Remove All Ads from XDA

[PROJ] UI Guidelines / Libraries for all Devs and Apps

305 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By m.schmidler, Senior Member on 29th November 2008, 09:44 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone,

I´ve got a question, it won´t get out of mind:

What about UI guidelines for ALL developers and applications ? What about a collection of graphics and tutorials so every app gets a proper interface?
Apple does this with OS X and iPhone, and as far as I know it works. So why don´t start something like this with WindowsMobile ?

I´m dreaming of some kind of Xda-Devs library which is a wiki as well as a resource for graphics and animation frameworks. If we put our talents and efforts together I think this is doable !

29th November 2008, 10:29 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
It's a nice idea, but why? You say Apple does this, but it's why we have WinMo ! Everything is different, don't want everything looking the same!
29th November 2008, 10:35 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampJT

It's a nice idea, but why? You say Apple does this, but it's why we have WinMo ! Everything is different, don't want everything looking the same!

*lol* You got that wrong, I don´t want to look everything the same. But we could increase the popularity and usability of WM immense if we could provide some kind of library.

I´m not talking about apps which are skinable. I´m talking about replacing the standard WinForms, so it looks nicer and is more fingerfriendly.

And when you say the different styles make WM unique - you wanna tell me missing usability is an argument to buy an WM phone ?!?
29th November 2008, 11:17 AM |#4  
Flag Cape Town
Thanks Meter: 710

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampJT

Actually EVERYONE does this. Gnome, KDE, Apple, Microsoft all spend lots of time and money on the research of UI Guidelines. Its brings the whole community so much close and leads to a fluint interface experience. Apple and the latest versions of KDE being a case in point. If we as a community lay down some guidlines on what works best where with Touch, Stylus and keyboard navigation we will already be one step closer to more usable devices. Being a programmer by trade I spend hours making sure that my UI is as close to what ppl are use to ATM ie: The Office 2007 UI. So many ppl are upgrading to this new look and feel. So my application needs to follow suit since it gets used withing corporate environments

Thats just my 2c. Hope its well spent
29th November 2008, 01:42 PM |#5  
Flag West Coast
Thanks Meter: 0

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.schmidler

*lol* You got that wrong, I don´t want to look everything the same. But we could increase the popularity and usability of WM immense if we could provide some kind of library.

I´m not talking about apps which are skinable. I´m talking about replacing the standard WinForms, so it looks nicer and is more fingerfriendly.

And when you say the different styles make WM unique - you wanna tell me missing usability is an argument to buy an WM phone ?!?

I was under the assumption that the desired direction, judging by all of the most popular apps on this site, was to have apps that were fully skinable and completely finger friendly (at least where it makes sense).
29th November 2008, 01:54 PM |#6  
Flag Singapore

More
Personally, i think if we follow the style like iphone of designing their apps, it would be quite boring, this forum apps would not be special anymore. However, i think there would be advantages too.
29th November 2008, 02:13 PM |#7  
Flag Cape Town
Thanks Meter: 710

More
Precisely hazeline, we should figure out what works for us and work from there. When you look at apps like Manilla 2D and TouchFlo 3D even though they are great they are lacking some basic fluincy.

Im gonna have a look over then next week and see if I can knock together something for facebook for our WinMo devices. It seems like this would a good start for me to see what I would like changed in a basic UI
29th November 2008, 02:40 PM |#8  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 127

More
removed. doh bleh
29th November 2008, 03:27 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
please remove.
29th November 2008, 03:42 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelha

Precisely hazeline, we should figure out what works for us and work from there. When you look at apps like Manilla 2D and TouchFlo 3D even though they are great they are lacking some basic fluincy.

Im gonna have a look over then next week and see if I can knock together something for facebook for our WinMo devices. It seems like this would a good start for me to see what I would like changed in a basic UI

absolutely agree. When I first saw the facebook shots I thought "wow, we need those gfx for other apps". So, any (Xperia) users in here, what about extracting those gfx for us ?

regards,
Martin
30th November 2008, 02:38 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
I noticed Microsoft released some sort of guide for developers a few days ago, you can find it here: http://www.codeplex.com/AppArch/Rele...eleaseId=19798

I also tried to copy the Facebook-Panel style, don´t criticise me, I just did this in a couple of minutes, if I put some efforts in this it would look definetely better

Although this thread isn´t that crowded I still hope this becomes a big community project, it IS possible, there are some many talented people in here !

regards,
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ui_test.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	133898  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)