New Forums on XDA?

Search This thread

obscure.detour

Apr 20, 2010

Again; + 1 for Lenovo

How come the people dont see the potential this tablet has? Are we all just sheeps who want a tablet for consuming only? Time to wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant link outside so just google for these words

seton hall + university + 400 + lenovo + tablets

+1 for a new forum for Lenovo Thinkpad Android Tablet

Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet +1.

You need to create a forum before we can do any developing. Where are we going to post our progress, on the Jetstream forum? That will go over well. You're driving away traffic and development related to this device if you don't embrace this! Look I've worked with development on the HTC Evo 4g and decided to go with the Thinkpad Tablet because of many reasons the previous poster said. There is a lot of potential for this device and XDA has good exposure to a large group of developers (whether beginners, experienced, whatever) so naturally many people would want a forum here. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to create a forum, stop driving people away and finally give us some XDA love! The whole bullcrap excuse that it's mostly HTC devices is crap. All the other tablets from major manufacturers have forums. Lenovo is a major manufacturer. Perhaps you should take a little time to read up about this tablet. It is not without its flaws, but that's the whole point of development. Thank you for your time!

Thank you all for your support, but this IS NOT the thread to post your request/support for said device. Please place your requests in this proper thread.

clapping.gif
Now see this is the type of info that is good when requesting a thread for a device. Just posting that you want a forum to attract developers is just not gonna do it. Yes some devices get forums right off the bat, mostly due to development being a given. Then you have those devices that not many people will get or use. For those devices having info like this makes your request stronger.

As for me having a soft side or giving a crap so to speak. I have no problem with people being new to modding. Hell I was new once to. Knew nothing of modding a phone. Only basic PC skills. What i do have an issue with is those that are not willing to put the work into what they are doing. I have seen too many people come to XDA expecting everything to be handed to them on a silver platter and that is just not what is done here. This site is for people that are currently developing for a device they currently have or are working on, to come and share the work they have done and get help with any bugs they have come across. Most development comes from someone wanting something on the device so they go about making it happen. Not for fame or money but for themselves, next thing you know you have SU, Modded recovery, Roms and all the goodies we all like in our Android Devices. and from your links it seems some have taken it upon themselves to make their devices better. Which anyone can do. Yes it takes alot of work, but you have a better a chance of getting the forum you want by coming with a request like this with shown ongoing work, working developments like SU or a modded recovery. Not just saying people think its a good device.

As for bashing the device. I didnt mean to come across like it was a bad device as I am sure its not. I just dont keep track of every tablet that comes out as they are updated far too often with the way speed hardware and software alike are improving. I mean think about it, by next summer we really could be at a place where a quadcore processor is the standard in mobile devices, making everything before them almost pointless. Not saying they still wont be good devices.

Now you have made many valid points and made your case. I am not in control of what forums get added and what dont. The admins are in control of that and when they see enough evidence that they are satisfied with they may or may not make a dedicated forum for this device.

One doesnt need a dedicated forum on one website to help development of said device. I will from now on keep a closer eye on this device to see what comes of it.

Thank you for your kinder words :) It is good to know that a little time spent doing some research and showing that some are willing to put in their time and effort for not only themselves but for everyone who shares the same idea.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ZTE Blade coming shortly. Thanks for the requests.
    EDIT: Proper Forum Request Thread

If you look back in XDA history you will see the non HTC devices is new. XDA has always been mostly an HTC based site as they work with developers. We have been adding non HTC devices slowly. A hundred requests on a forum of over 4 million is not alot. Now for the part about the biggest joke. I never even heard of this pad before and outside of this thread I don't think I ever will again.

Your right xda is not the only source. Hell all the info needed to start developing for the tab is available to any and all that want to mod the tablet

You know, while you make a pretty valid point, I find the hostility unnecessary. And yes, XDA in the past has been essentially a HTC forum from the start. But with the rise of Android, the site has grown exponentially, hence your hatred towards the average-non-dev forum user. I know your pain, I've seen it first hand. They do not provide any help whatsoever to developers, simply stating "feature xxx is borked" without logs or any supporting information.

I get the frustration, but to attack a device, and various people on this thread for throwing their support of it is kind of childish and utterly ridiculous, don't you think? And to say you've never heard of the device and never will again? Close-minded, maybe? Don't get out much? I dunno. Gizmodo, Engadget have been mentioning it for the last 6 months since it's announcement. Even, Arstechnica wrote a brief and underwhelming review of it.

First of all, I'll state that it is the only tablet to date that:
    1. Fully supports a digitized pen, not a 3rd party addon stylus
    2. Fully supports a full-sized USB port, that allows 3rd party connectivity, e.g, mouse, keyboard, portable hdd, etc..
    3. And IMHO the only tablet with real productivity use and potential

Secondly, you want some sort of proof of developers and/or support for the device that you've bashed and the people that have taken the time to post (understandably some not in the most positive words). You've already disregarded the original request thread that has over 10k of views and 135 replies, albeit in the wrong section and understandably underwhelming, etc. Yet I still feel obligated to prove you wrong :p

Several applications and modifications have sprouted since the release of the TPT.

Root/SU progress - dedicated users attempting to root and/or achieve root/superuser access.
    Modification - dedicated users found out how to add a 3G radio to their WiFi only device.
    Quill - an app developed solely by a TPT owner.
    WritePad Stylus - an app originally developed for all Android tablets that has grown exponentially due to the release of the TPT.

Now, before you become agitated by my response and feel the need to lash out. I'll state, that I am not attacking you, but simply and relatively kindly expressing concern and enlightenment in an area of knowledge I feel you're lacking in, namely, for a device as wonderful as this tablet, a device that has true productivity potential (like a laptop or even more!). I would also like to point out that I believe the majority of the people here have come for a simple and unified purpose. And that purpose is to join; and to put it in your own words, "[...] a place to come to learn and share your knowledge [...]".

Surely, you cannot hold that against us. And to point out that I completely agree with you that, "If you are not here for those reasons then you are here for the wrong ones." I also understand that you probably don't give a ****, but maybe, just maybe there is a compassionate side to you. Maybe that side could understand our point of view, that we really just desire a central place to join and share the the knowledge we gain and pass on to others for a device that we own and care about.

Cheers

EDIT: Proper Forum Request Thread
    please

some off the HUAWEI DEVICES
    U8120 aka VODAFONE845 :cool:
    U8100 Huawei
    U8110 Tmobile Pulse mini
    U8150 IDEOS
    U8220 Pulse
    Hwuaei U8150 aka Vodafone IDEOS aka T-Mobile Comet.

Are 200+ requests enough? ;)
    IT would be nice to respond or make some update to first post on considered - to be considered or not to be consuidered devices .

Is any MOD reading HeRe ? :confused:

BTW again Huawei FORUM pls . thnx