[ROM][i577][CWM]Stock Deodexed Debloated Exhilarate ICS

Search This thread

dwitherell

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2011
Hey everybody -

Seems folks are wanting some sort of cwm recovery flashable twist on the i577 stock ICS rom that was first posted here, but is also discussed here and can be attained in an easy one-click odin fashion from here thanks to thomas.raines. Well, I think I managed to put one together. I don't know if I will tinker on this much, but you never know - I can't stop myself most of the time.

I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS (GOOD OR BAD) AS A RESULT OF FLASHING OR ATTEMPTING TO FLASH WHAT IS POSTED HERE!

The process to get here was rather simple (though the updater-script editing was rather annoying). After flashing via thomas.raines's handy dandy odin 1-click tool, I got a system dump. Originally I was just going to open up the system.img.ext4 and get what I needed from there, but I did it this way to figure out some permissions and symlink issues I was having with the updater-script. I then went through and deodexed, debloated, added in busybox, added in SuperSU, and made one small smali hack to Contacts.apk to stop a rather annoying insistence on checking AT&T subscriber crap every time you went into contacts. That's it - so this is not really all that "developed" or anything. All that is contained within the cwm zip is the same stuff that is contained in the one-click - it's just /system and boot.img (kernel) - nothing more (i.e. this does NOT change your modems). That all being said, let me know if things work, or if any oddities come up. Also feel free to comment on how this might improve or if I've gone about anything in a not-so-smart way.

Usual rules apply - make sure to wipe data/factory reset to avoid issues. Flash in CWM recovery.

CWM Installation instructions:
- Backup your current setup/data
- Download file and place on sdcard
- Boot into CWM recovery
- Recommended to wipe data/factory reset in CWM recovery
- Select and install the .zip you put on your sdcard

---DOWNLOAD LINKS - CWM---

Debloated deodexed rooted busybox-ed i577 stock rom and kernel
md5: 5645D032DA35923A9B00F15539D06AEA

---OTHER DOWNLOADS---

i577 ICS Deodexed System Apps
NOTE: This IS NOT CWM RECOVERY FLASHABLE!!!
md5: AC0171AD8010E54FDD7C25D33CA576B3

Empty SystemApp Flasher
NOTE: MUST place apks in the app folder within the system folder inside the zip file PRIOR to flashing
NOTE2: This is the same as what is linked in the Tweaked OP here - which is fine. This works on any blaze setup when using cwm recovery.
md5: F5B562DFCED08D8F55E5CF5EDF4DB444

Let me know if there are any problems! Also - it seems like general discussion should get pointed to here, as it's all the same thing really (read: I didn't think it warranted a new thread).

Last edited:

dwitherell

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2011
THANKS GO TO -

j3r3goss - initial letting folks know of i577 possibility and providing a link to a stock tar
2vivid and afoster1003 - bravely flashing said stock tar
thomas.raines - making things one-click easy, both to flash the rom and to return to gingerbread; helping with troubleshooting
2vivid and chjema - testing my attempts
erikmm - because I can :p
all of the folks in #teamfah-q
all of the folks in teamsbrissenmod, as I would know very little and be able to do even less if it weren't for them

-----------------------------

---CHANGELOG---
Final update - 10/2/12
- Somewhat fixed camera.apk
***** Viewer still appears upside down for rear camera, but all images/videos taken are correct orientation
- Changed stock boot animation
- Updated some apks

Initial Posting - 10/1/12
- Deodexed
- Took out lots of what I call bloat
***** If I took out something you wanted, use the links in the OP to get it back
***** If I left something you didn't want - let me know and I'll think about removing :)
- Added in SuperSU v0.96 by Chainfire (from here)
- Added busybox 1.19.4 (CM9)
- Edited Contacts.apk to avoid AT&T Subscriber checking when entering Contacts
- Added .bak to PowerOn.ogg in /system/etc/ to eliminate boot sound

NOTES
Known issues:

1) Camera is upside-down
This only affects the rear-facing camera. The recent "fix" does not change the preview/viewer (the "live action" view of what the camera sees), but now all pictures or videos you take will be right-side up - so it's better than nothing I suppose :)

2) Softkeys/capacitive buttons no longer work
This seems to happen from time to time (though not very often by any means), in a way/manner that is as of yet predictable. That being said - all three times I have encountered this issue the below process has fixed it (thanks go to j3r3goss for providing the info needed for the solution):
- Open dialer/phone
- Type in the following in the dialer
*#*#2663#*#*
- Once the last * is entered, a new screen will show that has some information and (more importantly) two buttons. Press the BOTTOM buttom (the one that says "Touch key FW update"). Wait for this to complete (NOTE: This can take a LONG time, and you may have to reboot on your own if it hasn't said its completed its process after 10 or so minutes (my experience - no reasoning or logic behind it really, so be cautious)), then reboot the phone.

