[All XDA Members] Feedback/Recommendations for XDA

Search This thread

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Privacy becomes an issue. Most people don't follow best practices for their online identities, and are easier to track and hack and whatnot. It would be good to mitigate it in whatever small way possible, no? Even if they use their real names elsewhere, XDA becomes one less attack vector.
Considering people link their personal social media accounts to xda. I don't think 99% of people really care anymore.

Gone are the days of personal privacy for most. Don't get me wrong. I don't agree with this shift but I see it happening.

A perfect example is, the other day I was talking to my bosses daughter. (mid 20's) and it came up about all the traffic cameras being placed all over town and how it invades the privacy of everyday people. She responded with out missing a beat. "you know it has always been that way for me so I never really cared"

Many people have forgotten the dangers of the internet and giving your info away freely.

andy356

Jul 5, 2016
Considering people link their personal social media accounts to xda. I don't think 99% of people really care anymore.

Gone are the days of personal privacy for most. Don't get me wrong. I don't agree with this shift but I see it happening.

A perfect example is, the other day I was talking to my bosses daughter. (mid 20's) and it came up about all the traffic cameras being placed all over town and how it invades the privacy of everyday people. She responded with out missing a beat. "you know it has always been that way for me so I never really cared"

Many people have forgotten the dangers of the internet and giving your info away freely.
That's absolutely right. It's appalling, the lack of concern for privacy. Making themselves susceptible to identity theft, if we talk about that extreme. All the more reason that we do what we can from our side, right? Encouraging websites to use HTTPS, using authentication tokens instead of weak repeated passwords, all done with the user's best interests in mind.

I see discouraging real names in the same vein.

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
Just thinking out loud, but it would be nice to have a grouping (or rather linking) of sorts, for same mods across devices.

For example, mods such as MultiROM (I'm sure the same applies to efidroid and DualPatcher), tend to be device specific builds, and as such only belong within their own devices' section... that makes perfect sense.

Yet, some / much of the core development is non device specific, it can be done by 1 person on 1 particular device, but at the end applies to all devices, much of that "never comes back home".
The same errors, fixes, code, etc. is currently spread around various device specific forums, and keeping track is very difficult.

It would be nice to have a way, to view similar/same threads in one list.
Unlike the threads in the "XDA Community Apps Forum" which are cross device applications / modifications, this would rather be a "filter / group / sort".

Another example that comes to mind is TWRP, now just imagine someone knows what that elusive error 255 during a restore *could be*, but never actually sees those posts, because he's not looking outside his device (or similar) section.

Reactions: BitOBSessiOn

Snowby123

May 15, 2015
Here is an idea on how to improve the website. Some of the ads that pop up are ginormous and make the site unusable. If you don't want me using an adblocker then convince the advertisers to make the ads just a bit less disruptive.

eagleeyetom

Retired Senior Mod & DC Lead - Active Pole Dancer
Jan 22, 2011
Gdańsk
xda-developers.com
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Here is an idea on how to improve the website. Some of the ads that pop up are ginormous and make the site unusable. If you don't want me using an adblocker then convince the advertisers to make the ads just a bit less disruptive.

Please use this thread to report such ads.

nyuszika7h

Jun 14, 2014
I noticed that if JavaScript from disqus.com is blocked, every post simply displays "0 Comments" with no indication that you need to enable JS to see them.

I noticed that if JavaScript from disqus.com is blocked, every post simply displays "0 Comments" with no indication that you need to enable JS to see them.
Is this happening to you when using your Android or PC?

×MY DEVELOPMENTS×
[APP][TOOL][4.2+]The SELinux Toggler
[ZIP][TOOL][AIO]BusyBox Stericson Binary Installer v1.26.2 {BB/TB Auto-Symlink}
×IN DEVELOPMENT×
[APP][TOOL][4.2+][OFFICIAL]The SELinux Switch
Will Supersede "The SELinux Toggler"
[APP][UNOFFICIAL][4.2+]XDA Forum Classic
[APP][UNOFFICIAL][4.2+]XDA Reader Classic

Okay... It's a known issue with the Android browser but, I've never had an issue on the PC.

Do you have the latest Shockwave and Flash installed to?

There's 3 things i have to install and keep up to date on my PC... The latest Java, Adobe Shockwave and Adobe Flash.

×MY DEVELOPMENTS×
[APP][TOOL][4.2+]The SELinux Toggler
[ZIP][TOOL][AIO]BusyBox Stericson Binary Installer v1.26.2 {BB/TB Auto-Symlink}
×IN DEVELOPMENT×
[APP][TOOL][4.2+][OFFICIAL]The SELinux Switch
Will Supersede "The SELinux Toggler"
[APP][UNOFFICIAL][4.2+]XDA Forum Classic
[APP][UNOFFICIAL][4.2+]XDA Reader Classic

dmcgregor

Dec 2, 2014
An option to autosave forum post drafts would be nice. I've lost a number of long posts that I've tried to draft because I get signed out while drafting and (unlike other sites) going back to the page does not retain the draft. Once I click on the post quick reply if I'm logged out whatever I was writing seems to be lost forever. (I know I should click on the remember me box, but I never seem to remember to)

nyuszika7h

Jun 14, 2014
Okay... It's a known issue with the Android browser but, I've never had an issue on the PC.

