[Q] GPE 4.4.3 Update Problems

Search This thread

critterhart

Oct 7, 2009
So I have Tmobile HTC One, rooted, S-off, converted to GPE.

I got the update today, ran it. I have TWRP. It installed, then the boot animation came up, and my screen stayed on but was blank for over 5 minutes. I rebooted it, same thing. I rebooted and cleared Dalvik Cache & Cache. Same thing.

It now wouldn't stay turned off. So I left it sitting while I started looking for some info, about 15 minutes later I heard noises. Saw that my phone had come all the way up. Joyous & Happy I started looking around. Found that it removed a couple of my apps. No bigger. Then I saw weird graphical glitches at the bottom of the screen.

Got worried, tried to reboot. The screen darkened, but the reboot options never came up. I forced it to reboot, it comes up fast like its supposed too. Same thing though. Weird graphical glitches, and no reboot menu.

I'm afraid I screwed it up when I cleared the cache while it was obviously still initializing the install.

First off, any ideas?
Second, can I just rerun the OTA once its posted online?

My WiFi works better now, I love the new dialer.

Reactions: ericiidx

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
Not sure if it flashed properly for you. No you can't re-apply an OTA update. For now if you're rooted, the easiest thing to do is flash a 4.4.2 GPE ROM and wait for a ROM dev to integrate the 4.4.3 update in their ROM. It's possible to apply an OTA rooted but if any change except root and busybox, the update should fail. The firmware update may have failed with TWRP or TWRP may also not have applied the OTA properly.

critterhart

Oct 7, 2009
Not sure if it flashed properly for you. No you can't re-apply an OTA update. For now if you're rooted, the easiest thing to do is flash a 4.4.2 GPE ROM and wait for a ROM dev to integrate the 4.4.3 update in their ROM. It's possible to apply an OTA rooted but if any change except root and busybox, the update should fail. The firmware update may have failed with TWRP or TWRP may also not have applied the OTA properly.

I am fully stock GPE. I'd rather stay that way. Is it possible to drop an older OTA, like the 442 on and then either wait for the 443 OTA to come back down or to drop it on myself?

I figured TWRP was the blame. I remember I had to switch to stock Recovery just to get 442 back in the day.

But it sounds like your saying I couldn't switch to Stock Recovery and then reapply the 443 OTA.

critterhart

Oct 7, 2009
Just an update, so I am able to reapply the OTA. It still did the same thing, but now I am going to drop the Stock Recovery on and do it again. Here's hopin'!

majmoz

Oct 18, 2010
Sonoita
Just an update, so I am able to reapply the OTA. It still did the same thing, but now I am going to drop the Stock Recovery on and do it again. Here's hopin'!

FYI, you can not apply an older RUU if you are not S-OFF. OTA's are version specific going from an older version to a newer version. I believe that is the reason that you can not apply them again. You might want to check fastboot getvar all to see what is really on your phone.

critterhart

Oct 7, 2009
FYI, you can not apply an older RUU if you are not S-OFF. OTA's are version specific going from an older version to a newer version. I believe that is the reason that you can not apply them again. You might want to check fastboot getvar all to see what is really on your phone.

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.54.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.21.3263.03
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 3.62.1700.1
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0713000
(bootloader) cidnum: GOOGL001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3691mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-0e82187e
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!

brassm22

Jun 4, 2014

ericiidx

Dec 19, 2012
Thanks in advance! I'm in the same boat (M7 converted to GPE 4.4.2 with TWRP) and my screen has been on but blank for the past 5 minutes. I'll give it another 10, and if that fails, opt for the stock recovery.

As I was typing this, the launcher came up finally. I also had about 1/3 of my apps removed, and am getting graphical glitches. So, time for that stock recovery!

Oh, also, my power button won't turn the screen off. :eek:

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Hi, I'm experiencing the same issue but am not able to get the 4.4.3 to reload using the links you provided. Would you be willing to outline the steps for me?

Thank you!

For this to work, you need S-OFF and an unlocked bootloader. It also stands that you are running GPE 4.4.2 (or have just updated to 4.4.3 and are having this problem.) This does not apply to any other ROM/RUU.

Download the latest GPE recovery from the first link; http://d-h.st/2F9. For ease of use, rename this file to recovery.img.

Also download the 4.4.3 OTA update from the second link. Put this on your phone's storage whenever you can.

Plug your phone into your computer via USB, open a command prompt, and type adb reboot bootloader

Once your phone reboots and you get your bootloader menu, type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (it's the stock GPE recovery file you downloaded before.)

Reboot your phone.

Let the phone boot up, then type adb reboot bootloader again. Now, choose recovery to enter recovery. If you get any error (such as a KO'ed Android with a warning symbol above his head) hold VOL-UP and press the power button. You may need to do this multiple times. Your end goal is getting a menu, and you need to choose "apply from phone storage"

Find the 4.4.3 OTA file you downloaded before (the large ZIP file) and select it to install.

You should be done and good to go at this point.

I'd also like to add that TWRP was indeed to blame, as can be the case when OTAs come around. Using the GPE stock recovery got rid of the graphical glitches and slowdown. Now to just redownload the apps it decided to remove :p

TomFader

Dec 21, 2013
Hey, i also updatet while having twrp, but my phone gut stuck,
so i followed instruction in these thread.

Okay, so I flashed google recoery from the link, but now i'm stuck.

How can i transfer the 4.4.3 update to my htc m7 phone storage, so I can apply it.

I managed to get to the a"pply from phone storage" menu.
Can you add some hints on how to transfer the zip file to the phone and where exactle to put it so the update wents through smoothly?

