How To Unlock HTC Hero (especially the Orange UK)

Did it work?

• Yes

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

westicemix

Mar 31, 2007
Hi! I'm planning to buy a Hero from ebay which is locked to Orange UK. Will I be able to update to the latest firmware of Orange even without the Orange sim? The phone comes with the Orange payg sim but I'm in the Philippines and we don't have Orange Network here. I already have the latest android SDK installed on my PC that I use with my HTC Magic. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

ddotpatel

Mar 10, 2010
Leeds, UK
Hi! I'm planning to buy a Hero from ebay which is locked to Orange UK. Will I be able to update to the latest firmware of Orange even without the Orange sim? The phone comes with the Orange payg sim but I'm in the Philippines and we don't have Orange Network here. I already have the latest android SDK installed on my PC that I use with my HTC Magic. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Yep, I can confirm, an Orange sim is not required to update the firmware.

westicemix

Mar 31, 2007
Yep, I can confirm, an Orange sim is not required to update the firmware.

I guess that solves my problem. What I should do once I get the phone is upgrade to the latest Orange firmware and after that, the phone will be able to accept the unlock code. Thank you very much for the help.

I'm crossing my fingers that it will work. Otherwise I'll have a useless android phone. :(

crazyVII

Jul 16, 2008
FU*K ---> F*UK --> don't upgrade ;)

It definitely wont be Android 2.1 as it hasn't been released yet, you will know for sure when it is released as EVERYONE will be talking about it!!!

Does it really work?... Hmmm,... I *think* so, but I only assume that from IRFAN99's comment saying...

But dont take that as gospel, you know what they say, "assumption is the mother of all f*~K ups"!!!

Can anyone please confirm if that works????

Peace out.

you are sooooo damn right!!

summary --> your key will work! (after flashing offical ROM Version:2.73.61.66 for Orange /Release Date: 2010-02-04)

BUT: just: english/spanish/portugiese ;=) ...

- NO ROOT /no flashrec/ no adb flash_image method / no recovery image any more/ NOTHING USEFUL HAPPENED

until now i didn't manage to get root, i've to study now, have an exam tomorrow...
just wanted to do a ;=) --- fast upgrade ---

will try the goldcard method maybe tonight... will let u know if it works(-ed)

greets

ps.: someone know where to get--> QMAT 5.06
link referred there: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=572683
(directly: http://revskills.de/downloads/qmat_506.zip)
does not work anymore....
otherway i'll be stuck on an english / not-Rooted ROM / with out all my apps (titanium backup^^;=))
muuuuuahahahhahah^^:///

Last edited:

crazyVII

Jul 16, 2008
solved (to get root again...)

referring to
(http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/)

downgrade: (THX HTC to not do a 'if version older, no NO downgrade' check ;=P)
http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportViewNews.aspx?dl_id=675&news_id=261

use flashrec to put a custom recovery image on your device :)

WUUUUUUUUHUUUUUUUUUUUU ;=)
thx god :=) it worked ;=)
really have to say.. for a few seconds.. i thought i made my phone useless (just unroot, and english ;=) but as good as :=))

and another thanks upwards ;=) for those recovery image guys...
1) didnt knew that i was able to restore serveral ndroid backups ;=) just thought ONE backup...
2) i'm now able to restore my ndroid backup from 730 AM today :)
just 5hours work ;) for nothing :D hehe ;=P
but at least :) everything working now - again :)

crazyVII

Jul 16, 2008
thx for fast response...

... thankfully it won't be needed (for my side..)

but maybe someone updates the old post, where QMAT is mentioned.. :)

thX!

ddotpatel

Mar 10, 2010
Leeds, UK
I guess that solves my problem. What I should do once I get the phone is upgrade to the latest Orange firmware and after that, the phone will be able to accept the unlock code. Thank you very much for the help.

I'm crossing my fingers that it will work. Otherwise I'll have a useless android phone. :(

I used the instructions from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=645253 . They are instructions for installing a custom ROM. Once that is done you will be able to use an unlock code no problem. It is only some of the stock Orange ROMs that do not accept the unlock code.

