[Mods] WebBuntu Post-Webtop2sd Hacks

Search This thread

dellenrules

Mar 22, 2011
Yes it works perfectly.

I need to ask Fenny how to modify the apk files properly so I can try to make this work on Razr and D4. I tried these and they don't work on the new models with updated webtop version and new apks.

Please explain to me how you were able to apply this to 902.
Did you apply this before you updated, or did you update then apply the web top patch?
Thanks

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
After updating to 5.9.902, I just reapplied the hacks the same way I did for the previous versions and then reran the mbm.tar.bz2 mods.

Everything is working fine and I have gnome-panel set as default when I open webtop on my 32" Sony HDTV with BT KB and mouse.

I do not have webtop2sd setup, just the standard webtop on the phone.

Edit: Someone PM'd me about the mbm.tar.bz2 not running properly. I need to leave for work but will try to answer back later.

It sounds like they need to be sure to mount commands for / and try again.

I did nothing different and followed the instructions as they are written in the OP, with the exception of renaming /etc/tomoyo to /etc/toy before opening up the webtop and running apt-get update.

Last edited:
Reactions: dellenrules

haupman

May 4, 2011
Does anyone have this hack working with Webtop2SD and 902? I don't have any idea how to apply this hack to the standard webtop on the phone like Cellzealot did.

squito

Feb 16, 2012
Hey everyone
I did get this to work on 902
the file that has been uploaded to the new link a few pages back does not seem to work right. i made this form in the Q&A section a week or 2 back http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1500585 trying to figure out the problem. i ended up finding a version of the MBM file i had before megaupload went down and i have a link in this therad. i hope this may help some of you.

Reactions: haupman

haupman

May 4, 2011
After following the instructions and booting into Webtop, I hit Ctrl+Alt+T and receive the following error:

"There was an error running gnome-terminal:

Failed to execute child process "gnome-terminal" (No such file or directory)."

Can anyone provide any insight?

haupman

May 4, 2011
I have figured out the problem. The file on mindcrime.net threw off the following errors when extracting:

/bin/tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.dev'
/bin/tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.ino'
/bin/tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.nlink'

According to a website, this means "Then you'll likely need to update the version of gnu tar on the box that created the backups, and then create the backups again."

I used the file squito provided along with the instructions in the original post and everything worked perfectly.

Reactions: ShotSkydiver

cyberhern

Apr 6, 2008
Ft Laud, Florida
Does anyone have this hack working with Webtop2SD and 902? I don't have any idea how to apply this hack to the standard webtop on the phone like Cellzealot did.

It works great on 902 as is... Just go to the original post for Webtop2SD!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=15109140#post15109140

After your done, come back here... Start with the "Post-Webtop2SD" first post.

You will need a file (mbm.tar.bz2) one of us freeflysage has reposted it on his page.
Although I should say, I had to dig up my original because freeflysage's didn't work for me.

I will the leave it in my sugersync for a month or so. Use it if you get stuck with the freeflysage w.site
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D170222_6762005_26015586

Last edited:

haupman

May 4, 2011
Last edited:

haupman

May 4, 2011
Has anyone been able to run Chromium? When I try to run it, it crashes very quickly. This seems to be a problem with Ubuntu 10.10. If not, what is the browser of choice to use? Firefox is very clunky.

brian88lx

Apr 4, 2007
Chromnium has been crashing on me as well. Ive just been using firefox. Have you created a swap partition on your sdcard to help performance?

haupman

May 4, 2011
I believe the basic WebTop2SD App creates a swap partition automatically. I only ran that app.

On another message board, someone wrote that TLS needs to be disabled. I can't even get to the options as Chromium crashes as soon as the options screen comes up.

Doing a search on Google seems to indicate that Chromium crashes on Ubuntu on 10.10 with no resolution.

Edit: I did disable it via command line and it still crashed.

Last edited:

haupman

May 4, 2011
I created a swap partition of 1 GB and it still crashes with the same or even more frequency.

I installed 3 different versions: 5, 6 and 10 and it still crashes with a Bus error.

I am convinced there is no way to put a stable Chromium browser on WebTop2SD and we are forced to go with FireFox, which is apparently why so little people are still using this hack anymore.

Last edited:

Shandry

May 14, 2009
Does anyone tried to install omap4-ubuntu-extras?
Or gstreamer omap4 plugins to enable video acceleration?
I installed totem with gstreamer omap4 plugins but have no luck with H264 decoding. Totem does not see gstreamer0.10-plugins-base for omap4. It shows an error with stridetransform not found. Don't know how to force it to see this codecs.

