Thanks Meter: 126

More
Thanks dude,

build prop worked like a charm.
1st October 2017, 08:03 PM |#422  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 10

More
To anyone finding their way here after buying a refurbished Kobo on eBay in September 2017, here is my recommendation for a quick and easy root: towelroot v1. Since Kobo stopped updating this tab, the exploit used for towelroot was never patched (the Kobo kernel, dated Feb 12th, 2014, pre-dates the exploit being patched on June 3rd, 2014). You can find towelroot v1 here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...32&postcount=5
Towelroot v3 does not seem to work with this device, so use v1 from the link.

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotfoodisgood

I was stuck and this worked for me. If anyone is coming here from seeing the Arc10HD on RFD, definitely try this.

I got the Arc 7HD (from RFD), and I was able to use towelroot. I don't know if the Arc 10HD has a newer kernel, but if it does not, this is the way to go. See my above post.
The Following User Says Thank You to dhomas For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dhomas Ad-Free
4th October 2017, 12:57 AM |#423  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhomas

To anyone finding their way here after buying a refurbished Kobo on eBay in September 2017, here is my recommendation for a quick and easy root: towelroot v1. Since Kobo stopped updating this tab, the exploit used for towelroot was never patched (the Kobo kernel, dated Feb 12th, 2014, pre-dates the exploit being patched on June 3rd, 2014). You can find towelroot v1 here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...32&postcount=5
Towelroot v3 does not seem to work with this device, so use v1 from the link.

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

I got the Arc 7HD (from RFD), and I was able to use towelroot. I don't know if the Arc 10HD has a newer kernel, but if it does not, this is the way to go. See my above post.

Hi
Thanks for the tip.
I also got a 7HD - upon rooting, did you make any tweaks for performance?
I find the 7HD to be quite sluggish - and this is with a fresh setup.
Did you remove any apks?
Any changes to any kernel scheduling parameters?
Any tweaks for performance?

TIA
6th October 2017, 02:25 AM |#424  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 222

More
Bought this cheap tablet for Ebook reading. Not extremely important, BUT are there any custom Roms for this tablet? Old Android on devices is a peeve of mine..
2TF0801 - Kobo Arc 10HD 16 GB Tablet
7th October 2017, 09:37 AM |#425  
Flag Delta
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I used KingRoot to root the tablet and then create my hacked ROM. No real custom ROMS for the 7HD with the exception of my Google Wizard version which gives root and no requirement to have a Kobo Account once it's flashed. Plus I got rid of the damn Kobo launcher that thing was krusty.
11th October 2017, 09:07 AM |#426  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty72

I am not a Android ROM developer.
Please proceed at your own risk.

Arc 10HD only
I've mocked up a build.prop file that seems to remove the restrictions on the Play store.
Its a combination of the factory ROM and CM12.1.1
Please be careful...I killed my ROM numerous times and needed to re-install the fresh copy of the ROM through TWRP while trying to find the magic build.prop parameter.
There were no hang-ups installing the build.prop into a fresh CM12.1.1 install (or partially stale install).

To install (worked for me, you may not require all the steps):
1. Disable Wifi
2. Clear all data from the Play app (through settings->Apps->google Play Store->Clear Data/Cache)
3. Clear all data from the Play Services App (through settings->Apps->Google Play Services->Manage Space->Clear All Data)
4. Copy the build.prop file to /system (using file manager and root enabled)
5. Change the permissions of the file to 0600 (just in case it got modified)
6. Reboot
7. Enable Wifi
8. Enjoy Play Store compatibility (Chrome, Facebook, etc...)

File:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...3ctN0dIUnJ0bjA

Sorry for the repeated warning. Just want to ensure there are no misconceptions.

Thanks for the build.prop. It works quite well. Apps that were previously "Not compatible with your device", no longer get this message.

However, I can't even locate the Netflix app in the Play Store. Anyone else having this issue?
5th November 2017, 03:22 PM |#427  
Thanks Meter: 508

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhomas

Thanks for the build.prop. It works quite well. Apps that were previously "Not compatible with your device", no longer get this message.

However, I can't even locate the Netflix app in the Play Store. Anyone else having this issue?

It's because you're rooted. Netflix won't display for anyone who's rooted. You can side load it, like I did, but the videos won't play.
5th November 2017, 10:22 PM |#428  
Thanks Meter: 508

More
To transfer backups to PC, I am unable to mount the SD card in TWRP. I see the backups are created in a 'clockworksmod' folder, but I can't see that folder using root browser in cm12. Anybody been able to transfer their backup to their PC?
Edit: Found em in Data/media/clockworkmod
11th December 2017, 05:11 AM |#429  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Can someone please build a KitKat or Lollipop for Arc 7 HD? amazing resolution but stuck with Jelly Bean!!!
1st January 2018, 10:23 PM |#430  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have a Kobo arc 7HD, with Android 4.2.2, and when I try to run Impactor, I'm receiving an error message:
adb.cpp:535
"INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_APK"
After this message, the root stops and it's not rooting my device. Does anybody know what should I do to have my device rooted?
Thanks
3rd January 2018, 07:08 PM |#431  
Flag Sherbrooke
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonb

Bought this cheap tablet for Ebook reading. Not extremely important, BUT are there any custom Roms for this tablet? Old Android on devices is a peeve of mine..
2TF0801 - Kobo Arc 10HD 16 GB Tablet

Go to previous pages in this thread or head to Github: https://github.com/tdro/android_devi...HD-Tablet-Wiki
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
10hd, 7hd, development, kobo arc, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)