[Q] Kindle hd 8.9 stuck in slow mode after failed re root

Search This thread

benee16

Jun 16, 2014
My kindle hd 8.9 was re rooted using bin4ry v31 after the last ota update 8.4.8. It worked fine. Now there was another ota update to 8.4.9 on 6/14/14. I tried using the same method as before. ADB is enabled in my kindle, I am seeing Android Composite ADB interface. when I plug the kindle in. I got through part of the re root, where it rebooted, and now it is extremely slow, has a black screen with white cracked lines to slide in open, and although some things work they are very very slow. Please can someone either help me re root or unroot it so that the kindle runs normally. I don't know what mode that slow one is, but you can't do much of anything. I tried to roo a few times, and tried to put in the stock kindle update and re run it, but nothing is working to get it out of the slow mode. Right now my computer can see and put things onto the kindle, and when trying to root, it seems like it is trying to work, but since the kindle is slow, I don't know if it is getting stuck and not finishing.
Can you help me figure out what is wrong?

Nanaki-seto

Jun 3, 2014
akron ohio
My kindle hd 8.9 was re rooted using bin4ry v31 after the last ota update 8.4.8. It worked fine. Now there was another ota update to 8.4.9 on 6/14/14. I tried using the same method as before. ADB is enabled in my kindle, I am seeing Android Composite ADB interface. when I plug the kindle in. I got through part of the re root, where it rebooted, and now it is extremely slow, has a black screen with white cracked lines to slide in open, and although some things work they are very very slow. Please can someone either help me re root or unroot it so that the kindle runs normally. I don't know what mode that slow one is, but you can't do much of anything. I tried to roo a few times, and tried to put in the stock kindle update and re run it, but nothing is working to get it out of the slow mode. Right now my computer can see and put things onto the kindle, and when trying to root, it seems like it is trying to work, but since the kindle is slow, I don't know if it is getting stuck and not finishing.

Yep sucks for us for now it seems
Mine is in the same state. To unslow mo it all i found that works is using recovery mode to erase every single thing on it. This will speed it back up to normal. Beyond that i don't have a clue what to do.

You can enter recovery mode if you dont know how by pressing volume down and power. Or dl droid explorer run it click the multi colored shield icon and reboot to recovery.

I would hold off for now though. As one of these guys may have a way to save you all the head aches i have now. I had psp emulator playstation emu nintendo ds dolphin aka game cube and wii all running properly now all gone. go figure. Pain in the rear to get em all running properly. Oh worst bit loosing my crisis core newgame + save lvl 35+ with all items etc etc. Was gona put the hurt on every thing LOL

Oh and if theres any amazon employees lurking and reading great job on becoming a apple clone wanabe In other words amazon you all need to get a grip. People want to customize their tablets and have something that runs like mad with out regards to warranty. We want our tablets the way we want them not the way you want them. No one likes apple with their forced updaties etc

akb1ajay

Jun 8, 2014

Factory reset is always better than flashing and other serious tinkering. kindle hd 8.9 is still rootable with 8.4.9 update, I did it and another member KatanAlive have done it.

benee16

Jun 16, 2014
What method did you use to root? There are a few different methods. used bin4ry v31 I used the old special option, then also tried the old option.

Nanaki-seto

Jun 3, 2014
akron ohio
Factory reset is always better than flashing and other serious tinkering. kindle hd 8.9 is still rootable with 8.4.9 update, I did it and another member KatanAlive have done it.

Ive tried various tools etc. While it seems i am able to get root i can not for example view the root directory in adb shell. I can kill any process under ps list even ones ran by root. Again the root directory shows as empty under ls. Running the superuser app that does show under apps seems t do nothing (im assuming this is because root is already active by this point) It does load but nothing in log window. Also it remains stuck running extremely slow. I can not install google frame work etc.

What i want to do is just go with a custom rom and be done with this mess. After all if amazon managed to force updates on kindles with ota disabled and blocked once they will likely be able to do so again. So theres zero point in staying on a stock rom even downgraded and or rooted.

Now the only problem there is it seems rom update requires fastboot? If this is not the case what are the steps to go about it by a different means? Or what methods other than fastboot cables are there to force it in to fastboot with out ripping in to the kindlefire hd 8.9 in my case?

akb1ajay

Jun 8, 2014
What method did you use to root? There are a few different methods. used bin4ry v31 I used the old special option, then also tried the old option.