At one point I had Chromium 13 running smoothly. However I upgraded something wrong and borked my whole webtop. I found using debian testing and experimental worked well for resolving dependencies. The Chromium bug so to speak is resolved after version 10.

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

The app is a very nice wrapper for rsync. You can manually do an rsync to the sd partition, after manually partitioning the sdcard into 3 disks, mmcblk0p1 (main), mmcblk0p2 (webtop/osh), and mmcblk0p3 (swap).

Reactions: haupman

haupman

May 4, 2011
At one point I had Chromium 13 running smoothly. However I upgraded something wrong and borked my whole webtop. I found using debian testing and experimental worked well for resolving dependencies. The Chromium bug so to speak is resolved after version 10.

I went ahead and downloaded version 13 from this link and it still crashed. I didn't attempt to resolve any dependencies after installing because I wasn't sure exactly what to do.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/13.0.782.107~r94237-0ubuntu2/+build/2664101

I am giving up on Chromium. The goal is simply to have fast web browsing and following the steps on the below link makes Firefox just as fast as Chrome. Follow the steps in the middle of the page "Alternate Method for Broadband Users" and your Mozilla experience will be 10x better.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Firefox-Load-Pages-Faster

Last edited:

ig88b1

Jan 14, 2008
I can't get this to work on eclipse 2.2, has anyone tried it?
I can move webtop to the SD card fine, it seems to work with no issues, and I can also apply the patch to it, but when I try to run webtop after I get the M logo for a few seconds and then nothing, either on the tv or on my bionic.

anyone have any ideas?

genei.09

Feb 15, 2011
I've tried a couple of mbm.tar files but haven't had full success with any of them. I can verify that webtop2sd is working. I can get into terminal, and run synaptic. However I'm getting a lot of errors with dpkg whenever I try to install something from either syn or apt. Does anyone have an mbm file that works for 902 bionic?

JKASS5

Sep 7, 2010
Does anyone have a different link to the webtop patch in the op? It doesn't work for me and I am really interested in using this. Thanks...

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I am using the same mbm.tar.bz that I originally downloaded and keep on my sdcard. It hasn't changed at all and I am currently posting this from the webtop on my Bionic on the .904 leaked update. The update does not touch the webtop partition at all and I am using Nebtop to use any HDMI instead of the hacked apks. Everything is working perfectly including gnome-panel and other mods I made after I updated to .902 are all in place.

You need to remember to run the mount commands after every reboot.

The errors with synaptic are generally due to not having done the mount -o remount,rw / in a terminal before opening the webtop after a reboot.
The post installation trigger manager can't delete files to cleanup after itself unless the root directory is mounted read/write.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey there,

Here is a guide for what to do after you have installed Webtop2sd and moved the Webtop to the sdcard. This guide, using [mbm]'s patch, will install gnome-terminal along with a rebuilt DPKG-repo so that way you can run apt-get, synaptic or aptitude to download new software for your Webtop. Along with this guide there is a link to Fenny's HDMI hack for those who don't have the laptop dock or the HD Dock for the Bionic.

Bionic Webtop Over HDMI Hack

Prerequisites:
    1) Rooted Bionic
    2) Webtop Patch
    3) ADB already configured
    4) Patience

First things first, go ahead and download [mbm]'s patch for Webtop that enables apt-get, synaptic package manager and gnome-terminal services in Webtop and place that file on the root of your sdcard. Then follow these commands step by step to apply the patch.

adb shell
    su
    /bin/bash
    -You will get some kind of error message, just ignore and push past it with the following commands
    source /upath.sh
    cd /osh
    tar jxvf /mnt/sdcard-ext/mbm.tar.bz2
    mount -o remount, rw /
    mkdir /var/lib/dpkg/updates
    reboot

After rebooting your phone, run these commands in adb:
    su
    mount -o remount, rw /

After booting into webtop:
    Ctrl+Alt+T
    sudo apt-get update

**take note that you must run the "mount -o remount, rw /" command anytime you reboot your phone because any programs you get thru apt-get or synaptic will error out during installation

After that is done, go ahead and rename the folder /etc/tomoyo to something else like /etc/toy or whatever you want (Note, webtop2sd already takes care of this part for the user). After that, go ahead and dock your phone to see what happens cause you will be presented with a normal looking Webtop but if you hold down ctrl+alt+t, then it brings up the terminal!

From here, you can run "gksu synaptic" and use the password "test" to start installing various different programs and packages that are normally available on Ubuntu.

