SD Card Unexpectedly Removed

Search This thread

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
Why don't people just reformat to something else ? Instead of fat32

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

Because that isn't necessarily the problem. It seems to be rather specific to one namebrand, size, and class of card. I'm still not having any problems with my Patriot 32gb Class 4 formatted with fat32, whereas I was having problems with my SanDisk 32GB Clad 10 UHS1 red/grey card.

I still suspect a hardware incompatibility between Samsung and SanDisk.

Android Revolution

Feb 26, 2011
San Diego
I've had these same issues on all my Samsung phones, with Patriot Class 10 16GB cards. It's not an exclusive issue to this phone or SanDisk.

I am now using a Samsung Class 10 32GB and haven't had a single issue.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
Patriot doesn't actually manufacture their own memory cards (at least not the guts). Who actually makes the components of that particular model of Patriot memory card? It could very well be SanDisk.

RonnieRuff

May 22, 2010
Austin
Because that isn't necessarily the problem. It seems to be rather specific to one namebrand, size, and class of card. I'm still not having any problems with my Patriot 32gb Class 4 formatted with fat32, whereas I was having problems with my SanDisk 32GB Clad 10 UHS1 red/grey card.

I still suspect a hardware incompatibility between Samsung and SanDisk.

When there is incompatibility with hardware it would not be so intermittent across devices. It is more likely firmware.

Carbon 1.5 | Hue Brown Theme by KROZ | Voodoo Rocks! | sent by Google®

BTT8

Oct 16, 2012
When there is incompatibility with hardware it would not be so intermittent across devices. It is more likely firmware.

Carbon 1.5 | Hue Brown Theme by KROZ | Voodoo Rocks! | sent by Google®

That's what I'm thinking. I was running 4.2.1 and using my 32gb sandisk just fine up until recently when 4.2.2 was released...

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
Except it doesn't seem to be so intermittent -- most people posting about this problem are using a very specific model of SanDisk card.

I'm a 20-year career network engineer, and I've seen plenty of hardware incompatibilities take longer to show up than this. Even so, hardware incompatibilities are typically fixed via firmware/software, so the solution will likely be the same and need to come from Samsung.

Reactions: RonnieRuff

wbd

Jun 20, 2009
Melbourne
Just thought I'd add to the discussion my experience with this problem.

Grey/Red SanDisk 32GB Ultra U1.
S3 with stock ROM, unrooted.

Was working perfectly well for over a month under 4.0.4 and then 4.1.1, but as soon as 4.1.2 was applied, the problems began.
Have tried 3 different stock 4.1.2 ROMs, but the problem persists.

I think it's firmware related (specifically 4.1.2).
Hopefully it will be acknowledged by Samsung and addressed in a (very near) future release.

EDIT: Given that the card was working before the JB upgrade, I don;t think it is related to the thickness of the card. I am going to try the Protect SD card setting instead - will report back if/when anything happens.

Last edited:

wbd

Jun 20, 2009
Melbourne
I am going to try the Protect SD card setting instead - will report back if/when anything happens.

Well, the Protect SD card setting has not stopped the ongoing SD Card unmounting/mounting.

Have been running SD Card Monitor app... and assuming that it actually works as intended, the only interesting information I have discovered is that when the phone is not connected to mains the incidence of unmounts/remounts skyrockets.

Example: Unplugged my phone last night when I went to bed (11:00pm), left it sitting on the desk and when I checked this morning at 6:15am, the app was reporting 157 unmounts - that's more than one every three minutes!! :eek: (For the record, the unmounts were - from what I could tell - at random intervals and not evenly spaced apart.)

So I plugged the phone in for recharge at 6:15am (still sitting in the same place on the desk) and since then (three hours), not one single unmount. FYI, I plug my phone in to the laptop to charge, not directly into mains.

Anyone else able to test to see if the SD Card issue is more prevalent when their device is not plugged in? If we can get some correlation it may assist in diagnosing the cause of the problem (and hopefully identifying a solution).

kemin

Apr 9, 2011
Same thing happened to me when I upgraded my Galaxy S2 i9100 to version 4.1.2 (Neat Rom 4.3 and 4.4). I've got a microsd Sandisk 32gb (r/g) class 10.
I tried, without success, to:
- changing rom (it work only with ics or earlier rom)
- changing kernel (i tried stock, philz, siyah)
- formatting microsd with device
- formatting microsd with "sd formatter"

I noticed that sd card works when I use the phone or when the device is plugged for recharge.