I used manual method described in this thread and yesterday another member also used this same method to root the Kindle with update 8.4.9 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069117

I have been extensively reading this forum for rooting Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and I have seen people failed just because of a simple mistake or not starting afresh. Many people were able to overcome their anomalous problem just by a factory reset and then starting again the process of rooting.

No one knows at which step problem started to appear until you clarify completely that what method you were following, or did you install some other drivers mentioned in another method, or did you interrupted the progress, or any other tinkering you had had done earlier with Kindle.
Every method pre assumes that your device is in default condition and your PC has favourable environment for the completion of the rooting process. Like a meber was following the process of rooting and when a stage came to enter his Amazon password, he entered the password but the process could not be continued, because his Kindle was not registered , so even after entering the correct password the process was aborted. Later he registered his Kindle and started agin and it was rooted.

benee16

Jun 16, 2014
So true what you've said about it not being a fresh root. I am going to try a few more times to root, then do a factory reset. My kindle could use a fresh start, but I thought I'd try just for future knowledge. If anyone else comes back from the slow kindle stage, please contribute what you've done to fix it because it may help someone else resolve their issues.

benee16

Jun 16, 2014
I decided to do a full restore. Then I was able to use a bin4ry script for kindles to root. Now I am having difficulty getting google play to work again. I keep getting an error not enough space on the partition \system. Free up 6MB in system and try again. I put a version of google market on to see if there would be a difference. I was able to open it, but nothing will download. Anyone else have any experience with this problem?

akb1ajay

Jun 8, 2014
I decided to do a full restore. Then I was able to use a bin4ry script for kindles to root. Now I am having difficulty getting google play to work again. I keep getting an error not enough space on the partition \system. Free up 6MB in system and try again. I put a version of google market on to see if there would be a difference. I was able to open it, but nothing will download. Anyone else have any experience with this problem?

If you have rooted Kindle "not enough space" problem can be easily resolved. Is your Kindle rooted?

akb1ajay

Jun 8, 2014
Yes my kindle fire hd 8.9 is rooted. I currently have version 8.4.9 software from amazon.

I too have had this low space problem after updating to 8.4.9. I was despaired but after searching the internet for 2/3 hours I found the solution. First thing you need to do is to get Titanium Backup from somewhere. It has the capacity to convert system app to user app and this will free up some ROM space so you can install Google Play afterward. Convert one by one some system apps that are not critical to Kindle's functioning, to user app. For example, you can convert Silk browser, Amazon Video, Amazon music, Kindle tutorial, Office Suite to user app. The moment you have above 20 MB free space in ROM you can install there Google Play. I am not sure if a free version of Titanium Backup have this functionality or not, I have installed a pro version of it. If free version is of no use then get a pro version from somewhere. I think you know where to get it from. Good Luck.:)

Reactions: benee16

benee16

Jun 16, 2014
Wow thanks so much for the info. I did not have the pro version of titanium. Instead I used /system /app mover which is a free app. I changed a few system files to user files like suggested and am now able to use google play. I made sure I could download apps from it also, and it worked just fine. Now I have to re download apps I lost when I had to restore.

Last edited:

akb1ajay

Jun 8, 2014
Wow thanks so much for the info. I did not have the pro version of titanium. Instead I used /system /app mover which is a free app. I changed a few system files to user files like suggested and am now able to use google play. I made sure I could download apps from it also, and it worked just fine. Now I have to re download apps I lost when I had to restore.

:good:

would not you press Thanks Button?;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes my kindle fire hd 8.9 is rooted. I currently have version 8.4.9 software from amazon.

I too have had this low space problem after updating to 8.4.9. I was despaired but after searching the internet for 2/3 hours I found the solution. First thing you need to do is to get Titanium Backup from somewhere. It has the capacity to convert system app to user app and this will free up some ROM space so you can install Google Play afterward. Convert one by one some system apps that are not critical to Kindle's functioning, to user app. For example, you can convert Silk browser, Amazon Video, Amazon music, Kindle tutorial, Office Suite to user app. The moment you have above 20 MB free space in ROM you can install there Google Play. I am not sure if a free version of Titanium Backup have this functionality or not, I have installed a pro version of it. If free version is of no use then get a pro version from somewhere. I think you know where to get it from. Good Luck.:)