Display problem (broken??) - HTC support & warranty

Search This thread

edge540T

Sep 20, 2008
HTC U11
Another one, HD, don not worry for IS, i put it the first day and in two months appear the problem
Some people and sometime i've read that SAT says the humidity others times excesive preassure on screen....
Could someone afirm the cause of this issue?
Thanks and good luck to all

Attachments

• P10100872.JPG
    P10100872.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 195

jaygriggs

Sep 19, 2007
Detroit Mi
same problem

same problem with the oily spot it just showed up today. phones 3 monthes old. However I dont keep my phone in my pocket I have a little pouch and my phone was on a counter all day no humidity or moisture or plane rides. my screen appears to not have lost any of the touch sensitivity. Kinda bummed i have a Kaiser but it has a broken directional pad :( I'll seriously consider samsung next time

rsohne

Mar 4, 2007
same problem with the oily spot it just showed up today. phones 3 monthes old. However I dont keep my phone in my pocket I have a little pouch and my phone was on a counter all day no humidity or moisture or plane rides. my screen appears to not have lost any of the touch sensitivity. Kinda bummed i have a Kaiser but it has a broken directional pad :( I'll seriously consider samsung next time
+1 on Samsung. The HTC TP has definite quality issues which we the consumer are being forced to pay for. Its a different brand phone or Blackberyy for me next time. Screw HTC.

BarateaU

Dec 19, 2006
Stockholm
www.mobilabredband.se
I also got the oily square but the thing is it appears every now and then its not always there. And yesterday the touch fuction stoped working I cant do anything with the screen (the screen works as usual but I cant touch on anything) a real pain in the ass!
As I am from sweden and my company bought the phone Ill probleby get it repaired or a new phone!

tassadar898

Nov 25, 2008
wow this is so strange... I think the issue is the digitizer, you can buy a new one on ebay for $30 shipped. Follow this thread.. it happened on some dudes polaris and he changed out the digitizer and it fixed it. I made a new thread concerning this issue, it actually happened after I was peeling bodyguardz off. It didnt happen at first but now a day later I have that same oily spot!!! Check my thread out...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=501704

ouilsen

Nov 30, 2008
Same thing here.

I have the phone for 6 months. It never got wet but often got hot. Can pressure really be the cause? If so: I took my first airplane trip with the phone on me.

sanderd

Aug 24, 2008
Sorry for bumping this thread a bit; freaking out at the moment...

My situation:
Since a month or two, three after I purchased my phone (bought it in september), I started noticing a weird pattern on my screen.
With a white or bright color being displayed, there are some faint horizontal lines visible in a spot indicated on the image in my attachment.

I also started noticing these rainbow colors when you turn the screen off and tilt the device. Same as most people; I thought it was some vapor that managed to get under the screen protector, but didn't want to spoil my screen protector just to get rid of it.

Now, this morning, I woke up and didn't touch my mobile at all until a few hours ago (wanted to flash a 6.5 ROM). Screen was barely responding, so I soft-resetted the device. Screen was still responding, until (what appeared, might've been coincidence) TF3D came up. Lucky for me, I have MyMobiler installed, so I could back up my PIM etc.

What I'm asking you:
When you close the device (slide it), I notice a quick 'flash' on the screen, exactly where those lines and a darker spot appeared over the last few months.
It seems as if some internal element is putting pressure on the screen.
It's very hard to notice, as it's fast (plus moving, since it's sliding ;)), and again, only visible when the screen is displaying bright colors, 'best' = white

The easiest way to see it is by holding the screen by the edges (instead of the base), let it rest on the table, and push the base to close.

If more people notice this, there's something terribly wrong with construction of the device.
I sent an e-mail to the customer service, asking about warranty and such. I haven't (yet) mentioned that which I just posted here, but I will if they ask money for a repair. It's not our tasks - as customers - to pay for mistakes made by HTC.

I tried to replicate this in photoshop, so you have a visual idea of what I mean:
htc.jpg

Regards
SanderD

I tried searching the forums, but I really have no idea what keywords to use in this case. Sorry if this has been reported before, I couldn't find it

heero884

Jun 10, 2007
Was anybody able to get Sprint to exchange the phone? My Touch Pro started exhibiting this issue last week. I thought it was a issue with my screen protector...

mattyman

Oct 31, 2007
Perth
Sorry for bumping this thread a bit; freaking out at the moment...

My situation:
Since a month or two, three after I purchased my phone (bought it in september), I started noticing a weird pattern on my screen.
With a white or bright color being displayed, there are some faint horizontal lines visible in a spot indicated on the image in my attachment.

I also started noticing these rainbow colors when you turn the screen off and tilt the device. Same as most people; I thought it was some vapor that managed to get under the screen protector, but didn't want to spoil my screen protector just to get rid of it.

Now, this morning, I woke up and didn't touch my mobile at all until a few hours ago (wanted to flash a 6.5 ROM). Screen was barely responding, so I soft-resetted the device. Screen was still responding, until (what appeared, might've been coincidence) TF3D came up. Lucky for me, I have MyMobiler installed, so I could back up my PIM etc.

What I'm asking you:
When you close the device (slide it), I notice a quick 'flash' on the screen, exactly where those lines and a darker spot appeared over the last few months.
It seems as if some internal element is putting pressure on the screen.
It's very hard to notice, as it's fast (plus moving, since it's sliding ;)), and again, only visible when the screen is displaying bright colors, 'best' = white

The easiest way to see it is by holding the screen by the edges (instead of the base), let it rest on the table, and push the base to close.