Do you have the latest Shockwave and Flash installed to?

There's 3 things i have to install and keep up to date on my PC... The latest Java, Adobe Shockwave and Adobe Flash.

I have Flash and Java, but not Shockwave (Who still uses that? Although confusingly Adobe Flash Player is called "Shockwave Flash"...). But that's irrelevant to the issue. Like I said, for a "normal" user it's not an issue because they're going to have JavaScript enabled. I have JavaScript disabled for all sites by default in uBlock Origin. I have no problem with whitelisting Disqus, but the site should display a message telling you that the comments couldn't be loaded, instead of simply pretending there's no comments.

eagleeyetom

Jan 22, 2011
Gdańsk
xda-developers.com
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4

plaseo

Mar 2, 2011
AMP Articles

The AMP articles are always cutting text off on the right side.
Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm using a Pixel running Chrome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170916-163032.jpg
    Screenshot_20170916-163032.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: sd_shadow

eagleeyetom

Jan 22, 2011
Gdańsk
xda-developers.com
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Hello,
This does not work, I am unable to zoom in or out on the articles. Also alot of the time the comments get cut off at the bottom, in this screenshot this is as far down as the page will let me go. Sometimes even more of the comments get cut off.
What is your device and screen resolution? I just checked on mine and Xda's AMP article looked just fine.

Reactions: Sachin

plaseo

Mar 2, 2011
What is your device and screen resolution? I just checked on mine and Xda's AMP article looked just fine.

Hello,
Pixel, 1920x1080
I found out if I enable the force zoom in Chrome's accessibility settings I can zoom out just enough the articles text doesn't cut off. Some of the comments are still getting cut off at the bottom however. It happens on some articles and others are fine. Not sure if it makes a difference but I use Feedly and open the articles I want to read directly in Chrome beta from Feedly. I'll have a shot at Chrome stable to see if maybe that fixes it.
I wish you well,
plaseo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone remember from vBulletin times, that you could add "contributers" at OP of your thread so you could maintain a thread together?

I find this feature very useful to keep alive and updated the threads especially in threads such collections/guides etc. which contain much infos/links etc. and is hard to maintain one person alone.

There is a possibility for this to come back? @MikeChannon
    This was only possible in the so-called DevDB threads. And immediately during the transition to Xenforo (actually before that when we as moderators got the chance to test the Xenforo XDA site) we recognised that "contributors" was a useful feature and we discussed this among the moderators and amnistrators. However, we very soon received the information that there's no chance to implement it under Xenforo.

EDIT: I don't remember that any collection/guide/How-to was in the DevDB format; only development threads were.
    Anyone remember from vBulletin times, that you could add "contributers" at OP of your thread so you could maintain a thread together?

I find this feature very useful to keep alive and updated the threads especially in threads such collections/guides etc. which contain much infos/links etc. and is hard to maintain one person alone.

From a technical aspect, that's been covered above.

However, the 'workaround', if you want to call it that, could simply be that someone who is willing to help gathers some of their info for you and formats it correctly so that you'd simply only need to copy/paste into your OP.
    It's obviously not quite the solution you were looking for but I'm sure, if someone is already actively helping out in your thread, you could always reach out to them via PM and ask that they assist you in this way if they have the ability/time to do so.
    You could then also manually add in a credit to them, for supporting with maintenance, in the OP (which, I vaguely remember that may have been how it worked with those DevDB threads. Ignore this part if I'm mis-remembering, as I very easily could be.).
    This was only possible in the so-called DevDB threads. And immediately during the transition to Xenforo (actually before that when we as moderators got the chance to test the Xenforo XDA site) we recognised that "contributors" was a useful feature and we discussed this among the moderators and amnistrators. However, we very soon received the information that there's no chance to implement it under Xenforo.

EDIT: I don't remember that any collection/guide/How-to was in the DevDB format; only development threads were.
    Thank you for the information Oswald.

Indeed it was only for development threads I was contributor on some of them, but I had the hope if there was a possibility for this feature to come back, to expand it to other threads too cuz I don't find a downside for this to be used globally.

However, it's sad I learnt there is no chance to be implement under Xenforo 😕

Thank you for the information Oswald.

Indeed it was only for development threads I was contributor on some of them, but I had the hope if there was a possibility for this feature to come back, to expand it to other threads too cuz I don't find a downside for this to be used globally.

