[APP] Google Now Android L (Root+Non-Root Methods)

Search This thread

the playa!

Mar 18, 2012
Somerset
Hi everyone,

All the Google Now threads have all the steps and procedure to make Android L's "always listening" mode work; but they do not work for all users. This method, which I discovered on Youtube, worked for me and should work for all rooted devices running Android 4.4+ (KitKat).

Prerequisites:

Android 4.4+ (Kit Kat)

Unleash the Google app: View attachment UnleashTheGoogle.apk **THIS WILL ONLY WORK FOR ROOTED DEVICES**

The latest Google Now launcher: View attachment GoogleHome.apk

And the latest Google Search app which I could not upload due to size limit: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid...B] [URL="http://d-h.st/kCa"]http://d-h.st/kCa

The work:

1) Make sure you have both the latest Google Now Launcher and Search app downloaded

2) Once you have those, install Unleash the Google... Grant root access.

3) Force close the Google Search app by going to settings>apps>Google Search> force close

4) After that all these options will pop up in Google Now Launcher's settings, if followed the instructions correctly.
Screenshot_2014-06-29-14-27-29.png

5) Next what you would do is click "config flags" and scroll down until you see "e300_voice_everywhere, embedded_endpoint, and enable_e300" and make sure you turn them all on.
Screenshot_2014-06-29-14-27-45.png

6) Then scroll down to "speaker_id_supported_locales" and put "en-US" **US has to be capital**
Screenshot_2014-06-29-14-28-37.png

7) Scroll down and save the settings by clicking "Save config settings"
- Note that no toast notification will pop up saying that the settings have been saved. Force close Google Search just in case.
If you have done everything correctly, a new option (Audio History) in the voice settings in the Google Now Launcher settings should pop up. Make sure you have it turned on.
Screenshot_2014-06-29-14-29-14.jpg

8) While in the voice settings, go to "Ok Google Detection" and click "from any screen"
Screenshot_2014-06-29-14-29-21.jpg

9) Profit! :D

Credits:

All credits go to the person who made the video, which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R1B-t_Wsf4

Note:

The version of Google Search that Android L comes with is 3.5.13, while the version you need for the "Ok Google" detection anywhere is 3.5.14. I have already linked to the download of 3.5.14 in the "Prerequisites" section.

Update:

1) It appears as if the rollout is per account. So no matter what users try, it is up to Google for enabling the feature to their account. Sorry! :/

2) It only works in the US? Someone please confirm.

3) This mod requires KitKat in order for it to work.

Fixes:

Warnings:

This mod is known to cause battery drain.

For Non-Rooted Users:

If you still are not able to enable the settings, try doing this method:

Open Google Search and do a text search for "Okay Google Everywhere" WITHOUT the quotes.
After that, head into Search settings, then Voice and profit.

Hope these methods worked for you. If you did not get any of the instructions, do comment or you can watch the video. ;)

Last edited:

olorolo

Mar 4, 2011
Pittsburgh
Very nice! It wouldn't work at first because I was accessing the Google settings from the HTC Sense launcher but when I accessed it from the Google launcher I was able to get to the new settings and they carried over to the HTC Sense launcher, profit! I didn't even use the unleashed app ? thanks man

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Last edited:

djstr0be

May 23, 2010
wow thanks alot! I tried the xposed app but couldnt get the debug options to show but this one did the trick..:good::good::good:

mvoid533

Apr 29, 2012
WONOSOBO
Hi i have followed all the instructions
But i cant enable voice everywhere
What i miss

Sent from my XT910 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1404107576360.jpg
    1404107576360.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,582
  • 1404107607730.jpg
    1404107607730.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,455
  • 1404107623004.jpg
    1404107623004.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,378

Tower1972

Mar 13, 2008
Somewhere in Wisconsin
Very nice! It wouldn't work at first because I was accessing the Google settings from the HTC Sense launcher but when I accessed it from the Google launcher I was able to get to the new settings and they carried over to the HTC Sense launcher, profit! I didn't even use the unleashed app ? thanks man

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Considering its server side, not client, I dont think it has anything to do with this. You might have been in the lucky batch that Google turned this one for. I did the same thing you did, and its not available to me..yet. Yeah it works with GEL but when I swap back to Sense,,it doesnt

cinmic

Oct 28, 2013
works perfectly, but the hotword detection in any screen is not supported in Italy :crying:, there's a way to fix it ?