If more people notice this, there's something terribly wrong with construction of the device.
I sent an e-mail to the customer service, asking about warranty and such. I haven't (yet) mentioned that which I just posted here, but I will if they ask money for a repair. It's not our tasks - as customers - to pay for mistakes made by HTC.

I tried to replicate this in photoshop, so you have a visual idea of what I mean:
htc.jpg

Regards
SanderD

I tried searching the forums, but I really have no idea what keywords to use in this case. Sorry if this has been reported before, I couldn't find it

SanderD : I have the same problem every now and then. I find that in hot weather it fixes itself (when I jump in my hot car). It clicks and the flickers a bit but then it goes. It's winter here now so I just hold the screen infront of the car heater vents for a while and it comes good.

rougeuxm

Nov 20, 2007
I've had my AT&T Fuze since the week it came out. Last week I noticed the oily rectangle underneath the screen. Shows up when the phone is off and battery is out. Sounds like almost everyone else here has the same issue. Seen a thread in the Diamond forum with similar complaints.
iPhone 3GS is looking to be my next upgrade. Love the chef's here, lots of cool ROMs, but I'm reaching the end of my rope with HTC devices and windows mobile. At least I gotta try an iphone for awhile to find out if its better or not.

I imagine even if I can get the fuze repaired, I'll probably have to reload the stock at&t rom. Not a big deal most likely, but still a hassle...
How many people is this affecting? Oh and if it hasn't already been stated- the oily stain/rectangle is easily seen under fluorescent light

sanderd

Aug 24, 2008
It's been a while since I posted my issue (non-responsive touch screen, lcd still working).

I contacted HTC directly, and sent it in for checking. They said that, if warranty didn't cover it, I'd have the choice between letting them fix it (for money, duh ;)) or just getting it back.

Luckily, warranty did, apparently cover it. UPS picked it up on monday, and by thursday I had it back already... Bizarrely fast service :s
Free of any charge, not even shipping costs.

Seems like they replaced the LCD and digitizer. My only complaint: screen isn't the same quality. I notice a polarize-ish effect when looking at it in sunlight. Perhaps they use a different and 'thicker' digitizer now? No idea..
Gamma seems higher too, colors are brighter. Not necessarily a good thing though, everything's just a bit too bright.

Overall, still, no complaints. It's functioning, it's not *THAT* bad, and I didn't have to pay anything.

aqub56

Sep 12, 2007
another one bites the dust:

just had mine replaced under warranty (well swapped out by vodafone actually) for a postage stamp sized oil patch in the middle of the screen.....

momojopoe

Feb 7, 2009
POSSIBLE SOLUTION!!!!

I fixed the very problem you guys are having with duct tape. Yes duct tape. The problem is not that the layers are separated, but that they are stuck together. So basically, your phone is acting as if it's continually being pressed, I put duct tape on the screen and gently removed it. I had to do this about twenty times, but eventually it separated the layers and the phone works like new. I know it sounds crazy, but it worked. I am aware of one other person who has had success with this method. I saw him post it on another forum. I believe this method will work for many of you so please try it and please be patient. As I said, it took several adhesions and removals before it worked.

mhatch

Jan 14, 2010
Ditto, HTC Tilt 2 Screen problem

I got a Tilt 2 from AT&T back in November 2009 when they first came out and I have the same issue: 'oily' screen defect. It is covering 70% of the middle of the screen and has spread by 1/4 inch since I first noticed it a few days ago.

I just called AT&T support and they won't support this as a warranty issue (no surprise there given this thread). I just wanted to add my 2c and the model # to this thread - unless we all start to complain about this quality problem HTC probably won't do anything about it.

The rep gave me an HTC Tech. Support # 877-873-6944. I'm going to call them next.

de Nosse

May 12, 2005
I have this problem since yesterday on my touch pro 2. Phone was always it's clip in its case, still when i took it out the oily spot is there. Everything still works, except the touch part of the screen which makes the phone rather useless at the moment.
I'm going to send it back to HTC this week after i've tried to make a backup of it.

But i have also an older (and out of warranty) touch cruise with this same problem. Also oily spot and no functioning touchscreen. Is this something i can (try) to repair myself ? Or is sending to HTC repair the only viable option ?

de Nosse

May 12, 2005
POSSIBLE SOLUTION!!!!

I fixed the very problem you guys are having with duct tape. Yes duct tape. The problem is not that the layers are separated, but that they are stuck together. So basically, your phone is acting as if it's continually being pressed, I put duct tape on the screen and gently removed it. I had to do this about twenty times, but eventually it separated the layers and the phone works like new. I know it sounds crazy, but it worked. I am aware of one other person who has had success with this method. I saw him post it on another forum. I believe this method will work for many of you so please try it and please be patient. As I said, it took several adhesions and removals before it worked.

I just tried this trick on the touch pro 2, and strangely enough it works. It still has the oil spot though, but the touchscreen is working again.
Thx for the info :)

Lomius

Mar 31, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I believe this is a design/quality issue. I posted about this same problem here some weeks back. HTC will not repair under warranty, paid in total 77 pounds to get this fix from them. I believe they are aware this is a problem because in the warranty book, screens are not covered even when its not your fault. They call it Newton ring .

This is unacceptable that this is apparently a very common issue. Anyone know how to go about a formal complaint or something. At the very least they should replace/refurbish our devices. I have the EXACT same issue. Usually have my phone in my jacket pocket. Had it in my jeans for the first time. 1 time was all it took.