[Q] What part of the software depends on rooting?

Search This thread

darthnix

Oct 24, 2013
So I just got my HTC One M8 last week. After seeing how terrible HTC Sense is, I decided I want to root and then flash CM. I rooted my last phone, the Samsung Galaxy S3, but this seems a little bit harder. I've looked at a few guides, but I'm afraid that there is a certain piece of software that depends if the root will work or not. On my S3 I just had to see what Android version I was using, but this phone has a few different types of software. Which one do I pay attention to? Android version, HTC sense version, software number, PRI, PRL, ERI... Also, when I rooted my S3 and then wanted to flash a rom onto it, I had to reset the flash counter because I was on Verizon. Does it work that way with this phone too? Anyway, what part of the software listed depends on if I can root the phone or not? Is it just Android version, like usual, or are the two pieces I need. And if so, can someone link a guide that works with my current software? I'd really appreciate it.

cntryby429

Aug 27, 2013
Washington D.C.
My understanding is that the Verizon m8 has only had one update. The root exploit (weak sauce) and S-off exploit (Firewater) each work on either firmware versions. Rooting via weak sauce may be enough for you depending on your need to customize your phone.