3) No WiFi Calling ability
Yep. It's an AT&T stock rom, and as they don't have the wifi calling capability, so too does this lack such fun functionality.

Last edited:

dwitherell

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2011
Reserved for something... not really sure what though. Figured I should grab it in case this little thing grows in the future - better safe than sorry I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: jparnell8839

dispozable

Feb 15, 2011
Running great so far, definitely a lot snappier on first boot. No errors so far, glad the contact bug was fixed :)
There sure was a lot of bloat huh? I thought Tmo was bad lol.

Jamkul

Jan 14, 2012
SLC, UT
Well I guess you beat me to it, way to go.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using xda app-developers app

Animosity

May 15, 2012
I heard the radios were a little weak. Did you fix that in this file or is it the same?

dwitherell

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2011
There are no radios included, so you keep whatever you had (and the blaze ones do seem a bit better than the exhilarate ones)

Animosity

May 15, 2012
I just flashed, loving it btw, but my radios are a little weak? I factory reset, flashed the rom, factory reset again because it said to do so before reboot (idk I was a little paranoid lol) and then flashed system apps and boot.

Edit: i didnt realize earlier but all the bloat and such is remaining too? I'm gonna reflash in a bit and get back to you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

merwin

Feb 14, 2006
WiFi calling should be able to be integrated into the ROM. It's not kernel specific, but might require some framework alterations. IMHO, it would be best to take this new ICS kernel and pair it with the OS from SGS2, that is made for T-mobile.

I haven't gotten a chance yet to look at the kernel to see if the flipped camera can be fixed there, or if just replacing it with the SGS2 camera app might do the trick.

Lots of opportunities for hacking together a great ROM from this.

Reactions: Beastmode

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Concerning the radios guys and gals!

It seems to be an ICS thing with the radios. We had the same issue on the SGS4G. They have to be padded in order to function properly since the SGS4G never got an official ICS update and we are still running on gb modem and kernel... Maybe Sammy will un-ass the update for us and all will be good...lol

Reactions: woodzx67

Bulletblitz27

May 3, 2012
NYC
Concerning the radios guys and gals!

It seems to be an ICS thing with the radios. We had the same issue on the SGS4G. They have to be padded in order to function properly since the SGS4G never got an official ICS update and we are still running on gb modem and kernel... Maybe Sammy will un-ass the update for us and all will be good...lol

Yeah, I use to have a G2x with ICS and the developers always made it clear that the Radio issue is a problem with ICS 4.0.4 itself.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using xda premium

crazydrummer95

Aug 26, 2011
Sahuarita
How are you trying to push, via root explorer (something alike) or adb?

Well, I tried using ES file explorer and it did not work. So I went into the root settings in the application, and I have everything checked, but when I try to mount the filesystem as writable, it says "failed to mount". I tried setting it as rw in adb, and it said it was a read-only file system

skullreapper66

Jan 25, 2011
Es never worked for me with the root functions. Always has to use root explorer or adb

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everybody -

Seems folks are wanting some sort of cwm recovery flashable twist on the i577 stock ICS rom that was first posted here, but is also discussed here and can be attained in an easy one-click odin fashion from here thanks to thomas.raines. Well, I think I managed to put one together. I don't know if I will tinker on this much, but you never know - I can't stop myself most of the time.

I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS (GOOD OR BAD) AS A RESULT OF FLASHING OR ATTEMPTING TO FLASH WHAT IS POSTED HERE!

The process to get here was rather simple (though the updater-script editing was rather annoying). After flashing via thomas.raines's handy dandy odin 1-click tool, I got a system dump. Originally I was just going to open up the system.img.ext4 and get what I needed from there, but I did it this way to figure out some permissions and symlink issues I was having with the updater-script. I then went through and deodexed, debloated, added in busybox, added in SuperSU, and made one small smali hack to Contacts.apk to stop a rather annoying insistence on checking AT&T subscriber crap every time you went into contacts. That's it - so this is not really all that "developed" or anything. All that is contained within the cwm zip is the same stuff that is contained in the one-click - it's just /system and boot.img (kernel) - nothing more (i.e. this does NOT change your modems). That all being said, let me know if things work, or if any oddities come up. Also feel free to comment on how this might improve or if I've gone about anything in a not-so-smart way.

Usual rules apply - make sure to wipe data/factory reset to avoid issues. Flash in CWM recovery.

