Linux Port for HTC Vox

Search This thread

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
OK, they would only let us use SF.net if we didn't distribute as ISO, so I said we're not going to use it. But it is still pending!

No worries, we can always make a tar file, or a zip and post instructions :)
But I don't understand why they're taking it that long, and why they don't want us to give iso images... it's not that hard, everything is GPL... if I knew it I would have suggested the xda-developer wiki and the ftp... maybe it would have made it much easier given xanadux is already here... don't know, what do you think guys? Or maybe a free web hosting service or whatever...

Google code dont give us enough space
Sourceforge is slooow, and they seem to be not too cooperative (wich I understand, by the way -they have to be sure we won't use their precious bandwidth and storage space for commercial things-, but pisses me off)
Maybe sticking to xda-devel wasn't that bad at all...

Last edited:

omapandroid

Mar 12, 2008
just FYI once you think your kernel is ready for Android:

Android on OMAP

(seems that using a recent kernel >= 2.6.23 will be the easiest way to go regarding Android)

If you are still looking for a kernel related wiki, maybe you like to have look to

Embedded Linux Wiki

As TI has no OMAP related wiki, this is where are already some OMAP related pages.

Regarding OMAP kernel questions, if you like you can ask on OMAP mailing list as well:

OMAP Linux kernel mailing list

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
OK SF.net is working now, including web page. I'll set up the wiki tomorrow, if you still want to use it!?

Good news! Have tried and tells me Permission Denied, but I guess it will need work to show something up :)
If I get to have a little time tomorrow I'll start uploading documentation (the little one I have...)

I'm trying to upgrade to the kernel Stefan mentioned on the other post, I think before it was failing because of the framebuffer and the clock management , but no results for now. If I get to something, will post!

Good work!

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
hi guys, have you solved the i2c-controlled CPLD problem ?

Nope :(
The most similar to solving the gpio thing is... I can make it shut down by wrtiting a (1) to every single pin :) but that's not... too useful... When I try to write to the (wince-mapped) output pins it doesn't seem to do anything. I guess I'm making it all wrong, but with no info... don't know what to do...any ideas?

And have a bigger problem: I cannot even make it boot when I update to a newer kernel. No matter what I do, it doesn't get to boot if I try to port it to something newer than 2.6.16.. Doesn't even start... :(

PS: That's why the sourceforge page is still empty, I wanted to start from scratch with a newer kernel, but don't want to upload anything until I get it working...

omapandroid

Mar 12, 2008
And have a bigger problem: I cannot even make it boot when I update to a newer kernel. No matter what I do, it doesn't get to boot if I try to port it to something newer than 2.6.16.. Doesn't even start... :(
I don't know the VOX. Do you have a serial console (UART) on it? If yes, do you get any kernel output at all? Any error messages? What happens if you enable low level debugging

Kernel hacking -> Kernel debugging -> Kernel low-level debugging functions

?

frauhottelmann

Inactive Recognized Developer
OK, the Wiki is set up. vonix.sourceforge.net/wi/ What a pain in the a**. Setting up a Wiki is easier on every server. SF.net makes it difficult.
I have to change some things regarding user permissions and sending E-Mail through the Wiki but you can start using it now.
A rather simple web page will follow tomorrow (I have to sleep sometimes ;-) ).

Last edited:

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
OK, the Wiki is set up. vonix.sourceforge.net/wi/ What a pain in the a**. Setting up a Wiki is easier on every server. SF.net makes it difficult.
I have to change some things regarding user permissions and sending E-Mail through the Wiki but you can start using it now.
A rather simple web page will follow tomorrow (I have to sleep sometimes ;-) ).

Hi!
thanks man! I started flying around through the wiki too, but it scared me...

I have disassembled all the phone and took pictures of the internals, but their size is 2 mb each approximately, maybe they're too big? I also took the names of the ICs I found, and I got to say "Hello" on the 2.6.24 kernel, wich is a quite good thing, but then it gets frozen after

MACHINE NAME: VOX

@omapandroid: There's no serial port available, at least not on the connector, just USB+audio, so all the debug I'm doing is shown on screen.. I wish I had a serial and a Jtag, but I don't know enough of electronics to trace it over the board without braking it all..

So I have to keep debugging... but I guess I need to sleep too (Ispent 5 of the last 7 hours migrating code...)

Regards!

Last edited:

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
I've written a disassembly guide with a little tour through the hardware, but need to make a link on the sidebar to copy it to the wiki... but it tells me page is protected! can you take a look to it?

I've searched through the wiki but didn't find a way to make new pages...
thanks!

frauhottelmann

OK here is how it works. If you want to create a new page just use the URL like http://vonix.sourceforge.net/wi/index.php/Main_Page replace the Main_Page with the page name you want and then it'll say that there is no such page, but you can create it. So create and safe. Please put the link on the front page. Everything in the Wiki should be acessable from there. the sidebar isn't for links. If you need help for writing under the Wiki look here http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting
Otherwise, the side bar is here http://vonix.sourceforge.net/wi/index.php/MediaWiki:Sidebar

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
I have uploaded the guide. I'm definitely not good with the wiki... left a link on the homepage, but maybe we should make a decent wiki home with some specifications and pictures (I have lots of photos with images, booting linux, with some leds on or off...) what do you think?

The hardware tour:
http://vonix.sourceforge.net/wi/index.php/HardwareTour

Feel free to modify the formatting of the page, I know it su**s, but I don't know too well how to do it right... The same with the language, my native language isn't english so if you find something you don't understand too well, replace it the way you want ;)

Regards!

Last edited:

frauhottelmann

As you probably noticed, I changed some layout stuff (the tables are pretty useful). Otherwise you've done a great job. I will make a better home page, but not in the next days since I am pretty busy right now. But maybe I'll find some time!

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
No problem! Really it looks much nicer than what I've done :)
I have added some links to datasheets on a new page, and I'll be uploading a GPIO table soon (I finally found the damned PAD and arrow keys!)

Expect a new kernel build for the end of the week, this time with arrow keys :)