due to the the ironmolding on the back of the screen assembly being slightly different from the i9305 device, which fits the additional capacitors and so forth better.
    ,I can .. if requested provide photographs of the differences i'm referring to, as I've a number of screens in-house.

Pretty much what I'm thinking of doing is replacing the cunrepairableitiser of an I9305 with the digitiser of an I9300. As you have shown, the front panel assembly would not be compatible, but I was thinking of disassembling the I9300 assembly and doing what I mentioned above.

Only differences are the motherboard and the antenna module.