[help] took the KK OTA rooted and can only access recovery

Search This thread

charlesdindy

May 18, 2014
I took the 4.4.2 OTA while rooted and am now stuck at "SAMSUNG" logo.

I can get into download mode, however, Odin refuses to connect, while my gf's identical phone connects fine.

I can get into CWM which I have since updated to PhilZ latest.

I've been shuffling around files on an SD card, but other than the recovery update I haven't been able to do anything.

In download mode I do have "Warranty Bit: 1". Not that I care (several year old phone moved from Sprint to Ting a while back). I have taken OTA updates before and expect that I was current before this one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~cd

UPDATE:

I've tried the SD unbrick without JTAG and still can't connect. It keeps coming up as "Unknown Device", but I'm doubting driver issue because I've tried several and the other phone connects right away.

Is there anything I can load through the custom recovery that will knock some since into the thing?

UPDATE 2:

I was able to flash a rom with CWM and am back up now. Still can't connect to Odin or ADB. I'm starting to suspect a HW problem with my USB port.

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I'm uncomfortable suggesting flashing anything in recovery without being able to know for sure if the OTA at least successfully updated your bootloader and modem.

Without knowing this, flashing the wrong thing will hard brick your phone, and I don't want to take your phone out of the frying pan and stick it directly into the fire, so to speak.

I would suggest trying longer and harder to solve the Odin connect problem.

Try a different USB port, try a different cable, reboot the PC, and do you have access to try a different PC if necessary?

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.

charlesdindy

May 18, 2014
I've tried everything you mentioned except a different PC, which won't be real easy. At this point I'm suspecting HW because my gf's S3 will connect right up. It's been a nightmare and to top it off, before I found my new one, the POS card reader I had close by fried both of my SD cards with all my backups. :crying:

ATM I'm on MOAR v9.0.1 MK3
Android ver: 4.3
Baseband ver: L710VPUND8

Not sure how to find bootloader ver..?

Thanks for the suggestions!

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I've tried everything you mentioned except a different PC, which won't be real easy. At this point I'm suspecting HW because my gf's S3 will connect right up. It's been a nightmare and to top it off, before I found my new one, the POS card reader I had close by fried both of my SD cards with all my backups. :crying:

ATM I'm on MOAR v9.0.1 MK3
Android ver: 4.3
Baseband ver: L710VPUND8

Not sure how to find bootloader ver..?

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think you're right. Since your Baseband (modem) is ND8, most likely the OTA successfully upgraded your bootloader, too.

You can stay on MK3 MOAR v9.01 if you want, or flash any of the ND8-based ROMs (Wicked 6.0 or completely stock but rooted, either Odexed or DeOdexed), or any other ROM for that matter.

I think there's even a completely stock, unrooted ND8 zip you could flash with the latest Philz Recovery if your phone's under warranty and you want to take it to the Sprint store or Best Buy to see if they'll fix your microUSB port.

One guy was out of warranty and they still fixed that got him for free at a Sprint store but I wouldn't count on that kind of luck.

Sorry to hear about your SD cards. Try r free Windows program USBit and use it to try resetting your cards to see if you can at least format and use them again.

You're welcome!

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.

Last edited:

charlesdindy

May 18, 2014
Yeah, I've tried multiple ports and cables on another machine and neither the phone nor the machine do anything other than charge the phone. I have the tools and experience for SMT rework so I'll throw in a new port if it doesn't just need cleaned or re-soldered.