CWM Installation instructions:
    - Backup your current setup/data
    - Download file and place on sdcard
    - Boot into CWM recovery
    - Recommended to wipe data/factory reset in CWM recovery
    - Select and install the .zip you put on your sdcard

---DOWNLOAD LINKS - CWM---

Debloated deodexed rooted busybox-ed i577 stock rom and kernel
    md5: 5645D032DA35923A9B00F15539D06AEA

---OTHER DOWNLOADS---

i577 ICS Deodexed System Apps
    NOTE: This IS NOT CWM RECOVERY FLASHABLE!!!
    md5: AC0171AD8010E54FDD7C25D33CA576B3

Empty SystemApp Flasher
    NOTE: MUST place apks in the app folder within the system folder inside the zip file PRIOR to flashing
    NOTE2: This is the same as what is linked in the Tweaked OP here - which is fine. This works on any blaze setup when using cwm recovery.
    md5: F5B562DFCED08D8F55E5CF5EDF4DB444

Let me know if there are any problems! Also - it seems like general discussion should get pointed to here, as it's all the same thing really (read: I didn't think it warranted a new thread).
    THANKS GO TO -

j3r3goss - initial letting folks know of i577 possibility and providing a link to a stock tar
    2vivid and afoster1003 - bravely flashing said stock tar
    thomas.raines - making things one-click easy, both to flash the rom and to return to gingerbread; helping with troubleshooting
    2vivid and chjema - testing my attempts
    erikmm - because I can :p
    all of the folks in #teamfah-q
    all of the folks in teamsbrissenmod, as I would know very little and be able to do even less if it weren't for them

---CHANGELOG---
    Final update - 10/2/12
    - Somewhat fixed camera.apk
    ***** Viewer still appears upside down for rear camera, but all images/videos taken are correct orientation
    - Changed stock boot animation
    - Updated some apks

Initial Posting - 10/1/12
    - Deodexed
    - Took out lots of what I call bloat
    ***** If I took out something you wanted, use the links in the OP to get it back
    ***** If I left something you didn't want - let me know and I'll think about removing :)
    - Added in SuperSU v0.96 by Chainfire (from here)
    - Added busybox 1.19.4 (CM9)
    - Edited Contacts.apk to avoid AT&T Subscriber checking when entering Contacts
    - Added .bak to PowerOn.ogg in /system/etc/ to eliminate boot sound

NOTES
    Known issues:

1) Camera is upside-down
    This only affects the rear-facing camera. The recent "fix" does not change the preview/viewer (the "live action" view of what the camera sees), but now all pictures or videos you take will be right-side up - so it's better than nothing I suppose :)

2) Softkeys/capacitive buttons no longer work
    This seems to happen from time to time (though not very often by any means), in a way/manner that is as of yet predictable. That being said - all three times I have encountered this issue the below process has fixed it (thanks go to j3r3goss for providing the info needed for the solution):
    - Open dialer/phone
    - Type in the following in the dialer
    *#*#2663#*#*
    - Once the last * is entered, a new screen will show that has some information and (more importantly) two buttons. Press the BOTTOM buttom (the one that says "Touch key FW update"). Wait for this to complete (NOTE: This can take a LONG time, and you may have to reboot on your own if it hasn't said its completed its process after 10 or so minutes (my experience - no reasoning or logic behind it really, so be cautious)), then reboot the phone.

3) No WiFi Calling ability
    Yep. It's an AT&T stock rom, and as they don't have the wifi calling capability, so too does this lack such fun functionality.
    Good job man! Going to flash this tonight and make a 1 click for you with some Lightning Zap! goodies and modems (if it all works right...lol)...
    Followed instructions exactly, everything worked perfectly, but I noticed an issue. Something that does not not work anymore. Seems that live wallpapers are completely eliminated from the device. There is no option for it, no menu option for it, no wallpaper option for it. Downloading from market place and me installing one from SD card - neither work. I was wondering if it is possible to just get the stock rom deodexed, with nothing else done? I was thinking it may have something to do with the bloatware removed? Not entirely sure, still learning up on Android and working on this stuff. Hope this is not a stupid question... anyways, any assistance would be appreciated. That was the only problem I noticed.

Read the OP and you will know why. and how to install it.
    Yeah dude i hace this ROM and i already know that problem... It have more problems but it us stable but i feel excluded cuz nobody post nothing for those phones! No mod, just CM ROMs... We need developers working on this phone and doing mod and everything if they can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using xda app-developers app

More stock themed roms? Some members in my team are actually doing it for other phones. Will talk to them about it.