[APP][5.0+] Focus by Firefox

Search This thread

lexcyn

Apr 4, 2010
Sudbury
I saw this posted and decided to compile it for myself. Maybe some other people would like to try it out as well.
This is taken directly from source with no modifications.

Firefox Focus for Android

Browse like no one’s watching. The new Firefox Focus automatically blocks a wide range of online trackers — from the moment you launch it to the second you leave it. Easily erase your history, passwords and cookies, so you won’t get followed by things like unwanted ads.

For more information please see the following links:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/05/10/hands-firefox-focus-ported-android-shows-promise/
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2016/11/17/introducing-firefox-focus-a-free-fast-and-easy-to-use-private-browser-for-ios/

Updated as of: July 11th, 2018

Focus has switched to full Gecko rendering now - they also have aarch64 and ARM versions, so I have compiled one of each. Builds are debug again due to apk signing!

Downloads can now be found in the "downloads" tab of this project.

And by request, here's a folder for viewing on mobile devices:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3lu8a3qcfubda

XDA:DevDB Information
Focus by Firefox, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
lexcyn
Source Code: https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/focus-android

Version Information

Created 2017-05-11
Last Updated 2018-07-13

dnle71

Nov 9, 2011
Thanks! I'm kind of not in the mood of testing both which is better right now. Can you tell me which version you'd recommend? Which is faster maybe?

edit: nvm, looks like i'm going to get the webview version

Last edited:

sabret00the

Apr 15, 2011
London
s00techified.wordpress.com
Yeah it seems like it's still in early days. If you look at the git log they are going to be adding Sync soon, and possibly tabbed browsing. I love the look and feel of it though!
Two actions that I tried to do was open something in a background tab and also share a picture. Couldn't do either. I'm hoping that this can be successful as a more lightweight and privacy centric version of the main browser.

lexcyn

Apr 4, 2010
Sudbury
Two actions that I tried to do was open something in a background tab and also share a picture. Couldn't do either. I'm hoping that this can be successful as a more lightweight and privacy centric version of the main browser.

Yeah the options are very limited. You can share a page via the menu and open in another browser... but that's pretty much it right now. I do have to stay it's *very* fast in benchmarks with Webkit though, which is promising.

lexcyn

Apr 4, 2010
Sudbury
Updated the WebKit version.

Some of the changes include showing the number of blocked objects on the current page, as well the trashcan icon in the taskbar is now the Focus icon (Firefox logo).

Seems like they are changing things often. I've put a request for them to add some sort of versioning in their commits so we know if anything has changed.

Reactions: AdamT6

shhnedo

Apr 26, 2015
Varna
LeEco Le Max 2
Xiaomi Redmi 7
I have to say it's a very smooth browsing experience! I installed the WK beta version. Compared to traditional Firefox, this feels lighter and butter smooth, even though there are features missing. Very interesting how it'll turn out.

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro
Thanks for these builds.

The WebView version does not have an independent engine though, it's basically just another Android WebView browser, and it will crash immediately without some form of WebView installed.

jerryn70

Mar 15, 2012
We already have Firefox browser on play store by Firefox team. So what is the difference in this one ? Is this an updated version comming for the old Firefox ?
Sorry for the noob question:D

joshua764

Jun 11, 2012
mexico df
Please bro.la you can repair.It always says analysis error when installing on Android 7.0

Enviado desde mi XT1635-02 mediante Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts