[APP][4.0+] TopNTP 1.1 - Achieve Rapid GPS Locks, Use more GPS Sats, Reliable NTP

Search This thread

Zatta

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
Dec 22, 2010
Sneek
I rooted the phone with Siyah kernel yesterday, mainly because of AGPS patch, but now I find this, so my main questions are:
1) Should I install both AGPS Patch and TopNTP, or is it enough just to install TopNTP?
2) I have manually backed up, just in case, /etc/gps.conf and /etc/sirfgps.conf, however I cannot find SUPLROOTCERT file on my phone?
3) I also have "GPS Test" and "GPS Status" apps installed on my phone, but they don't have superuser privileges. Is that all right?
4) Is it easy to uninstall the app and revert back to original settings just in case that something goes wrong?

Looking forward to testing your app!

Cheers

1) Just TopNTP
2) not ask phones have the certificate. The app installs one for you if you choose a profile with ssl.
3) Those apps don't require root. They don't change anything, mine does change the gps.conf file. It needs root to do so because it is located in /system.
4) Yes, very easy. On the first start the app creates a backup of gps.conf file. You can restore it easily from the settings menu of the app. If you want to revert to original settings you can do so before you remove the app.

Thanks for your interest!

Taptalked u see .. əəs n pəʞlɐʇdɐʇ

Dark_77

Jun 17, 2013
Thanks very much mate, that's very kind for all the info. I know "GPS Test" and "GPS Status" don't need root status, I was more asking would that make it OK to have on the phone along with TopNTP :)

I have done some testing again today, JellyBean has definitely fixed whatever was wrong with IceCreamSandwich, GPS locks in at around 30-40 seconds and most, and sometimes locks in to 6-7 satellites out of 8-9. However, this is what I'd like to improve on (attached image, won't let me link):

Thin black line is roughly where I was going through, I was very conscious to move in the straight line, I realise there will be slight derivations as it's not a 'proper' GPS device, it's only a smartphone, but I do think that those derivations especially left/right at the very start are a bit too large.

Anyhow, I will report here as soon as I install it, probably in the next day or so!

Attachments

• gps_results_1.jpg
    gps_results_1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 679
Reactions: Zatta

Zatta

Dec 22, 2010
Sneek
Thanks very much mate, that's very kind for all the info. I know "GPS Test" and "GPS Status" don't need root status, I was more asking would that make it OK to have on the phone along with TopNTP :)

I have done some testing again today, JellyBean has definitely fixed whatever was wrong with IceCreamSandwich, GPS locks in at around 30-40 seconds and most, and sometimes locks in to 6-7 satellites out of 8-9. However, this is what I'd like to improve on (attached image, won't let me link):

Thin black line is roughly where I was going through, I was very conscious to move in the straight line, I realise there will be slight derivations as it's not a 'proper' GPS device, it's only a smartphone, but I do think that those derivations especially left/right at the very start are a bit too large.

Anyhow, I will report here as soon as I install it, probably in the next day or so!

Oh, I didn't understand you correctly in that case.
I have Gps Status installed, for sure it is okay to have all those apps installed.
Only the Faster### apps interfere with each other and TopNTP as they modify the same file.

Zatta

Dec 22, 2010
Sneek
@karimrim, I've added a new apk to post three of this thread. Would you be so kind to test it and report back at this thread? The app overwrites an existing addon.d script on the first run after upgrading to the new version. There is no need to re-install the patch if you have already running on you current nightly. If you don't then obviously you'll have to install :) The addon.d script has a nice extra feature for those upgrading their nightlies manually in CWM.

karimrim

May 31, 2012
Success

@karimrim, I've added a new apk to post three of this thread. Would you be so kind to test it and report back at this thread? The app overwrites an existing addon.d script on the first run after upgrading to the new version. There is no need to re-install the patch if you have already running on you current nightly. If you don't then obviously you'll have to install :) The addon.d script has a nice extra feature for those upgrading their nightlies manually in CWM.

@Zatta : works as expected with your latest apk, kept modifications after having flashed today's nightly with cyandelta ^^

Reactions: Zatta

A Ham Sandwich

Nov 22, 2011
I did a search and am just wondering, what's the difference between "Samsung Galaxy S3" and "Samsung Galaxy S3 Full?"

tahoom

Jun 9, 2013
problem

Download the apk from the playstore of downoad it from here!

