[How-to]Unlock/Re-lock Nexus 10 Bootloader

Search This thread

jrod091

Feb 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I downloaded the SDK, there are loads of files and folders, where exactly am I looking?

Open up the sdk manager and look under extras directory for the driver I believe

Sdk manager.exe in the root of your sdk directory if on Windows

Edit: wait, you don't need the drivers on linux or Mac, forgot, my bad

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

jmhalder

Mar 26, 2008
illinois
I have 3 questions

1. Unlocking nexus 10 means rooting it ?
2. Is unlocking or rooting tablets legal in US?
3. I ordered nexus 10 but read not so good things about the limited applications are supported for 10 inch screen .. Is there any workaround to have apps look as good as iPad I mean using the entire screen ...any custom ROMs available yet

1: No, it means that the bootloader now allows things like fastboot to flash the boot/recovery/system partitions, this is supported by google and not a "hack", this means that after you unlock the bootloader, you can flash a custom recovery (CWM), following that, you can root it, or install custom roms

2: In the case of the Nexus 10, HELL NO! If you were to circumvent security or encryption mesures to unlock the bootloader, it would violate DMCA, which IS illegal for things like the PS3 or possibly the iPad. But since you are using a google/samsung supported method of unlocking, you are doing NOTHING wrong.

3: This is a limitation of creativity with app developers, beautiful apps CAN be made, but not all developers have made their apps scale well, this is a problem only time can fix. That being said, there are no custom roms available yet, even so, it wouldn't take care of this problem.

treyy

Nov 19, 2010
Open up the sdk manager and look under extras directory for the driver I believe

Sdk manager.exe in the root of your sdk directory if on Windows

Edit: wait, you don't need the drivers on linux or Mac, forgot, my bad

i get the same problem but im on windows. i downloaded the SDK. there are to folders SDK and Eclipse. But i cant find a manager.exe there

why CMD missed adpwinApi.dll when i enter Fastboot devices ?

Last edited:

byock1

Feb 2, 2011
I'm surprised it's taking so long to get root / unlocked on a Nexus device. They have root for the N4 and even the Droid DNA already.

The_Superhoo

Nov 16, 2012
Try this, reboot back into the bootloader, then using the volume buttons select the Recovery option and select with Power. That will take you to a screen with a red triangle.

In there, hold Power and press Volume Up, you're now in the stock recovery. Then select Wipe Data/Factory and select it. Reboot and it should be ok now.

Good luck.

I'm having the same problem as the other guy. I got it to the Android with the red triangle, I hold Power and Volume Up and it takes me to a screen that looks like the bootloader and says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!" and doesnt do anything from there that I can tell. I dont get the menu to select Wipe Data/Factory

What do I do? :(

PJnc284

Jan 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm having the same problem as the other guy. I got it to the Android with the red triangle, I hold Power and Volume Up and it takes me to a screen that looks like the bootloader and says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!" and doesnt do anything from there that I can tell. I dont get the menu to select Wipe Data/Factory

What do I do? :(

Don't hold them, just tap them simultaneously. That's what ended up working for me. Also make sure you're holding the correct volume button. Up will be the volume key on the right.

Last edited:

The_Superhoo

Nov 16, 2012
Ended up following the directions linked below. (Except for the last couple that refer to re-locking the bootloader). Obviously using the file names for the N10 rather than the N7. It worked! Phew. Tense hour or so there for me

Well, I cant paste the link because I'm a "new user" but if you go to Google and search for "How to Hard Reset a Bricked Nexus 7 With Your PC", it's the first search result.

Last edited:
Reactions: byock1

jrod091

Feb 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
i get the same problem but im on windows. i downloaded the SDK. there are to folders SDK and Eclipse. But i cant find a manager.exe there

It's been a while since I actually used Windows, I'll look when I get home unless someone beats me to it

Reactions: treyy

stealthj

Jan 16, 2008
Silicon Valley, California

Not sure why you guys are looking for manager.exe...

make sure you manually installed the android bootloader driver when it says cannot find android 1.0 driver....

then hit Start, CMD ( command prompt)

CD (change direcrtory) to where fastboot is. Mine is C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

so cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

then fastboot devices, then fastboot oem unlock.

not really sure why we need to save the ID of the device as it is still there when I unlocked the bootloader

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Not sure why you guys are looking for manager.exe...

make sure you manually installed the android bootloader driver when it says cannot find android 1.0 driver....

then hit Start, CMD ( command prompt)

CD (change direcrtory) to where fastboot is. Mine is C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

so cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

then fastboot devices, then fastboot oem unlock.

not really sure why we need to save the ID of the device as it is still there when I unlocked the bootloader
Hmm... not sure what is going on but now my Nexus 10 is stuck at the X boot animation...

all i did was unlock the bootlader and reset... oh well. time to diagnose!!

Reactions: treyy

stealthj

Jan 16, 2008
Did bootloader unlock but now stuck in bootanimation no matter what i do. I tried to flash the factory image back, it says completed but then it wont boot still, i tried to re lock the bootloader and nothing, any ideas on what to do?

