36 posts
Thanks Meter: 22

By poseidon5213, Member on 26th April 2012, 05:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th October 2018, 11:08 AM |#19591  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Nokia
I am hoping to upgrade my long tormented HTC One M8 and was thinking if I should go for the Nokia 8 for around 230$. I have used the Samsung S7 in the past year which I absolutely loved because of the size, MicroSD and camera and that is all I look for in a phone. The Nokia is definitely larger but it seems like a good deal at the price. I could however wait for around 3 months for a price hike on the S9. Do tell me if this is a good buy or not.(I take lots of pictures and have read that the camera is pretty bad)

28th October 2018, 12:48 PM |#19592  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Planning a trip to India, hoping to get 2 phones, budget INR 10,000-16,000 (Around USD 200).

Conditions-
- Must be rootable and has good development community so that it can get at least 2-3 years of support. Youtube Vanced and magisk support is a must. (I don't know if its possible to have root and not magisk but just to make sure.)
- The phone is NOT used for gaming purposes, other than Minecraft at a times.
- A MicroSD card slot preferred.
- 3-4GB RAM and overall hardware good enough to last another couple of years at least.
- Better cameras (I don't need to explain this).
- No Moto E series

Checking on flipkart.com I found following phones
- Motorola One Power
- Mi Max 2
- Mi A1
- Redmi Note 5 Pro
- Asus Zenphone Max Pro M1

Is there any phone I am missing? RealMe Pro 2, Nokia 6.1 Plus also falls in ths budget but AFAIK, they are not rootable. I am settling down on Motorola One Power and Asus Zenphone Max Pro M1 but would like to know if I am missing any other that is better than these 2 phones.

Which phones among these are recommended? I am getting 2 phones, both do not need to be the same.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I would love to get Pocophone F1 but my current budget just does not allow going out of the range.
31st October 2018, 07:40 AM |#19593  

More
Hey guys,

Have been looking on ebay at phones released around 2-3yrs ago for a new(used) upgrade from my current HTC ONE X... but I'm not familiar with all the smartphone tech, or issues, or what's decent/bad etc..

Originally I looked at the LG NEXUS 5X, then read it's got a fault that causes it to fail/Bootloop (eventually). Few people said, there's other phones in similar price range that would be better, though none suggested any (yet). Then I looked at the NEXUS 6P, but, I read again, these have a bootloop fault too ??

Are there any phones that have gotten a good reputation, probably 2014> that still perform well today, but aren't plagued with hardware faults? I don't mind if I have to repair / reflash firmware etc.. as one reason I look at ebay, hope to pickup a phone for cheap (due to broken.. ie screen, not starting up), then fix it.

Price range, around $100, but obviously price for phone will vary depending on phone and condition etc..

[edit] I should have noted, I'm from Australia, so phone prices vary here. Maybe, if you can, throw some suggestions my way, and I'll look around based on what I can spend.

Suggestions on what to look out for ?

Thanks in advance,
31st October 2018, 07:18 PM |#19594  
Flag Gastonia, NC
Thanks Meter: 195

More
So as someone in the US wishing to spend under $500 and want the highest spec'd device I can get what would you pick?
I know I'm not the only one facing this problem, the US market isn't exactly saturated with options like Europe and Asia.

Between a Blu Vivo XI+ and a Nokia 7.1 as they support the most bands as far as I can tell. Any help and other thoughts is appreciated. Thanks!!
1st November 2018, 12:35 PM |#19595  
Thanks Meter: 227

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Widget

Hey guys,

Have been looking on ebay at phones released around 2-3yrs ago for a new(used) upgrade from my current HTC ONE X... but I'm not familiar with all the smartphone tech, or issues, or what's decent/bad etc..

Originally I looked at the LG NEXUS 5X, then read it's got a fault that causes it to fail/Bootloop (eventually). Few people said, there's other phones in similar price range that would be better, though none suggested any (yet). Then I looked at the NEXUS 6P, but, I read again, these have a bootloop fault too ??

Are there any phones that have gotten a good reputation, probably 2014> that still perform well today, but aren't plagued with hardware faults? I don't mind if I have to repair / reflash firmware etc.. as one reason I look at ebay, hope to pickup a phone for cheap (due to broken.. ie screen, not starting up), then fix it.

Price range, around $100, but obviously price for phone will vary depending on phone and condition etc..

[edit] I should have noted, I'm from Australia, so phone prices vary here. Maybe, if you can, throw some suggestions my way, and I'll look around based on what I can spend.

Suggestions on what to look out for ?

Thanks in advance,

I have an HTC one m8 from 2014 that still has custom ROMs available. Compared to my OnePlus 5 it gets really bogged down occasionally but most of the time it works awesome for its age. At least around here they're less than $100. Mine has one crack in the screen and looks like the previous owner dropped it down a set of stairs but it works fine and the battery has 97% health according to accubattery. Maybe the previous owner had the battery replaced?