Seems I don't see my phone, while doing "adb devices".
I'm on windows 8, maybe that's the cause. Any Ideas?

Kind regards

Last edited:

brassm22

Jun 4, 2014
Thank you for the instructions, I have tried this, without any luck.

I can get to 4.4.3, but always with corrupted display.

I've tried;

Install 4.4.2 RUU via fastboot. (RUU from Link
Boot into Android.
Reboot to fastboot
Install recovery.img as listed in your post.
Reboot into Android.
Install OTA through Android.

This stuck me with the graphical errors (although the install went smoothly).

I then download the OTA file, placed it in downloads and ran it manually from the recovery menu.

I feel like I might be missing something obvious, but the process seems quite simple, and I've been on stock recovery for quite some time now (was able to OTA the 4.4.2 when it came out).

Anyways, thanks for your time and effort all the same, I think I'll just keep with 4.4.2 for now.

Thanks in advance! I'm in the same boat (M7 converted to GPE 4.4.2 with TWRP) and my screen has been on but blank for the past 5 minutes. I'll give it another 10, and if that fails, opt for the stock recovery.

As I was typing this, the launcher came up finally. I also had about 1/3 of my apps removed, and am getting graphical glitches. So, time for that stock recovery!

Oh, also, my power button won't turn the screen off. :eek:

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

For this to work, you need S-OFF and an unlocked bootloader. It also stands that you are running GPE 4.4.2 (or have just updated to 4.4.3 and are having this problem.) This does not apply to any other ROM/RUU.

Download the latest GPE recovery from the first link; http://d-h.st/2F9. For ease of use, rename this file to recovery.img.

Also download the 4.4.3 OTA update from the second link. Put this on your phone's storage whenever you can.

Plug your phone into your computer via USB, open a command prompt, and type adb reboot bootloader

Once your phone reboots and you get your bootloader menu, type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (it's the stock GPE recovery file you downloaded before.)

Reboot your phone.

Let the phone boot up, then type adb reboot bootloader again. Now, choose recovery to enter recovery. If you get any error (such as a KO'ed Android with a warning symbol above his head) hold VOL-UP and press the power button. You may need to do this multiple times. Your end goal is getting a menu, and you need to choose "apply from phone storage"

Find the 4.4.3 OTA file you downloaded before (the large ZIP file) and select it to install.

You should be done and good to go at this point.

I'd also like to add that TWRP was indeed to blame, as can be the case when OTAs come around. Using the GPE stock recovery got rid of the graphical glitches and slowdown. Now to just redownload the apps it decided to remove :p

ericiidx

Dec 19, 2012
Thank you for the instructions, I have tried this, without any luck.

I can get to 4.4.3, but always with corrupted display.

I've tried;

Install 4.4.2 RUU via fastboot. (RUU from Link
Boot into Android.
Reboot to fastboot
Install recovery.img as listed in your post.
Reboot into Android.
Install OTA through Android.

This stuck me with the graphical errors (although the install went smoothly).

I then download the OTA file, placed it in downloads and ran it manually from the recovery menu.

I feel like I might be missing something obvious, but the process seems quite simple, and I've been on stock recovery for quite some time now (was able to OTA the 4.4.2 when it came out).

Anyways, thanks for your time and effort all the same, I think I'll just keep with 4.4.2 for now.

Sounds like you got it. I had to install the OTA via recovery because I had already updated the OS to 4.4.3, and wasn't interested in formatting/flashing down to 4.4.2 to redo the process. If you are still on 4.4.2, you could just install it via the natural OTA process in Android. I would just recommend being on stock recovery to avoid any glitches.

Hey, i also updatet while having twrp, but my phone gut stuck,
so i followed instruction in these thread.

Okay, so I flashed google recoery from the link, but now i'm stuck.

How can i transfer the 4.4.3 update to my htc m7 phone storage, so I can apply it.

I managed to get to the a"pply from phone storage" menu.
Can you add some hints on how to transfer the zip file to the phone and where exactle to put it so the update wents through smoothly?

Seems I don't see my phone, while doing "adb devices".
I'm on windows 8, maybe that's the cause. Any Ideas?

Kind regards

Sure! While you are in the bootloader menu, your phone is in "fastboot mode" I suppose you could call it. It hasn't initiated the Windows driver at this point, so you are only connected to your phone as a dumb terminal. It will respond to fastboot commands only.

There is the command fastboot update <filename>, but I'm not sure if it would be appropriate for an OTA update. It sounds like it would be appropriate, but I'm not sure. I won't recommend it right now because I don't want you to possibly harm your device!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I have Tmobile HTC One, rooted, S-off, converted to GPE.

I got the update today, ran it. I have TWRP. It installed, then the boot animation came up, and my screen stayed on but was blank for over 5 minutes. I rebooted it, same thing. I rebooted and cleared Dalvik Cache & Cache. Same thing.

It now wouldn't stay turned off. So I left it sitting while I started looking for some info, about 15 minutes later I heard noises. Saw that my phone had come all the way up. Joyous & Happy I started looking around. Found that it removed a couple of my apps. No bigger. Then I saw weird graphical glitches at the bottom of the screen.

Got worried, tried to reboot. The screen darkened, but the reboot options never came up. I forced it to reboot, it comes up fast like its supposed too. Same thing though. Weird graphical glitches, and no reboot menu.

I'm afraid I screwed it up when I cleared the cache while it was obviously still initializing the install.

First off, any ideas?
    Second, can I just rerun the OTA once its posted online?

My WiFi works better now, I love the new dialer.