build prop worked like a charm.
To anyone finding their way here after buying a refurbished Kobo on eBay in September 2017, here is my recommendation for a quick and easy root: towelroot v1. Since Kobo stopped updating this tab, the exploit used for towelroot was never patched (the Kobo kernel, dated Feb 12th, 2014, pre-dates the exploit being patched on June 3rd, 2014). You can find towelroot v1 here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...32&postcount=5
Towelroot v3 does not seem to work with this device, so use v1 from the link.
---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------
I got the Arc 7HD (from RFD), and I was able to use towelroot. I don't know if the Arc 10HD has a newer kernel, but if it does not, this is the way to go. See my above post.
I am not a Android ROM developer.
Please proceed at your own risk.
Arc 10HD only
I've mocked up a build.prop file that seems to remove the restrictions on the Play store.
Its a combination of the factory ROM and CM12.1.1
Please be careful...I killed my ROM numerous times and needed to re-install the fresh copy of the ROM through TWRP while trying to find the magic build.prop parameter.
There were no hang-ups installing the build.prop into a fresh CM12.1.1 install (or partially stale install).
To install (worked for me, you may not require all the steps):
1. Disable Wifi
2. Clear all data from the Play app (through settings->Apps->google Play Store->Clear Data/Cache)
3. Clear all data from the Play Services App (through settings->Apps->Google Play Services->Manage Space->Clear All Data)
4. Copy the build.prop file to /system (using file manager and root enabled)
5. Change the permissions of the file to 0600 (just in case it got modified)
7. Enable Wifi
8. Enjoy Play Store compatibility (Chrome, Facebook, etc...)
Sorry for the repeated warning. Just want to ensure there are no misconceptions.
|10hd, 7hd, development, kobo arc, root|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|