Last edited:

Sidneymac

Dec 12, 2010
Its probably 4.1.2 then since I noticed the change aftee updating...Its time we get a 4.2.2 for TW roms.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
I've been getting these recently. I'm using a Kingston SD card modified through a microsd adapter. Anyway, the end of my adapter that is inserted first into the microsd slot is a little worn. I've noticed I can move the adapter while it's inserted and get this error message. My guess is "small" cards. I really think it's a hardware issue. Actually, I'm just trying to think of a good material to "wedge" in the micro sd cage to tighten things up. My guess is that will fix it.

arctic84

Jan 11, 2008
As i'm taking my TPU cover off of my phone, it'll flex the phone slightly and the unexpectedly removed error will occur. (samsung 32gb microsd)

I also believe it's a hardware error, if not with the aluminum slot itself, possibly some hardware connected inside which moves around. :(

I want to try the samsung 64gb to see if the actual thickness will make the difference, but it's far too expensive at the moment..

I'm surprised no one has started a petition of some sort considering this isn't limited to the t-mobile version, as someone else stated it also occurs with the verizon model.

william58

Mar 31, 2011
Tacoma
www.moskovita-photography.com
I have a AT&T Note II & Tab 2 and had gotten a new microSD 32GB card for the Note II and considering getting another one for the Tab 2.
However it was brought to my attention in another post on AT&T area of these problems, So, I took my MicroSD 32GB card back to Best Buy and talked to the head tech guy and he said he hasn't heard any problems at his store yet, but said it could be very possible as this was a newer card that is totally new and may have some bugs in it that is just now surfacing.

Said these below were much more reliable for the moment:

PNY Technologies - 32GB High Speed microSDHC Class 10 Memory Card
Sale: $29.99
Reg. Price: $79.99
You Save: $50.00

I bought two for that price for my Samsung Galaxy Note II and Tab 2.

Hopefully no problems.

Anybody here used the PNY cards?

Last edited:

JesseMT4G

Aug 30, 2011
Youngstown
I have an s3 and have had 3 cards do this on me. It seems anytime in my instance I do an OTA update, the next day or few days later the Sd card goes to crap. I lost a lot of pictures one time, so make a habit to back everything up on the computer.

Have had an old card in for the last few weeks and no issues, only 8G and been solid.

Will make a habit to take the card out when doing OTA updates or adding a different ROM.

just my opinion, from my experiences.

Sent from a galaxy far away!

fueradeljuego

Apr 18, 2012
Never had a problem with my 32GB PNY.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

amazon is selling the ADATA 32GB Class 10 microSDHC Card with adapter for $20. Anyone know if this particular card would work?

After my gray/red sandisk 32 gb card got fried I've been using a 16 gb card with no issues. I'm kind of scared to upgrade now....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have 3 different 32GB MicroSD cards -- Kingston Class 4, Patriot Class 4, and SanDisk UHS Class 10 (red/grey). I also have the Note 2 and my wife has the S3.

The problem seems to be a combination of Samsung's MicroSD slot and SanDisk's super thin MicroSD cards. Both the Patriot and Kingston 32GB MicroSD cards are noticeably thicker (almost 2x) and both fit more firmly in my Note 2' and S3's MicroSD slots.

I also have the same problem when using only the SanDisk MicroSD card in my multi-slot card reader. I get card not inserted errors as well as cyclical redundancy errors, misc write errors, etc. This card reader was not cheap and I paid good money for it because I use it for semi-pro digital photography -- I cannot have a card reader messing up my photos. I purchased my SanDisk MicrosSD card with a full sized SD adapter (just because that's the one that was the best deal). Guess what -- the SanDisk MicroSD card formats, reads, and writes perfectly fine when using the full sized SD adapter in the same card reader. Neither the Patriot nor Kingston MicroSD cards will fit in the SanDisk full-sized SD adapter, so clearly this SD adapter's slot is specifically designed for the significantly thinner SanDisk MicroSD cards.

