[Q] Any success exchanging vibrant for a phone with working GPS?

Search This thread

SamsungVibrant

Jul 23, 2010
After asking for a replacement phone yesterday, i received it today even though they said it would take a week. GPS works great! 9 out of 12 birds INSIDE! locks within 10 feet outside. AWESOME!! if anyone else's doesn't work I STRONGLY suggest asking for a new one! its worth the time, believe me!

was it a refurb or brand new?

tony yayo

Oct 15, 2010
Chicago
thats bull, your gps doesn't work, t-mobile should send you a replacement, why would they make you go through the hassle of contacting samsung. Never heard of such a thing. Another example of how T-mobile is better off being sold, they aren't the company they once were.

They did say they would only replace it once but it was still under warranty. Just keep at em and don't take no for an answer. They will tell you its a software issue and I told them about the hardware fix and that I didn't want to ruin my warranty. Ask for a supervisor if you have to. I also asked them how they could knowingly sell over a million defective phones? Maybe that helped?

bigtom624

Jun 23, 2010
Philadelphia Pa.
They did say they would only replace it once but it was still under warranty. Just keep at em and don't take no for an answer. They will tell you its a software issue and I told them about the hardware fix and that I didn't want to ruin my warranty. Ask for a supervisor if you have to. I also asked them how they could knowingly sell over a million defective phones? Maybe that helped?

I said the same thing about a hardware fix and that I tried every other so called fix out there, and that my GPS still doesn't work. He had me hold while he looked up the problem and then told me that Samsung was aware of the problem and that I should contact them and that they would take care of it. That's when I asked why I couldn't get a replacement and then he said that since its a known problem to Samsung that I should get with them.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA Premium App

Mirmensky

Jan 1, 2011
I tried it, the replacement I got was just as old as the one I sent in.
But I saw the thread about the hardware fix and with the help of my wifes steady hands we tried it and it has made my gps issues disappear.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

tony yayo

Oct 15, 2010
Chicago
Don't know if its a refurb or brand new. Looks new to me. The sticker behind the battery says 11.03 which is march of 2011 but it looks different than the sticker on the one I had. I did buy my Vibrant the first week it was out. Either Samsung used a better part by the time they made this one or the replacing of the bad hardware was part of the refurb. They did say they would only replace it once so maybe they knew they had fixed it?

Ask for a supervisor, do whatever you gotta do. I believe in Illinois there is a cellphone lemon law or something so I threw that at em too. Do what you gotta do but don't give up!

tony yayo

Oct 15, 2010
Chicago
I also used the online chat to avoid having to repeat myself and escalating my voice in a pissed off manner and basically to not just stress myself out. I also started cut and pasting links about the gps to them. I thought about asking them to type "samsung vibrant gps" in their google search so they could see all the options that come up: gps fix, gps software fix, gps issues,gps broken, gps problems, yada yada yada and that if you type in "mytouch 4g(or whatever) gps" that you don't see anything. Its not a coincidence that when you search for samsung vibrant gps that almost 1.4 million websites pop up!

throwedyungg

Dec 4, 2010
My GPS hasn't worked for months but with this new s.gps fix along with Sweet Honey and Overstock I get 13 birds at 9 meters in 2-3 seconds. Give it a shot, can't hurt. Good luck!

Sweet Honey 2.7
Overstock 2.1

Yes how sweet Honey is !!! I love it fixed all my issues with this phone!!! I was in the market to buy a new phone but now Im in love with my Honey and no need to check out another chick!

tony yayo

Oct 15, 2010
Chicago
Yes how sweet Honey is !!! I love it fixed all my issues with this phone!!! I was in the market to buy a new phone but now Im in love with my Honey and no need to check out another chick!

Sweet Honey did nothing for me. Oddly enough the gps worked great on stock, flashed bionix and it went back to crap. Hurried up and odin'ed back to stock before it got stuck that way! Still gonna give Bionix another shot though.

pj415

Aug 2, 2007
My gps works as well no gps fix im on an unlocked vibrant running trigger. I did jusytbuy my vibrant brand new from someone in craigslist so i dont know if that makes any diference

Edit

these are my application settings in LbsTestMode (use SGS tools to get into it)

session type >tracking
test mode >s/w test
operation mode >standalone
start mode >hot start
gps plus >on
dynamic acuracy >on
acuracy >1
gps logging >on <----this is very important

Last edited:

b21bballer

Mar 27, 2011
My gps works as well no gps fix im on an unlocked vibrant running trigger. I did jusytbuy my vibrant brand new from someone in craigslist so i dont know if that makes any diference

Edit

these are my application settings in LbsTestMode (use SGS tools to get into it)

session type >tracking
test mode >s/w test
operation mode >standalone
start mode >hot start
gps plus >on
dynamic acuracy >on
acuracy >1
gps logging >on <----this is very important

I'm in the same position, but I can't get anything to work on mine. LbsTestMode gives me no data at all. Is there a fix? I'm using the Trigger v2.8.2 ROM.

LbsTestMode Pic: i51[dot]tinypic[dot]com/18zup4[dot]jpg

rfuen2

Mar 9, 2011
I think that it's all software to tell you the truth. After I switched around and tried different kernels, the GPS started working flawlessly after very poor performance on the stock software that came with my phone. Now it's quicker at locking on than my buddy's Iphone...

tony yayo

Oct 15, 2010
Chicago
I think that it's all software to tell you the truth. After I switched around and tried different kernels, the GPS started working flawlessly after very poor performance on the stock software that came with my phone. Now it's quicker at locking on than my buddy's Iphone...

If it was software it would have been fixed by now and it's not. My new Vibrant the GPS works perfectly! Tried everything else, nothing worked. I'm glad it does now though!

Longcat14

Feb 13, 2011
Dallas
Heh, I guess I got lucky (I bought a october manufactured Vibrant).

My GPS (even on stock) will lock on in 3 seconds from a cold start. It usually finds 14 sats, and locks on to a few of them.

I got lucky. :)

seemabhatia

Feb 13, 2019
GPS tracking device

If you are looking for GPS tracker for your vehicles, you can try OBD tracker from ThinkRace technology. ThinkRace Technology is contributing its technical proficiency to the automobile world with its OBD car trackers. The OBD car tracking is an advanced car diagnostic solution with efficiency to make your car smarter. We provide OBD ii ODM/OEM/JDM service, customize app & application development, technical support & excellent after sale service for our clients to meet up their business requirement. We are the right partner in providing complete smart OBD locator solutions under one roof.