A couple years ago I had a moto x 2014 (xt1095) that was a good phone at the time besides having a terrible camera. The ROMs for it were amazing and it always felt fast. Those are the 2 that come to my mind in that price range.
2nd November 2018, 03:41 AM |#19596  
Flag Bellingham, WA

More
Received my Doogee S70 Today (I think there should be at Least an "S" Section in the Doogee Space) Mini review Soon
3rd November 2018, 09:22 PM |#19597  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hello, first of all a thousand apologies if it is not the right place to publish it.
I currently have a Google Pixel 2 the little 5-inch, about 6 months ago. It does not present any type of problem or any fault.
What has been bothering me the smartphone after 3 months is the size, it became small, of course the logical thought is because you did not buy the pixel 2 xl? Because at that time I did not have the right budget and I did not feel the need for more screen, in fact it is comfortable this size but it turned out to be somewhat obsolete because it is not the same to play and watch videos on a 5-inch screen than in one of 6 or more.

The battery usually makes me about 4-4: 30 hours of screen when I am all day in 4G, it is not at all a bad autonomy but I usually stay quite short some days.

And the biggest problem, even if it seems somewhat illogical, is the software.
It works spectacular, no problem is locked in that. But it's too simple, too much, it can not be that it does not have more functions, it does not have any extra functions that many other layers have, it's all based on Google assitant.inches.

I look for something that solves these defects:
That has more screen, more autonomy, optical zoom x2 (I need it a lot for the university), a layer of customization with useful functions, if it can be 3.5 mm input and wireless charging.

My budget is maximum 750 dollars.

I was thinking about the Samsung Galaxy s9 plus but I read many comments that the software is not well polished and that there are degradations in terms of the battery.
Then I thought about the iphone xr but I do not know if I'm going to get along with IOS and the fact of having a screen that is not 1080p pulls me quite down and not have optical zoom.
What dou you recommend?
Of course thank you very much to those who respond.
6th November 2018, 11:06 AM |#19598  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeonero

Hello, first of all a thousand apologies if it is not the right place to publish it.
I currently have a Google Pixel 2 the little 5-inch, about 6 months ago. It does not present any type of problem or any fault.
What has been bothering me the smartphone after 3 months is the size, it became small, of course the logical thought is because you did not buy the pixel 2 xl? Because at that time I did not have the right budget and I did not feel the need for more screen, in fact it is comfortable this size but it turned out to be somewhat obsolete because it is not the same to play and watch videos on a 5-inch screen than in one of 6 or more.

The battery usually makes me about 4-4: 30 hours of screen when I am all day in 4G, it is not at all a bad autonomy but I usually stay quite short some days.

And the biggest problem, even if it seems somewhat illogical, is the software.
It works spectacular, no problem is locked in that. But it's too simple, too much, it can not be that it does not have more functions, it does not have any extra functions that many other layers have, it's all based on Google assitant.inches.

I look for something that solves these defects:
That has more screen, more autonomy, optical zoom x2 (I need it a lot for the university), a layer of customization with useful functions, if it can be 3.5 mm input and wireless charging.

My budget is maximum 750 dollars.

I was thinking about the Samsung Galaxy s9 plus but I read many comments that the software is not well polished and that there are degradations in terms of the battery.
Then I thought about the iphone xr but I do not know if I'm going to get along with IOS and the fact of having a screen that is not 1080p pulls me quite down and not have optical zoom.
What dou you recommend?
Of course thank you very much to those who respond.

The Xiaomi mi8 does all you ask for. If you don't mind the notch, and no headphone jack. It's around 400usd (6/128), so you can save some money. Huawei p20 is nice too but it's software isn't that nice (kind of boring to me).

Oneplus 6 is a great pick too but it comes with almost stock android.
7th November 2018, 10:20 AM |#19599  

More
Hey guys, i'm planning to replace my old Xiaomi Note 2 Pro, and i would like to have a phone with a reasonable good camera for my travels abroad with my bike bear in mind that i only want to take pics. i have an action cam for vids.
Budget is around 300-350$
I saw good reviews about Pocophone F1 but its camera doesn't seem to be that good.
The Note 6 pro is way cheaper and its camera isnt that bad.
*Edit: just saw the Xiaomi Mi8 Lite which looks nice too
Which phones camera is better or do you have another Phone wich i should consider?
7th November 2018, 11:51 AM |#19600  
Flag West Yorkshire, Uk, Nr Earth
Thanks Meter: 18

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lattila

_______

I picked up the Redmi Note 5 4/64 and haven't looked back The note 6 is barely an upgrade really and I am not a notch fan so the different screen does nothing for me.

The note 5 takes really great pictures and I believe the cameras to be the exact same for both note 5 and note 6 phones and with prices so close it all depends on which screen you like the look of.

If I had to purchase either one again right now I would still buy the Note 5

Link for reference, https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/x...ote-6-pro-64gb
12th November 2018, 04:30 PM |#19601  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Rocket

I have an HTC one m8 from 2014 that still has custom ROMs available. Compared to my OnePlus 5 it gets really bogged down occasionally but most of the time it works awesome for its age. At least around here they're less than $100. Mine has one crack in the screen and looks like the previous owner dropped it down a set of stairs but it works fine and the battery has 97% health according to accubattery. Maybe the previous owner had the battery replaced?

A couple years ago I had a moto x 2014 (xt1095) that was a good phone at the time besides having a terrible camera. The ROMs for it were amazing and it always felt fast. Those are the 2 that come to my mind in that price range.

Thanks Rocket, I'll check out those two, see what comes up .
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)