Reactions: dh350nwo

jrod091

Feb 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
to get the drivers downloaded, go to \sdk\tools and look for android.bat, double-click and the sdk manager should come up, now scroll down to the extras directory and check "Google USB Driver", then click "Install 1 package..." and you should have the usb drivers.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

fastboot -w is the command right? i believe i did that already and still nothing...

yeah, that's the command, weird... did you try it by getting to the bootloader on the actual device?

Reactions: akhan47

stealthj

Jan 16, 2008
to get the drivers downloaded, go to \sdk\tools and look for android.bat, double-click and the sdk manager should come up, now scroll down to the extras directory and check "Google USB Driver", then click "Install 1 package..." and you should have the usb drivers.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

yeah, that's the command, weird... did you try it by getting to the bootloader on the actual device?
Yeah i can get in and out of the bootloader just fine, can unlock and re lock the bootloader with fastboot, cant boot the device up though... i let it sit for about 10 min or so each time too...
edit: i go to bootloader using hardware keys, not fastboot as i cant boot into android

jrod091

Feb 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Yeah i can get in and out of the bootloader just fine, can unlock and re lock the bootloader with fastboot, cant boot the device up though... i let it sit for about 10 min or so each time too...
edit: i go to bootloader using hardware keys, not fastboot as i cant boot into android

try booting into the stock recovery and doing a factory reset that way, it worked for someone earlier on here I believe

stealthj

Jan 16, 2008
try booting into the stock recovery and doing a factory reset that way, it worked for someone earlier on here I believe
EDIT: WILL try to do that...

EDIT: IT WORKED!! works with bootloader unlocked and bootloader locked.

just have to go into recovery after locking or unlocking and hit those buttons until menu shows up and hit wipe data and then wipe cache partition. thanks!!

Last edited:

slide83

Mar 15, 2011
So it would seem I'm in the same boat that Stealthj was in... I unlocked it, but seemingly no matter what I do, it goes to the boot up screen with the Nexus X.... How exactly do I get back to the stock recovery? I've tried holding down the power button until it restarts and then hitting the volume up button, but that just sends it back to the Nexus X loading screen again.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

I can get into the bootloader screen, but when I hit the "recovery mode" option it goes to the screen with the red triangle... Help anyone?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First Of all Thanks to AndroidCentral for this!!!

I am not responsible for any bricked device
    Try at your own risk!!

Now Lets go and unlock the nexus 10!! :laugh:

Requirements"
    Fastboot
    Android SDK

Downloads:
    fastboot (windows): http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/uploads/tools/fastboot-windows.zip
    fastboot (mac): http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/uploads/tools/fastboot-mac.zip

Now lets unlock!!!! :highfive:
    1.Power off your Nexus 10, and reboot it into fastboot mode by holding the volume up button, volume down button and power button.
    2.Plug your tablet into a full speed primary USB port on your computer. If you're using Windows, you'll see the pop-up about drivers being installed and initialized.
    3.Open the terminal or command prompt on your computer, and navigate to the folder you have placed the fastboot program in. if you have already done this before you might not get any prob in doing all this stuff!!
    4.At the command line, type in (without any quotes) "fastboot devices". You should get a device ID returned, which lets you know that fastboot can see your Nexus 10
    5.it is really important to get the ID of the device or else you cannot go further
    6.After you have got the ID just type(without qoutes) "fastboot oem unlock" in your command window.
    7.Look to your tablet, where you'll have to verify the process. Remember that there's no way to undo the data loss that will happen the instant you say "Yes".
    8.When the tablet reboots, you're done. You're free to install custom software, modified boot images, custom recovery.

Enjoy your unlocked nexus 10 !!! :D

IF you want to RE-lock your bootloader
    1.All the steps are same
    2.on the 6th step just change the code from "fastboot oem unlock" to "fastboot oem lock" and also flash back to STOCK images (if changed) or else it wont boot
    3.This will relock your bootloader so that only authentic, signed images from Google can be flashed to the phone.

Enjoy!!! :D
    How much time take the reboot of the nexus 10? I'm waiting about an hour and I'm a little afraid of...

Try this, reboot back into the bootloader, then using the volume buttons select the Recovery option and select with Power. That will take you to a screen with a red triangle.

In there, hold Power and press Volume Up, you're now in the stock recovery. Then select Wipe Data/Factory and select it. Reboot and it should be ok now.

Good luck.
    I can go to the fastboot menu, and when I choose Recovery and press power it takes me to a screen with an android with a red triangle. There I press power and volume up simultaneously and keep it pressed, the screen turns off and the nexus 10 vibrates

Here is the error. You have to hold down the power button continuously and then you hit volume plus. Then you get to the "Stock-Recovery"
    Any idea if this sends anything to the google servers? I know when unlocking the T700 it sends the serial to ASUS to void the warranty. Not sure if this was the case with any nexus device or not (also I realize this isnt out yet). Just figured i'd ask if you had any past experience with the N7 or prior nexus device :)

No, it doesn't send anything to Google, that's why they give you the option to relock the bootloader :cool:.
    Hey,
    I'm from the Nook Color Community. There is a SD slot for Nook Color and none for this. The unlock process seems to much more complicated. Do we lose all the /data when we unlock the Bootloader?

Also, can we backup before unlocking?

Alvin

yes, it will wipe data, use adb to back up