[Q] Is the Note 8 worth the money now?

Search This thread

ArobeeTV

Feb 14, 2014
Regina
So, basically, I'm in the process of quitting smoking. As a "congratulations" type gift, my parents are purchasing me a tablet. I'm stuck choosing between the Nexus 7 (2013) and the Galaxy Note 8.0 right now. I already know the Nexus is worth the money, but I like the features and such on the Note.

If you saw my other thread asking about ROMs for a Note, that was part of trying to make my decision. Now that I've seen that I can keep the functionality, gain some more, and improve performance, I have to decide if it's going to be it or the Nexus.

At $330, is the Galaxy Note 8.0 worth the money at this point in its life cycle? Please try to avoid just straight yes or no answers, I would love you to elaborate. I know it also depends what I'm using it for, so just assume that I like to draw, am not fantastic at it but it's a fun hobby, and I would make use of the office suite included.

nrage23

I had the Note 8.0 and the Nexus 7 2013. The Note 8.0 has much ore functionality and a MicroSD slot. The Nexus has the better screen. They are similar speed wise. Best Buy has the Note 8.0 for $299 right now. I assume because the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 launched last week. I like Multiwindow of the Note also.

Reactions: ArobeeTV

ArobeeTV

Feb 14, 2014
Regina
I had the Note 8.0 and the Nexus 7 2013. The Note 8.0 has much ore functionality and a MicroSD slot. The Nexus has the better screen. They are similar speed wise. Best Buy has the Note 8.0 for $299 right now. I assume because the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 launched last week. I like Multiwindow of the Note also.

Thanks very much for your input. At Best Buy here, the Note 8.0 is $330, but I'm Canadian so that's just the crappy exchange rate.

I've done extensive reading on both of these tablets, and that's something that really stood out, just how much more functionality the Note has over the Nexus. The SD card slot is a huge thing, too. Being able to spend $40 and slap a 64gb class 10 MicroSD card in it would be nice. Speed wise, I heard TouchWiz can be laggy, get hung up here and there, but that custom ROMs fix that with improved performance, removing some bloatware, etc.

As it stands, I'm still slightly on the fence between the two, but I'm leaning toward the Note. I figure I don't need to make this thread in the Nexus forums, because I already know the Nexus is worth the money (minus that there's no SD card slot) and it's got its own advantages. I'm glad the Note 8.0 community is willing to give me some insight :)

Spookymonster

Jun 12, 2010
Amazon has refurbished models for $250US.

IMHO, the only reason to chose a Note 8.0 over a Nexus 7 is the stylus/handwriting recognition. it's what makes the Note truly unique the 7-8" tablet range. If pen computing is 'nice, but not essential', then go with the Nexus 7. It's cheaper, a better screen, just as powerful, and slightly better battery life. The speakers suck compared to the Note, but then most people use headphones or powered speakers than listen to the tablet 'naked'.

ArobeeTV

Feb 14, 2014
Regina

IMHO, the only reason to chose a Note 8.0 over a Nexus 7 is the stylus/handwriting recognition. it's what makes the Note truly unique the 7-8" tablet range. If pen computing is 'nice, but not essential', then go with the Nexus 7. It's cheaper, a better screen, just as powerful, and slightly better battery life. The speakers suck compared to the Note, but then most people use headphones or powered speakers than listen to the tablet 'naked'.

Thanks muchly for your input! From what I've heard, the speakers on the Note 8.0 are pretty crap, very tinny. That's not much of a concern though because, as you said, headphones or external speakers are what I'd be using when I'm using it for movies or music.

For me, the advantages from the stylus are that I can use it to draw, to learn to draw because kindergarten kids probably do better work lol, and various small functions like improved web browsing and such. I've also got a thing for teaching myself random things because... well... I'm a nerd lol, so the S pen will be good for general stylus uses in that regard as well, like highlighting, etc.

Now, one thing I've noticed is people talk so much about how the Nexus 7 has a much better display and that text is hard to read on the Note 8.0. However... if you look at reviews from before the Nexus 7 or iPad Mini Retina came out, you see everybody saying how nice the display looks and how easy it is to read all sizes of text. To me, that says that focusing on the resolution and the PPI is more a marketing scheme than anything. Don't get me wrong, the Nexus 7 and iPad Mini Retina DO have sharper screens, the numbers don't lie, but the people talking about those numbers tend to exaggerate just how much a difference it is.

ronjr123

Dec 9, 2010
I have the note and my wife has the nexus. I much prefer my note over hers. The extra inch of screen males a huge difference. I also use the pen a lot at work highlighting material, writing logs but mostly writing on pictures.

The resolution on the nexus is better but the functionality of the pen makes this the tablet to have IMHO.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Well I paid half price before Christmas for a new boxed 5110 and in January half price for a new boxed SGH-i467. Could not touch those deals with any other product that is like the Note 8.0. Though there is not many like it to choose from.

ArobeeTV

Feb 14, 2014
Regina
Well, it's decided! You've all helped me solidify my thoughts about the Note 8.0, I'm not just crazy and making myself think it's good. That's what I'm getting then! I'll just have to figure out how to get updates manually, since in Canada we don't seem to get them very fast. From what I've heard, we don't even have 4.2.2 available for OTA updates here.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
If I were buying a tablet now, I'd highly consider the Tab Pro 8.4, which was just released in the US yesterday for $399.

It looks to be everything the Note 8 is, except with a much nicer screen and an updated processor; but no pen. Although personally, I found I don't even use the pen on the N8.

The N8 is a great tablet, and I use it every day, sometimes for hours. But its getting close to last gen specs, having been released April 2013. And I typically don't recommend buying last gen technology.