So, I think the problem is that SanDisk made their newer MicroSD cards too thin, so they're not making constant, proper contact inside Samsung's card slots (and my card reader). My Acer A500 tablet has a better designed card slot so (at least so far) the SanDisk MicroSD card isn't giving me any problems in it. Likewise, my Patriot Class 4 card that's now in my Note 2 is not exhibiting any of these problems because it's a thicker card so my Note 2 (so far) seems happier with it.

Anyway, that's my current theory. I wonder if there are any other memory manufacturers who thinning up their card designs? So far, it's just been SanDisk that I've encountered this. Seems like most of the people here on this thread are also having problems with just the SanDisk cards.
    Hope this helps, but I've used many different brands of miniSD cards and particularly with SanDisk brand, it is best to just put it straight into your phone without reformatting. I have the Note 2, SIII and my wife the SIII. Both SIII's are using the same SanDisk 64GB Class 10 card.

With my phone I put the SanDisk straight into my phone without reformatting. However, on my wife's phone I reformatted (Fat32) on the PC and reformatted once in the phone. Her SD card started acting up.

Contrary to what many people thought including myself, I thought the cards usually all came in Fat32...however, I come to find out the SanDisk's come formatted in exFat, which was a complete SERIOUS?! moment for me. I guess the 'newestest' phones like the Note 2 are exFat friendly?

So my theory is with SanDisk, just leave it alone and put in the SD as is. (For newer phones) I can think of a hand full of reasons of why I think SanDisk's crap out if formatted, but I'll leave the speculation to rest.

Good Luck!

(btw: The best cards I've used are by far Samsung, PNY and A-Data. What they all have in common is that the chip component itself is all made in Korea. Well obviously Samsung is Korean...but I'm referring to PNY and A-Data.)

Cheers

What I have noticed is that most people having issues have a 32gig SanDisk. I am using a SanDisk 64gig (class 10) and haven't had any problems. I took the card out of the packaging and inserted it into my phone. No formatting.. I am stock/rooted with only a little bloat removed.

**EDIT**
    I forgot to mention that my sdcard was for Android Phones. It had the Android Robot on the packaging ect.
    any solutions?

Been trying follow the whole thread....

Please correct me if I missed anything ...

All these possibilities has been discussed but none concluded to be the root issue

- SD card (Sandisk, Kingston, PE etc) manufacturer problem
    - Loose micro ribbon/adapter connecting SD card
    - Samsung Android screen wake up (code issue)
    - Internal Android issue
    - Depending on type of files stored
    - Digital Rights Management

I am beginning to think that that this is Google, Dropbox, Samsung and all the other Big Player's master plan to force us to use their 'CLOUD' vs external storage.

Possible Fix(s)

*All of which either does not work or miraculously worked for some*

- Insert folded paper with SD card (making it tighter to hold)
    - switch on protect SD card under developer options
    - settings > storage > Unmount card and mount it back on
    - Format card
    - Change to FAT32/ExFat
    - Factory reset phone
    - Restart phone
    - Throw phone on the floor and stomp on it
    - Burn it and watch it depart to hell
    - Call Samsung 1-800 and hear them bulls**t you saying it's not my problem, I've already made my money
    - Call Google and get no response
    - Vent on XDA and get no replies

Above all choose Peace and Love and sleep peacefully like a baby!
    I'm just gonna throw this out there... It kinda seems like the latest Samsung phones are happily corrupting SD cards right and left. Now, maybe some cards are more susceptible to this, but the fact remains that this is not just anecdotal anymore. We need to get the various phone groups that are seeing this issue to band together and contact Samsung for a fix.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
    Mine worked fine for a while, too. I'm not sure what triggered it, but I think the phone did something to it. The reason I think this is simple. I have had many devices with SD cards in them, and never have I had one go bad. This phone was using a card that I had used for months before in another phone, and within a month the card was bad. When I looked online, I found hundreds of cases of the same issue, mostly with Samsung S3 and GN2 phones. It seems too much to be a coincidence.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app