[FIX] Installed TWRP and now you're stuck after OTA?

Search This thread

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Howdy all!

Did you install TWRP and then take the OTA, now you can't get your phone to boot normally, but you do see TWRP?

Here's the easy fix:

If you have ADB access, plug in your phone and run this:

Code:
adb shell
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota of=/sdcard/fota-backup.img
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota

Then you should be able to successfully reboot your phone via the TWRP menu option, or via a simple reboot command in adb.

If you DONT have ADB access (because of an early build of TWRP), you can simply use TWRP's awesome "terminal command" option to run the following:

Code:

You'll have to type that whole thing out, and be VERY careful with spaces and punctuation. One wrong letter and you could nuke your phone.

After that finishes, you can reboot and continue on your happy way!

Let me know if this helps anyone!

As usual, I'm on #lg-g2 in Freenode as IOMonster, if I'm around I'll be happy to help wherever I can.

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
Howdy all!

Did you install TWRP and then take the OTA, now you can't get your phone to boot normally, but you do see TWRP?

Here's the easy fix:

Code:
adb shell

Then you should be able to successfully reboot your phone via the TWRP menu option, or via a simple reboot command in adb.

If you DONT have ADB access (because of an early build of TWRP), you can simply use TWRP's awesome "terminal command" option to run the following:

Code:

You'll have to type that whole thing out, and be VERY careful with spaces and punctuation. One wrong letter and you could nuke your phone.

As usual, I'm on #lg-g2 in Freenode as IOMonster, if I'm around I'll be happy to help wherever I can.

I could swear I said just nuke the FOTA partition sometime yesterday :p as usual awesome job.

jasonsf

Oct 27, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Howdy all!

Here's the easy fix:

Code:
adb shell

Code:

Thank you!! Where do I send the beer money?

Walter21026

Nov 15, 2012
San Antonio, texas
when i hit terminal command it goes to the folder browser is that supposed to happen? how do i bring up the terminal from here? my sideload isnt working like it did once earlier thats why im asking

Edit: My adb sideload def isnt working now if someone can clue me in on how to get to the terminal command in recovery im still seeing the folder browser after I touch the terminal button in recovery

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

when i hit terminal command it goes to the folder browser is that supposed to happen? how do i bring up the terminal from here? my sideload isnt working like it did once earlier thats why im asking

Edit: My adb sideload def isnt working now if someone can clue me in on how to get to the terminal command in recovery im still seeing the folder browser after I touch the terminal button in recovery

Nevermind I found it, not used terminal before in recovery, phone back up and running

Last edited:

luckysnafu

May 7, 2010
I am rooted and installed TWRP recovery but reverted back to the stock recovery before accepting the VZW OTA update. I'm now stuck in a boot loop and I can't get ADB to recognize my device when plugged in via USB. When I plug in my phone it shows the following:

Fastboot mode started
udc_start()
-reset-
-portcharge-
-reset-
-portcharge-
fastboot: processing comands

Any idea why this is happening and how I can get my phone to boot normally?

Reactions: duck from space

synplex

May 29, 2008
Miami
www.MTFX.tv

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Nevermind I found it, not used terminal before in recovery, phone back up and running

I too get the file folder. How do i get the terminal command in TWRP?

Walter21026

Nov 15, 2012
San Antonio, texas
Thanks it worked!:laugh: Should I flash stock now update via OTA then reroot and reflash TWRP??

I didn't. From what I've read its just best to flash the new TWRP and not worry about the new OTA. Besides there is nothing relevant about the OTA enough to worry about going through all the trouble of installing the OTA. Also the devs have pulled all the new update files and they will use those in their Roms

Beaumac

Aug 24, 2013
I didn't. From what I've read its just best to flash the new TWRP and not worry about the new OTA. Besides there is nothing relevant about the OTA enough to worry about going through all the trouble of installing the OTA. Also the devs have pulled all the new update files and they will use those in their Roms

Yea, let's just wait for a ROM worth flashing and "F OTA"

mzimand

Jan 29, 2010
How can we get the OTA if we have TWRP installed?
Can we falsh stock recovery and then accept the Update?

If so can someone please post the Stock Recovery IMG?

eighty1

Apr 8, 2009
Atlanta
My phone is at the LG screen and the notification light is blinking but thats it. How can I adb anything or get into twrp?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Howdy all!

Here's the easy fix:

Code:
    adb shell

Code:

What worked for me was from the TWRP terminal command was to type

then hit enter

type

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc

then hit enter and reboot.

got help from the IRC xda-devs for the second step to complete the fix.
    I too get the file folder. How do i get the terminal command in TWRP?

When you see the file folder just ignore that and hit "select "on the bottom right and that will bring it up. Just type the command from there
    Bumping this for visibility--can anyone help/fix what's up with this error message?

ZDWnsWl.jpg

not an error.

if wiping FOTA alone doesnt work just try wiping MISC as well.

adb shell

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc

reboot the phone... hope it boots.
    FOR MY FRIENDS WITH WINDOWS 8...

I tried to use this method but the driver don't recognize the phone (in device manager the phone is recognized as "other devices" with the yellow exclamation next to it), but found that manually updating the device as it is an ADB interface (I used specifically the "LGE Mobile Sooner Single ADB Interface") allowed me to use ADB. After that it worked perfectly.