ArobeeTV

Feb 14, 2014
Regina
If I were buying a tablet now, I'd highly consider the Tab Pro 8.4, which was just released in the US yesterday for $399.

It looks to be everything the Note 8 is, except with a much nicer screen and an updated processor; but no pen. Although personally, I found I don't even use the pen on the N8.

The N8 is a great tablet, and I use it every day, sometimes for hours. But its getting close to last gen specs, having been released April 2013. And I typically don't recommend buying last gen technology.

I would certainly consider the Tab Pro 8.4, but my problem is price. I'm stuck with a firm $350 price limit (tax not included), and it's unfortunate because an extra $50 would open up my options immensely, but beggars can't be choosers right?

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I would certainly consider the Tab Pro 8.4, but my problem is price. I'm stuck with a firm $350 price limit (tax not included), and it's unfortunate because an extra $50 would open up my options immensely, but beggars can't be choosers right?

You should have quit smoking earlier, then you would have plenty of money (those things are expensive!!!).

But seriously, I realize everyone has different budget requirements (one of the main reasons your question "is the N8 worth the money" is ultimately a decision only you can make). But to me, an extra $100 to get the new generation hardware (versus something almost a year old), is a bargain. Although if you think you will use the pen, that is obviously a consideration as well.

ArobeeTV

Feb 14, 2014
Regina
You should have quit smoking earlier, then you would have plenty of money (those things are expensive!!!).

But seriously, I realize everyone has different budget requirements (one of the main reasons your question "is the N8 worth the money" is ultimately a decision only you can make). But to me, an extra $100 to get the new generation hardware (versus something almost a year old), is a bargain. Although if you think you will use the pen, that is obviously a consideration as well.

Fair point. I appreciate the input! :D

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
Like nrage, I had both at the holidays. First I had the new Nexus 7 lte, and I was wondering what I might be missing with the note 8, so I bought one of them and compared. I kept the Note 8 simply due to the larger screen, and the sd card slot. I figured, I can always tether for data, and I didn't see much difference in the screens side by side, or the audio side by side.

Also, the Note 8 will be getting kitkat 4.4.

ArobeeTV

Feb 14, 2014
Regina
Like nrage, I had both at the holidays. First I had the new Nexus 7 lte, and I was wondering what I might be missing with the note 8, so I bought one of them and compared. I kept the Note 8 simply due to the larger screen, and the sd card slot. I figured, I can always tether for data, and I didn't see much difference in the screens side by side, or the audio side by side.

Also, the Note 8 will be getting kitkat 4.4.

I was kind of having the same thoughts. I recently saw a Note 8.0 and a Nexus 7 in a local computer store, and the screens aren't that different in quality. In fact, I liked the Note screen better, because it was bigger and more accurate with colors, and still very clear. The SD card slot is a big thing too, that's for sure. As for the Note 8.0 getting KitKat, that's a good thing I suppose. I don't know that it'll improve it much, or how long it'll take before we get it in Canada (we still don't have 4.2.2 on Note 8.0 here, I believe), but one can hope.

evolishesh

Oct 10, 2010
I wish you woud have posted this back in August. I bought my note 8 from staples for $240 with tax and be honest the note 8 is going to updated to kitkat soon.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ArobeeTV

Feb 14, 2014
Regina
I wish you woud have posted this back in August. I bought my note 8 from staples for $240 with tax and be honest the note 8 is going to updated to kitkat soon.

$240? I wish. For some reason, everybody appears to have RAISED their price on it today. From a business standpoint, that doesn't make sense.

evolishesh

Oct 10, 2010
$240? I wish. For some reason, everybody appears to have RAISED their price on it today. From a business standpoint, that doesn't make sense.

Trust me. They had it for $299-75 dollars coupon, plus taxes. It all came out to $240.

biggiebro

Jun 2, 2009
For someone who just bought this note yesterday l will say it is worth the money as there are no other Comparable tablet you can find and left for a hander the handwriting recognition is superb.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

ArobeeTV

Feb 14, 2014
Regina
For someone who just bought this note yesterday l will say it is worth the money as there are no other Comparable tablet you can find and left for a hander the handwriting recognition is superb.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

Thanks muchly for the input! I've been wondering about that handwriting recognition thing, even though I probably won't use it that much. In case I do end up using that feature, it's good to know it works well!

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
@ ArobeeTV- I forgot!!!!! A huge :highfive: and congratulations on quitting smoking. You won't be sorry:victory: Since your parents are buying your tablet, I will assume you are young enough to be able to heal all your lung tissue and have a healthy life!

My mom smoked her whole life. I fought with her to quit since I was 16. She died of a heart attack. Lung cancer doesn't always get you. For her it was periph. artery disease- she couldn't walk more than 20 feet at once, and emphysema, and a clogged heart that got her in the end. Very poor quality of life for her last 10 years. :crying: I am a nurse and witnessed an autopsy of a smoker with lung cancer. Very ugly.

OK. I'm done with my speech!:p

Please keep up the good work and be healthy while you use your shiny new tablet!! ;) Whatever one you choose.:eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am much older, and have quit smoking 13 yrs ago, the day i submitted my phd thesis as at that time i was a 2 pack a day smoker.

Note 8 is a great device, in fact i searched everywhere for anything similar but cannot find. I buy it to annotate my student assignment. Hope to start them next week, still getting used to it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I have the note and my wife has the nexus. I much prefer my note over hers. The extra inch of screen males a huge difference. I also use the pen a lot at work highlighting material, writing logs but mostly writing on pictures.

The resolution on the nexus is better but the functionality of the pen makes this the tablet to have IMHO.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Well I paid half price before Christmas for a new boxed 5110 and in January half price for a new boxed SGH-i467. Could not touch those deals with any other product that is like the Note 8.0. Though there is not many like it to choose from.