Important!
    If you mess up your Webtop partition in any kind of way and need to restore it back to stock, please download this custom FXZ and flash thru RSD to bring you back to stock again.

Webtop RSD Restore

Dependencies
    Take caution when modding Webtop because there are some dependencies that will break Webtop if they are upgraded such as anything ending in a .mot or anything resembling that.

Credits
    Please thank [mbm] for fixing what Motorola took out, without him, none of this would be possible without his patch.

Sogarth for being the pioneer of Webtop hacking and for porting over his Webtop2sd app to give us more storage to play with.

Fenny for bringing over his Webtop over HDMI hack to our phones.
    Desktop Enviroment:

If you do not like the default LXDE and AWN setup that comes preloaded on Webtop, you do have the ability to change some settings in the phone to use different Desktop environments such XFCE, Gnome-Panel, FBPanel or etc, etc.

After installing your DE of choice thru apt-get or synaptic, navigate on your phone with Root File Explorer to /osh/usr/local/bin/ and open the file "start-oshwt-2.sh" in the text editor and you will be presented with something that looks like this:

#! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: start_lxde2.sh
    # Required-Start:
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start:
    # Default-Stop:
    # Short-Description: started by adas user at login
    ### END INIT INFO

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

. /lib/lsb/init-functions
    export `fbcp_dsba`

log_action_msg "Will now start OSHWT 2 scripts"

sfalv -i "/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor"

# start OSHWT 2 scripts
    sfalv -i "awn-autostart"
    sfalv -i "webtop-panel"
    #sfalv -i "webtop-wallpaper"
    #sfalv -i "evbridge"
    webtop-wallpaper &
    evbridge &
    sfalv -i "window_switcher"
    system-config-printer-applet >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &
    sr-test avahi_start &

# IKXWEBTOP-5690 workaround.
    # xkb is broken in 10.10 in that each time a keyboard is connected
    # the layout of all other keyboards become the layout of
    # the last connected keyboard.
    # There is an xorg.conf.d rule that forces all keyboards to
    # layout 'us(android)' but for some reason it is not working for
    # evfwd. Here we force xkb to work with 'us(android)' so evfwd
    # is assigned the right layout.
    setxkbmap 'us(android)'

From here, if you comment out the sfalv -i "awn-autostart", then add to the script sfalv -i "xfdesktop" and sfalv -i "xfce4-panel" if you installed xfce4 or whatever Desktop environment you installed. If you followed this, your script should look like this:

#! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: start_lxde2.sh
    # Required-Start:
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start:
    # Default-Stop:
    # Short-Description: started by adas user at login
    ### END INIT INFO

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

. /lib/lsb/init-functions
    export `fbcp_dsba`

log_action_msg "Will now start OSHWT 2 scripts"

sfalv -i "/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor"

# start OSHWT 2 scripts
    #sfalv -i "awn-autostart"
    sfalv -i "webtop-panel"
    sfalv -i "xfdesktop"
    sfalv -i "xfce4-panel"
    #sfalv -i "webtop-wallpaper"
    #sfalv -i "evbridge"
    webtop-wallpaper &
    evbridge &
    sfalv -i "window_switcher"
    system-config-printer-applet >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &
    sr-test avahi_start &

# IKXWEBTOP-5690 workaround.
    # xkb is broken in 10.10 in that each time a keyboard is connected
    # the layout of all other keyboards become the layout of
    # the last connected keyboard.
    # There is an xorg.conf.d rule that forces all keyboards to
    # layout 'us(android)' but for some reason it is not working for
    # evfwd. Here we force xkb to work with 'us(android)' so evfwd
    # is assigned the right layout.
    setxkbmap 'us(android)'

attachment.php

Working Programs:
    OpenOffice
    XFCE4
    Xchat
    LxTerminal
    Transmission
    lxpanel
    rdesktop
    VLC Player (Video is choppy)
    Gnome-Panel
    Evolution Email
    Chrome-Browser

It works great on 902 as is... Just go to the original post for Webtop2SD!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=15109140#post15109140

After your done, come back here... Start with the "Post-Webtop2SD" first post.

You will need a file (mbm.tar.bz2) one of us freeflysage has reposted it on his page.
    Although I should say, I had to dig up my original because freeflysage's didn't work for me.

I will the leave it in my sugersync for a month or so. Use it if you get stuck with the freeflysage w.site
    https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D170222_6762005_26015586
    This is bad ass... Just saying.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Feel free to incorporate this into your rom :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    GB 4 life...well..until source...lol