Personal note: I prefer if you download it from the paystore because I an highly interested in the statistics it provides to me. However, if you re unabe to download it from the laystore, feel free to use the download from xda. It is the exact same apk. All functions are for free, we just need your absolutely voluntarily donations to keep the server up in the air. We trust XDA users fully!

when I download the package and wanna run it the phone shows this error:
"There is a problem parsing the package"

my phone is HTC wildfire(buzz)

I try downloading the file with my computer and transfer it to the phone and directly downloading with the phone.

where is the problem??

Zatta

Dec 22, 2010
Sneek
I don't know, it is the apk that I also uploaded to the play store. Do you already have an older version running? Can't you download it from the play store and if not, why not?

tahoom

Jun 9, 2013
in play.google.com I saw that this application needs android 4.0.3 or higher!!? am I right?
if correct I must use AGPS in this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1447591

??

Last edited:

c1nd3r

Jul 17, 2013
crash

I have a dev edition HTC One rooted. The app crashes the phone all the time. uninstalling it solves the issue.

Zatta

Dec 22, 2010
Sneek
Can you give me more info about that issue? Preferably with logs?

c1nd3r

Jul 17, 2013
Can you give me more info about that issue? Preferably with logs?

After installing and running it, screen blanks and phone reloads... when not running the app, the phone reloads every few times a day for no apparent reason.

which logs and how...?

Zatta

Dec 22, 2010
Sneek
After installing and running it, screen blanks and phone reloads... when not running the app, the phone reloads every few times a day for no apparent reason.

which logs and how...?

Weirdest story I've ever heard, I can't imagine how that can be related to any app.
Anyway, a logcat while running the app would be nice. But no hurry because I'm going on a three week holiday today so I hope you'll be an isolated case.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

GPS.conf Profiles
    This app does installs a customized gps.conf file for your GPS. It has several different profiles to choose from. We recommend to use the default Google profile but it is up to you. Apart from the general profiles, you can customize the one profile you choose to fit your own needs.

NTP Servers
    Derek Gordon maintains a special NTP server pool for you. Dispite what everyone thinks, it is not necessarily the one closest to you which is the best. We consider Derek Gordon's server to be the best option to choose because it has the best data and is most frequently updated.
    For more information about the NTP server check out the "About this app" section found under the settings of this app. Also, feel free to visit derekgordon.com for more in depth information.

aGPS Alamanacs
    Derek Gordon maintains a special aGPS almanac for devices using Qualcomm or similar chipsets. This xtra.bin data file is updated every 30 minutes and is located on a content delivery system maintained by the generous donations of ther userbase.
    For more information about the NTP server check out the "About this app" section found under the settings of this app. Also, feel free to visit derekgordon.com for more in depth information.

Donations
    To maintain the server we need money. Donations through this app will be divided between Derek Gordon (Crypted) and Zatta on XDA.
    Each star costs 2 Euro and will reduce the waiting time before you can install the patch. 0 star users wait 20 seconds, 1 star users 10, 2 star users only 5 and 3 star users and Premium users can install immediately.
    You can become a premium user for only 5 Euro. This is a discount of 1 euro compared to a three star user! We choose this method to allow every one to use all features of this app and because we believe in XDA developers users. Please, don't leech!

Backup and Restore
    On the first run of this app a backup is made on your SD card. Don't remove it because a backup is only made during the first run (or at an update if you choose to remove it anyway) and no other backup is found on your SD card.

ROM Updates
    The patch this app provides is located on your /system partition so every time you do update your ROM the patch is overwritten and you will have to redo the patch.
    Unless you are using a Cyanogenmod based ROM and your rom has addon.d support. In that case a script will be placed in the addon.d directory to preserve the patch.
    It can be disabled in the app's settings but is enabled by default.

ASUS Users
    On ASUS roms a typical file is present at /system/etc/gps, namely the gpsconfig.xml file. This app pathes that file as well, to be specific the PeriodicTimeOutSec parameter. Of course a backup is made of this file as well.

Get it on Google Play!

