[Q] Need help with updating

Search This thread

floatingtrees

Mar 15, 2014
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and I could really use some help with my phone. I have a rooted AT&T Samsung galaxy S3 running on 4.1.1 stock with cwm. I would like to update to the latest stock OS which is 4.3 but I'm not sure how to do it right. I would prefer to keep all my data but I don't mind losing root. how should I go about updating my device safely?

flynhawn2002

Feb 24, 2012
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and I could really use some help with my phone. I have a rooted AT&T Samsung galaxy S3 running on 4.1.1 stock with cwm. I would like to update to the latest stock OS which is 4.3 but I'm not sure how to do it right. I would prefer to keep all my data but I don't mind losing root. how should I go about updating my device safely?

If you are rooted then you can flash any 4.3 ROM in the android development and they all have KNOX free bases. You will most likely need to update your baseband to MJB. Enjoy your KNOX free 4.3!!!

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA

You should first check to see if you can get an OTA update. Some users have reported being able to update OTA to 4.3 even with root. Go to Settings => About Device and check for updates. If you can't get an OTA update, you may try manually updating via cwm via the method posted in the following thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2658486

Before updating to 4.3, however, I would suggest you ensure you are done with taking advantage of all the opportunities you have at 4.1.1 including free unlock as you would not be able to downgrade the 4.3 bootloader once you've upgraded. If you don't have Samsung Kies installed on your PC, you may install it to back up and restore your data. In other words, you cannot go back to an older version (easily) once you have upgraded.