Should i Root?

Search This thread

Po678

Sep 13, 2012
I had my tablet for about two weeks now and am wondering if i should root it :/ . I cant find any other reason to root other than having four windows open at once and getting any apps to work with multi window. I am a little concern about warranty, so is it really worth it?

Po678

xcom923

Jul 3, 2007
Raleigh
I had my tablet for about two weeks now and am wondering if i should root it :/ . I cant find any other reason to root other than having four windows open at once and getting any apps to work with multi window. I am a little concern about warranty, so is it really worth it?

Po678

I've only had my tab for a couple days and I'd say YES. I don't use my tab in landscape that much so First I disabled the captive buttons (still able to be used with the S-Pen) I also added virtual buttons in portrait. Plus if you use setCPU and a smart cover you can dramatically increase the battery life by down clocking the tab when the screen is covered (display off) and that's just me getting started.

Reactions: rondera and clouds5

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Gesture control alone makes rooting worth it. There is no more efficient way to operate a computer device. IMHO.
Also playing every game with a controller (map touch input to buttons) is a great thing if you're a gamer. Just Google for root stuff. It's basically a whole new world.

davidzvi

Jan 19, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
considering the same thing

Pen Window / Multi Window additions and being able to uninstall Apps I know I will never use are the draws for me. There's a video out about using Odin and autorootp600mj4.tar that seems simple enough. Just wish there there was another way to get those features.

Kingo has a post on how there process won't trip the Knox but I don't see this Tab on their list.

One concern I have that I'm totally confused about is Android / firmware updates going forward. Maybe I've been reading too much. If you Root your tab will you still get Samsung Firmware/Hardware and Android/App updates? I've only had the Tab for about a week and this is really making me consider returning it for a LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition or Google Nexus 10. Even the Microsoft Surface Pro (original is currently selling for $599) and iPad are less restrictive.

Po678

Sep 13, 2012
Actually yes, I am more worried about the future updates. What if I root and trigger knox and say kitkat gets released...will I be able to update??

Sent from my SM-P605 using xda app-developers app

benni_1994

Jul 8, 2012
Friedrichshafen
Actually yes, I am more worried about the future updates. What if I root and trigger knox and say kitkat gets released...will I be able to update??

If you trip the knox counter, You will not get OTAs, but you will have two options:
1) install a custom Rom which is based on KitKat
2) flash a KitKat Firmware via Odin and root your device again ;)

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Po678

davidzvi

Jan 19, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
If you trip the knox counter, You will not get OTAs, but you will have two options:

So the KitKat firmware would be like the threads that mention:

P600UEUBMK1_P600XARBMK1_XAR
Stock-Root-De-Odex-P600UEUBMK1-2

With the difference being Odex being a single "compiled/assembled" file and DeOdex more of a to be "compiled/assembled"? I understand the (in general) Odex and DeOdex, cache, preload, sectioned apps, etc. I'm talking about the difference I see in the files/zips I download. Any chance a stock Odex ROM would have a Knox check to stop the install?

Then to root the stock I would use something like:
  • Odin 309
  • autorootp600mj4.tar.md5
  • stockrecoverymj4.tar.md5
Would I need a new version of the Auto and stock files with the new firmwares? Or are these files something seperate?

Sorry, bit of a noob on this stuff. Maybe someday it will be more device independent. I mean when I get a new PC (really when I build one,but..) I'm use to:
  1. reflect/ghost current
  2. format
  3. setup
  4. drivers
  5. SW
  6. reflect/ghost clean install

Then I can got back to stock or clean when every I want. But I don't void any warranties in the process

Final question, in this post anyway. If I root and then use something like Titanium Backup will I then have something like I'm use to on the PC? A reflect/ghost like image?

peenie

Jan 26, 2014
Root Noob questions

Hi - android noob here.

I've been an ipad/iPhone user for years and just bought the 10.1 14 mainly for using the s pen for drawing apps like Sketchbook Pro and Ink. Using the s pen to draw on this tablet is incredible. Magical! I would recommend it to any digital artist.

However: pen aside, the tablet seems very laggy, even using the Nova launcher and disabling whatever apps I can. Whenever I disable built in apps, it seems to reinstall them.

So im thinking of rooting so I can freeze all the bloatware apps and tweak other settings. But I have some questions:

What's the difference between rooting, installing a custom ROM, and flashing a stock ROM? Which should I do?

When KitKat is finally released, will it be easy to install if I’m rooted?

If I trip the Knox counter, what's the big deal? As far as I can tell it just means that I will miss the OTA updates.

So I just want this thing to run as fast as it ought to. Rooting seems like a good idea. Apologies for my noobiness!

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
Gesture control alone makes rooting worth it. There is no more efficient way to operate a computer device. IMHO.
Also playing every game with a controller (map touch input to buttons) is a great thing if you're a gamer. Just Google for root stuff. It's basically a whole new world.

what do you use for gesture control ?

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

I've only had my tab for a couple days and I'd say YES. I don't use my tab in landscape that much so First I disabled the captive buttons (still able to be used with the S-Pen) I also added virtual buttons in portrait. Plus if you use setCPU and a smart cover you can dramatically increase the battery life by down clocking the tab when the screen is covered (display off) and that's just me getting started.

setcpu is nice to increase battery cover. But I didn'tget how smart cover helps. You can shut screen with the power. Is there a difference when you use smart cover ?

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Pen Window / Multi Window additions and being able to uninstall Apps I know I will never use are the draws for me. There's a video out about using Odin and autorootp600mj4.tar that seems simple enough. Just wish there there was another way to get those features.

Kingo has a post on how there process won't trip the Knox but I don't see this Tab on their list.

what is the difference with multi window when you have root ?
And what does Knox do ?
I mean does it prevent rooting ?

xcom923

Jul 3, 2007
Raleigh
what do you use for gesture control ?

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

setcpu is nice to increase battery cover. But I didn'tget how smart cover helps. You can shut screen with the power. Is there a difference when you use smart cover ?

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

what is the difference with multi window when you have root ?
And what does Knox do ?
I mean does it prevent rooting ?

As far as the smart cover goes. I use my tablet like a book. when I'm done I close the case I'm done. you could just hit the power button but I personally just find the cover easier.

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
Hi,

With or without root, is it possible to change the multiwindow mode ? (from side-by-side to real moving windows as in the original Note 10.1)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Po678