However, it's sad I learnt there is no chance to be implement under Xenforo 😕
    I thought about this workaround in the past, but I don't think anyone willing to help that way in regular base. 😋

Idk for future but atm I can maintan my threads alone and work with a todo list, but it would by handy if that feature could be back. After Oswald reply I lost my hopes :/
    @Retrial Sadly not. The DevDB threads were a great feature that e.g. also offered the possibility to host the ROM's etc. directly on XDA. But as said, this is the past.

However, if you asked having your "collection threads" in mind there might be another possibility but please contact me privately in that respect - and please only if you already have specific "contributors" to your threads in mind and have coordinated if they are willing to cooperatively maintain your threads with you.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    After reading a few threads and comments from our members I thought it may be worthwhile to create a Feedback, Recommendations or Idea's thread for XDA. We want to improve our forum for developers and the normal users.

So, rather than sending a PM to a Moderator, please feel free to leave any feedback or idea's you may have to improve XDA, so we can discuss them properly, openly, with the plan to hopefully implement the ideas which are good.

It's sole purpose is to improve XDA and collect your thoughts and idea's.

We will all be monitoring this thread, and someone will hopefully reply without much delay.

Thanks

Rick
    Moderator/Developer Committee

Edits done by Clark Joseph Kent to better support XDA.
    XDA-Developers needs to be more about developers

While I see that time and users have made XDA less about development and more about user support, I think XDA has gone too far in that direction.

Developers need a place to DISCUSS development.

The "General" subforums are too overwhelmed with threads like "Post pictures of your phone", "list of threads linked from other places" and other random "general user" stuff.

The "Q&A" subforums are now a place where moderators chase newbies to. The most technical question you might find in the Q&A section these days is "I just bricked my phone, what do I do?" (Usually, the answers are either making fun of the OP or telling him/her to search.)

The "Development" subforums, which seems like a logical place to discuss development, is now reserved for people to post finish products only and beg for donations - It's the XDA version of the "app store." There's no actual "development" discussion allowed.

Here's what we don't have anymore (but desperately need):

A place where a kernel developer could start a thread discussing the pitfalls of turning off processor cores on a particular device when the device is idle. That would likely lead into a discussion on possible ways to optimize the IN/OUT code for the cores, which would actually *gasp* promote development.

A place where a person might post a "HOW TO" document describing how to modify a stock firmware for a specific device to override carrier controlled lock downs. (For example, editing the CSC for a samsung device.)

A place for development related DISCUSSION - not just a subform for "I cobbled together mods I copied from other people into a so-called ROM and will now beg you to donate to me and press my "thanks" button."

XDA promotes itself as a DEVELOPERS FORUM. The definition of "forum" is "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." Doesn't that seem to indicate that development related discussion would be encouraged here?

(continued...)

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

So, the obvious question about my post above is how do you moderate a "developers discussion" subforum?

I honestly don't see a problem with that. You make posting access to that subforum by request only. The access should be granted pretty freely but with a note reminding the user that any non-development discussions will result in loss of access to those subforums. Plain and simple. Any RD's or ERD's would automatically be given access without the need to post a request.

Only developers should moderate those subforums, as the fact is that XDA has some moderators that have no clue whatsoever what "development" is.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that XDA's ERDs would be given final say in moderating those subforums. Actually, it might be a good idea to give ERDs final say in moderating all the development related forums - including the existing so-called "development" and "original development" subforums.

I'll have one more post to discuss the current vagueness of the rules and the random enforcement of them...
    Seriously tempted to just ban the next person who talks about the 10 post rule in here. Obviously they don't read the OP and don't care. They just want to complain. Well maybe I don't care about their accounts any more and will just delete them.
    I don't read this thread for over a day and all hell breaks loose.

Unfortunately, the last few pages is not the way I intended this thread to go. Instead of being suggestings to improve XDA, it has been steered down the road of "should we have OT threads in device forums or not"

Can we try and steer away from this for a second and get back to the threads purpose with sensible suggestions. Now with all suggestions, discussion needs to take place so we can decide if the proposal is worthwhile or not. This is not us (mods & admin) ruling out your suggestions, it is us discussing your suggestion to see whether or not it would work with XDA.

I personally value all suggestions, unfortunately we can not implement them all, but we (XDA) will do our best to listen, communicate with you and move forward with suggestions which will work

Thanks
    I think every overlooks one thing - if they try to spam OT, it's easy to find and remove, and reset their accounts. Our FSMs will spot it in device forums.

I think in general we catch spammers faster in OT than elsewhere... So surely that helps, given it keeps OT clean..

Regards to OT, I think the perceived problem is one of maturity. I know most of those involved claim to be adults, but some of the pointless threads about banana and llama are frankly a waste of space... OT used to be about mature debate and humour, but now it seems dominated by a highly insular group who spend inordinate amounts of time there, which would be more productively spent getting a job, or constructively posting to help people having problems..