Just try the lock code on the phone once you recieve it, you might be ok. IF it doesn't work, it is up to you which way you go.
...IF you are happy to keep the Orange branded stuff, upgrade your ROM to a newer one using http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=559622 then unlock. If you want to install a custom ROM, use the instructions that I used myself to use a custom ROM, then unlock.

Peace.

westicemix

Mar 31, 2007
I'd like to be able to to install custom roms so I think upgrading to the latest Orange firmware is not a good idea since it's going to prevent me from getting root access.

Thanks everyone for all your help. :)

kasmq

Mar 6, 2008
bucharest
And lastly,...

Quote:Originally Posted by kasmq
It would be so good if this would work for Orange romania also but when i try to download the update by entering the s/n it says that the upload is not for me. so i should wait ahwhile i guess.

You can get the update that BENEDICT.S is talking about from here,... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=559622

Let us know how it goes yeah?!

Peace out.

Thx for the info. I tried installing. the RUU does not let me install on my phone it says something about serial number is not what should be... ( i am not sure of the exact error because i did it yesterday). So i'm guessing this update should be installed only on UK Orange phones and not on others.

Back to the drawing board.

ddotpatel

Mar 10, 2010
Leeds, UK
Thx for the info. I tried installing. the RUU does not let me install on my phone it says something about serial number is not what should be... ( i am not sure of the exact error because i did it yesterday). So i'm guessing this update should be installed only on UK Orange phones and not on others.

Back to the drawing board.

I *think* that means you need to create a goldcard 1st, then try again,... If I followed the instructions from here,... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=645253

And If you still cant do it, post up your problems there,... But include all error messages you get. We'r on a mission now,... Hang in there...

kasmq

Mar 6, 2008
bucharest
Hey, thank you for the reply.
I have Modaco3.0 installed so i don't think i need goldcard ( so phone is rooted ). I will try again tonight and the i'll come back with info.

ddotpatel

Mar 10, 2010
Leeds, UK
Hey, thank you for the reply.
I have Modaco3.0 installed so i don't think i need goldcard ( so phone is rooted ). I will try again tonight and the i'll come back with info.

Oh,... I assumed any ROM coulb be applied to any handset,.. as long as u use the correct GSM or CDMA one.

So why do you want to put the stock Orange ROM on it if you already using MCR?

kasmq

Mar 6, 2008
bucharest
we'll .. just a blink of the light at the end of the tunnel. ( dum dum dum ) . i thought of a miracle(?!), if i did the update it would work. See...i got the unlock code but it does not work using MCR so i was hoping for a fix by using another rom. but i guess i will move to orange since i can't get this phone unlocked by any means.

ddotpatel

Mar 10, 2010
Leeds, UK
we'll .. just a blink of the light at the end of the tunnel. ( dum dum dum ) . i thought of a miracle(?!), if i did the update it would work. See...i got the unlock code but it does not work using MCR so i was hoping for a fix by using another rom. but i guess i will move to orange since i can't get this phone unlocked by any means.

Strange,... I thought any unlock code would work fine with MCR! You tried with a non-Orange SIM inserted yeah?

Nicolasfoto

I know I'm doing something stupid, but I dont know what!

I'm 100% sure the rooting bit worked. When I want to do the update part, using "sense_villain_for_4beta2-signed.zip" renamed to update.zip, I get the following error:

Install from sdcard...
finding update package...
opening update package...
verifying update package...
E: No Signature (23 files)
E: Verification failed
installation abborted

My phone is a HTC Hero G2
Build: 2.73.405.5 146733 CL#1267 release-keys

ddotpatel

Mar 10, 2010
Leeds, UK

I'm 100% sure the rooting bit worked. When I want to do the update part, using "sense_villain_for_4beta2-signed.zip" renamed to update.zip, I get the following error:

Install from sdcard...
installation abborted

Have you tried any other ROMS,... Or is it just this one you are getting the error with?

crazyVII

Jul 16, 2008

Install from sdcard...
installation abborted

did you do something to the package? extract, re-zip ?

which would be a change to the signature...
=> which would lead to the verification error?

try re-download etC? different source :)

good luck!