How to Connect your Android Tablet to a Homegroup Network

Search This thread

dkahs23

Aug 10, 2011
Android has an app named "ES File Explorer" that lets you connect to a Windows Homegroup shared folder, and upload or download files. You must have Wi-Fi in your home or office, so the Android can connect to the wireless network. The Android app connects to the shared folder. This process is useful if you lost your USB cable and cannot connect to the local desktop using a cable.
Step 1

Click the "Computer" icon in the Windows "Start" menu. Right-click the folder or drive you want to use to share files with the Android device. Click "Add a network location." A configuration window opens.
Step 2

Click "Next" in the opened window that displays the computer's IP location. Type a username and password for folder access and a name that displays in the list of networks on the Android. Click "Finish" to set up the sharing on Windows.
Step 3

Tap the "Settings" button on your Android device. Tap the "Wireless and Networks" option. Tap "Wi-Fi Settings" and select a Wi-Fi hotspot name to connect. If a password is required, type the password and click "Connect" to connect to the network.
Step 4

Tap the ES File Explorer icon on your Android's home screen. Tap the "LAN" tab to create a new connection. Tap "New" to open a configuration window. Tap "Scan" to automatically scan the list of open networks.
Step 5

Tap the network name you set up earlier on your Windows computer. Type the username and password to access the shared resource. The Android app returns to the main screen. Tap the "Local" tab to see a list of files on the Android.
Step 6

Tap a file you want to transfer. Choose an activity from the list. For instance, tap "Copy" to copy the file to your Windows computer.

slapheady

Apr 10, 2012
Be careful when "moving" files with ES file explorer... I moved a nandroid backup, from internal to external with ES, and it deleted it instead... Other users have been having issues if you take a look at their support forum - but nothing's fixed yet.

I think it's only large files that it gets confused with.

3devious

Nov 6, 2010
I've had pretty good luck with it but have only done copies but not moves.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

suxelexus

Jul 31, 2010
Gold Coast
Why is my entire C drive read/write from my android? Ive set all but one folder on the drive as 'not shared.' ....

Also, since while on the topic, does anyone know how to map the android phone in network map. Its not viewable anywhere on the pc as connected.

Be careful when "moving" files with ES file explorer... I moved a nandroid backup, from internal to external with ES, and it deleted it instead... Other users have been having issues if you take a look at their support forum - but nothing's fixed yet.

I think it's only large files that it gets confused with.

I've been unlucky too but learned that in android terminology.
MOVE = Cut + paste
COPY = copy + paste

Always copy when using android.

reeladdiction

Sep 21, 2013
Awesome tip! I have been using ES File Explorer for some time now and never realized you could access network folders with it. Thanks! :good:

varxtis

Feb 5, 2014
whats a tablet or phones username and password?

I have enough experience with esfile explorer to know how to add computers to the LAN section... so far its been pretty easy to user the computers username and password. In my case, all my computers have the same username and password. But when I try to add another tablet thats on the network (like my wifes) im able to put in the IP address, but I cant figure out what to put as the username and password. Does anyone know how to obtain a username and password from a tablet device to add to ES File Explorers LAN list? Even for a smart phone? And it wont take anonymous. But I know that we don't have usernames or password with out tablets and phones as far as I know, so im at a loss as to know where to start even looking.

Last edited:

riksterinto

Mar 25, 2014
You can install an app like Samba

Samba will let you share files on a network from any android device and gives you the option to add a username and password. There may be other better options out there but I've used this with decent success. It seems to have problems with large files sometimes but I'm not sure if that's an issue on the ESFile end or Samba end.

I have enough experience with esfile explorer to know how to add computers to the LAN section... so far its been pretty easy to user the computers username and password. In my case, all my computers have the same username and password. But when I try to add another tablet thats on the network (like my wifes) im able to put in the IP address, but I cant figure out what to put as the username and password. Does anyone know how to obtain a username and password from a tablet device to add to ES File Explorers LAN list? Even for a smart phone? And it wont take anonymous. But I know that we don't have usernames or password with out tablets and phones as far as I know, so im at a loss as to know where to start even looking.

extractorx2

Jul 28, 2013
What Exactly Does It Do???

Hey i've done it, used it... and it's great, It is like my android have 500GB of hard disk space when i'm home..
But questions are there... how does this connect to the pc, it's not a part of homegroup it does not show there, even if my libraries are not at sharing, i can still see them in android, in fact i see them no matter what.. I use my PC log in password and user name to connect this, NOT my homegroup password...
What exactly is this?? anyone who knows... plz explain

Edit: Also that i don't have to install any client on my PC, This is a true wireless connection... But i cannot track it from PC, i can copy anything from pc without my pc knowing it.. SCARY

(BTW i'm using windows 8.1 and Xperia P (LT22i, nypon) running 4.1.2 JB, stock.. phone is rooted and bootloader unlocked)

Last edited:

orkan95

Oct 31, 2006
There are several great file managers that can access Samba shares. I use ES and FolderSync. But I would prefer to manage shares somehow centrally so that they can be used in any app on my android device. Does anybody know such a kind of app that creates system wide usable shares?

buggerlugz

Jul 23, 2014
Hey i've done it, used it... and it's great, It is like my android have 500GB of hard disk space when i'm home..
But questions are there... how does this connect to the pc, it's not a part of homegroup it does not show there, even if my libraries are not at sharing, i can still see them in android, in fact i see them no matter what.. I use my PC log in password and user name to connect this, NOT my homegroup password...
What exactly is this?? anyone who knows... plz explain

Edit: Also that i don't have to install any client on my PC, This is a true wireless connection... But i cannot track it from PC, i can copy anything from pc without my pc knowing it.. SCARY

(BTW i'm using windows 8.1 and Xperia P (LT22i, nypon) running 4.1.2 JB, stock.. phone is rooted and bootloader unlocked)

I've noticed this using fx explorer too. I can log in to my home pc wirelessly using the same username and password and can see a C$ folder (which is my entire pc harddisk) and even though it's not shared at all or on any home group i can access it with my phone!!

Very worrying.

rstout22

Aug 27, 2017
username and password

I cannot get pass the step to add an username and password. Is the password the one I obtained from my homegroup set up? Where do I obtain the username?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android has an app named "ES File Explorer" that lets you connect to a Windows Homegroup shared folder, and upload or download files. You must have Wi-Fi in your home or office, so the Android can connect to the wireless network. The Android app connects to the shared folder. This process is useful if you lost your USB cable and cannot connect to the local desktop using a cable.
    Step 1

Click the "Computer" icon in the Windows "Start" menu. Right-click the folder or drive you want to use to share files with the Android device. Click "Add a network location." A configuration window opens.
    Step 2

Click "Next" in the opened window that displays the computer's IP location. Type a username and password for folder access and a name that displays in the list of networks on the Android. Click "Finish" to set up the sharing on Windows.
    Step 3

Tap the "Settings" button on your Android device. Tap the "Wireless and Networks" option. Tap "Wi-Fi Settings" and select a Wi-Fi hotspot name to connect. If a password is required, type the password and click "Connect" to connect to the network.
    Step 4

Tap the ES File Explorer icon on your Android's home screen. Tap the "LAN" tab to create a new connection. Tap "New" to open a configuration window. Tap "Scan" to automatically scan the list of open networks.
    Step 5

Tap the network name you set up earlier on your Windows computer. Type the username and password to access the shared resource. The Android app returns to the main screen. Tap the "Local" tab to see a list of files on the Android.
    Step 6

Tap a file you want to transfer. Choose an activity from the list. For instance, tap "Copy" to copy the file to your Windows computer.