Thanks to Sneakyghost for German translation!
    Changelog

Version 1.1:
    • Now also localized in Italian, translations by XDA Member @Kiba No Ou

Version 1.0.5:
    • Removed in-app donations, thanks to everyone who has donated!
    • improved mounting /system to RW

Version 1.0.4:
    • Added German translation. Huge thanks to @Sneakyghost for this!

Version 1.0.0:
    • Repaired addon.d file preservation function (thanks @karimrim)

Version 0.9.9:
    • Bugfix for the app FC after quickly checking donation options
    • Link to the app thread under settings
    • Updated database; removed empty items
    • Updated Dutch translations

Version 0.9.2:
    • Bugfix for the addon.d script
    • Added specific supl hosts spinner
    • Re-organised the database, less profiles, better names for them
    • Added a reset custom button in the preferences

Version 0.9.1:
    • First public beta
    • Minor changes to some strings

Version 0.6.6:
    • Reverted busybox downgrade from 7 to 9 (now it is cm9 again)
    • Addon.d support finished (enabled by default)

Version 0.6.3:
    • Using busybox from cm7 instead of cm9
    • Started implementing addon.d support
    • Started translating (to Dutch)

Version 0.6.2:
    • Using busybox from cm9 instead of cm10
    • bugfix: the setup screen not disappearing after showing the install dialog

Version 0.6.1:
    • Move away from using a script from the shell
    • Using a loader instead of AsyncTask
    • Speed improvements
    • Added permissions for super user acces and write external storage

Version 0.2.0:I
    • ntroduced a welcome screen
    • Introduced this changelog
    • Stringify it all
    • Introduced the backup and restore functionality

Version 0.1.0:
    • Updated database handeling.
    • In app billing fully tested.
    • Use of CM10's busybox binairy.
    • Implemented patching the gpsconfig.xml file for asus devices.
    • UI work.

Version 0.0.1:
    • Initial closed beta release.
    Download the apk from the playstore of downoad it from here!

Personal note: I prefer if you download it from the paystore because I an highly interested in the statistics it provides to me. However, if you re unabe to download it from the laystore, feel free to use the download from xda. It is the exact same apk. All functions are for free, we just need your absolutely voluntarily donations to keep the server up in the air. We trust XDA users fully!
    It's been a couple? years since I've been on XDA. Let me say thank you to everyone who used the patches I made way back in 2011/2012 and kept going for years. It was an amazing adventure and I'm glad that some folks still find value in them. The NTP server pool I run is still top notch, by the way. Newer Android won't find much use for these patches, if any, but the correct time has always been the most important ingredient and still should be when you're modding GPS stuff. Cheers folks and thanks for all of those "thanks" clicks over the years.
    Bump..

I need the same. Or if someone could tell me how to write to the partition that would be great

I'm fully rooted on Note3, and of course, been having various GPS problems since upgrading to KitKat.

Seems that my TopNTP is not writing to gps.conf

Can someone please post TopNTP tweaked gps.conf using Derek Gordon servers ?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ok, I did find gps.conf in /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files/ and copied it to \etc.

No changes. Still it takes forever to lock, most of the time doesn't lock at all.
    I'm just curious, should I change the permissions even after I copy it to \ETC ?

All comments above, I did some modifications to how the app mounts /system rw, please test attached APK and if it works or not, please report back with your ROM and device model.

Any test over intel socs?

QUE?!

How do I manually setup topntp to use addon.d scripts manually?
    It should install an addon.d script automatically if you check the check-box in the settings. If that doesn't work for one or another reason, you can find the script I wrote under /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files/67-topntp.sh and copy it manually to /system/addon.d and set the permissions accordingly.

Anyone can comment on this? A useful comment I mean ?
    maybe @crypted ?

I've removed the permission
    Code:
    <uses-permission android:name="com.android.vending.BILLING" />
    for two reasons:
    a) We @crypted and myself have reached our goals and the server can stay online for another decade with the donations received (Thanks a bunch everyone!)
    b) Google now wants independent developers to add their house address to the play store and I don't want that. The e-mail address I use for my developer account already gets flooded with spam because of the play store publication and I certainly don't want that with my home address. I develop apps for fun and it has to stay like this!