Tower1972

Mar 13, 2008
Somewhere in Wisconsin
What i miss

you didnt miss anything. I did all the steps also..All went well till the Enable Voice Anywhere, which, like you, mine isnt there either

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...gs-ok-google-hotword-detection-to-any-screen/

or to sum up the article :

It appears this feature is rolling out by account, not APK. While basically everyone on the AP team is already running the latest version, I'm the only one seeing hotword detection. So, be calm young panda, it'll get to you soon enough.
Update 6/26/14, per Google: "Ok Google from any screen will be rolling out on most Android devices running KitKat over the next week, and will initially be available in the US for English speakers."

Last edited:
Reactions: Dhiraj and mvoid533

cinmic

Oct 28, 2013
works perfectly, but the hotword detection in any screen is not supported in Italy :crying:, there's a way to fix it ?

I've changed the speaker_id_supported_locales to it-IT, and now I got the wizard that tell me to say OK GOOGLE 3 times, but after this the google Search crash.

mayankneil

Jul 30, 2013
Vadodara, Gujarat
please help

Reply me please... How to use this in old gel launcher as 4.2.2 doesn't support the new Google now launcher plzzzz I need this everywhere on Google feature....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

All the Google Now threads have all the steps and procedure to make Android L's "always listening" mode work; but they do not work for all users. This method, which I discovered on Youtube, worked for me and should work for all rooted devices running Android 4.4+ (KitKat).

Prerequisites:

Android 4.4+ (Kit Kat)

Unleash the Google app: View attachment UnleashTheGoogle.apk **THIS WILL ONLY WORK FOR ROOTED DEVICES**

The latest Google Now launcher: View attachment GoogleHome.apk

And the latest Google Search app which I could not upload due to size limit: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid...B] [URL="http://d-h.st/kCa"]http://d-h.st/kCa

The work:

1) Make sure you have both the latest Google Now Launcher and Search app downloaded

2) Once you have those, install Unleash the Google... Grant root access.

3) Force close the Google Search app by going to settings>apps>Google Search> force close

4) After that all these options will pop up in Google Now Launcher's settings, if followed the instructions correctly.
    Screenshot_2014-06-29-14-27-29.png

5) Next what you would do is click "config flags" and scroll down until you see "e300_voice_everywhere, embedded_endpoint, and enable_e300" and make sure you turn them all on.
    Screenshot_2014-06-29-14-27-45.png

6) Then scroll down to "speaker_id_supported_locales" and put "en-US" **US has to be capital**
    Screenshot_2014-06-29-14-28-37.png

7) Scroll down and save the settings by clicking "Save config settings"
    - Note that no toast notification will pop up saying that the settings have been saved. Force close Google Search just in case.
    If you have done everything correctly, a new option (Audio History) in the voice settings in the Google Now Launcher settings should pop up. Make sure you have it turned on.
    Screenshot_2014-06-29-14-29-14.jpg

8) While in the voice settings, go to "Ok Google Detection" and click "from any screen"
    Screenshot_2014-06-29-14-29-21.jpg

9) Profit! :D

Credits:

All credits go to the person who made the video, which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R1B-t_Wsf4

Note:

The version of Google Search that Android L comes with is 3.5.13, while the version you need for the "Ok Google" detection anywhere is 3.5.14. I have already linked to the download of 3.5.14 in the "Prerequisites" section.

Update:

1) It appears as if the rollout is per account. So no matter what users try, it is up to Google for enabling the feature to their account. Sorry! :/

2) It only works in the US? Someone please confirm.

3) This mod requires KitKat in order for it to work.

Fixes:

Warnings:

This mod is known to cause battery drain.

For Non-Rooted Users:

If you still are not able to enable the settings, try doing this method:

Open Google Search and do a text search for "Okay Google Everywhere" WITHOUT the quotes.

Hope these methods worked for you. If you did not get any of the instructions, do comment or you can watch the video. ;)
    What i miss

you didnt miss anything. I did all the steps also..All went well till the Enable Voice Anywhere, which, like you, mine isnt there either

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...gs-ok-google-hotword-detection-to-any-screen/

or to sum up the article :

It appears this feature is rolling out by account, not APK. While basically everyone on the AP team is already running the latest version, I'm the only one seeing hotword detection. So, be calm young panda, it'll get to you soon enough.
    Update 6/26/14, per Google: "Ok Google from any screen will be rolling out on most Android devices running KitKat over the next week, and will initially be available in the US for English speakers."
    Everybody:

Make sure you have the latest Google Search and it's Launcher counterpart.

This is not my idea I just thought I might post it here.

Sent from my One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Haha! Give me some time, I've got something for you...

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Everybody:

Make sure you have the latest Google Search and it's Launcher counterpart.

This is not my idea I just thought I might post it here.

Sent from my One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks for letting us know. Method posted in the "fixes" section. :)

Edit: Made a section for Non-Rooted users.