FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Kitkat][Nightlies] CM11 Android 4.4 for the Defy(+)

1,318 posts
Thanks Meter: 18,840

Post Reply Email Thread
7th November 2013, 09:40 PM |#101  
Flag Bogotá, Colombia, Colombia
Thanks Meter: 820

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarx

No calls? It works for me...

For me doesn't work either. I assume because lack of baseband switcher (I'm at Colombia)... Will flash last baseband switcher manually and come back with a more extensive report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blechd0se

Since the question might come up again, here is a short summary;

What is ART and what does it mean?

ART is short for Android Runtime and a new feature in 4.4. The goal is to flip someday the switch from Dalvik to ART.
It's enabled this early, so hardware partners and interested developers can google provide feedback about it.
So nothing for the normal user.

At the moment, Android uses the virtual machine Dalvik. A Android Application is written in Java. Dalvik translates java code
into machine readable code at runtime, not compile time. So Dalvik is a interpreter for pre-compiled code from developers (sounds funny, doesn't it).
It uses a JIT (Just-in-Time) Compiler, to compile the code at runtime.
ART, however, has a different approach and that's why its so interesting. Instead of JIT it uses a AOT (Ahead of time) Compiler.
This means, the app will be translated into machine code when you install it, not when you actually launch it.
That's a big performance boost. It makes the application native. Since it will be used for nearly everything, this means a boost for everything (UI, Apps, calculations, ...) and a more efficient CPU Managment (longer battery life, while increasing performance).
Its nothing inside the kernel, it communicates with the kernel, like other parts of the OS.

So what are the disadvantages?
It needs more space, usually machine code is bigger than bytecode.
It needs to compile as soon as you flip the switch in developer settings and depending on your system configuration,
this might take a while and can cause problems.

I hope this explains the new and shiny ART a little bit, feel free to correct me, all in all i like the move from Google here

Nope... This is pretty much a Global Description about Android RunTime (ART)... Let's search about technical docs about this to understand how it really works and what pre-requisites are needed. Personally, i don't think ART would be "kernel-dependant" because this same erratic behaviour happens on my N7 with stock kernel, but we need technical docs about to know properly.

EDIT 1: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html

Quote:

You can dual boot from Developer options if both are installed.)

The dalvikvm command line tool can run with either of them now. See runtime_common.mk. That is included from build/target/product/runtime_libdvm.mk or build/target/product/runtime_libdvm.mk or both.

A new PRODUCT_RUNTIMES variable controls which runtimes are included in a build. Include it within either build/target/product/core_minimal.mk or build/target/product/core_base.mk.

Add this to the device makefile to have both runtimes built and installed, with Dalvik as the default:
PRODUCT_RUNTIMES := runtime_libdvm_default
PRODUCT_RUNTIMES += runtime_libart

7th November 2013, 09:58 PM |#102  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
green led off after put usb on pc.

gapps for me not work and can't install any apk

for other love this rom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gianluca85 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gianluca85 Ad-Free
7th November 2013, 10:16 PM |#103  
Thanks Meter: 134

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarx

No calls? It works for me...

Calls are working...... but very quiet..

(aslong as you don´t install gapps & delete ChromeBookmarksSyncadapter in system/app ---this breaks the phone app ) im not sure about this

backed up apps can be restored via adb(qtbadb)
7th November 2013, 10:18 PM |#104  
Flag Herne
Thanks Meter: 327

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianluca85

green led off after put usb on pc.

After reboot led is back :P
But thanks

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk 2
7th November 2013, 10:24 PM |#105  
Thanks Meter: 199

More
Info 2 tested a bit
here in germany mobile data works, camera works (green lens, even faster than on cm10.x and before!), calling also works

but wifi doesn't.. and app installing doesn't work either (parsing error as mentioned by others above)

all in all a awesome build for a second one as everytimes thank you a lot quarx!
8th November 2013, 12:34 AM |#106  
Flag San Luis
Thanks Meter: 642

Donate to Me
More
A bit off but check the Portal news Defy Rocks
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to mato_d007 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mato_d007 Ad-Free
8th November 2013, 02:15 AM |#107  
Thanks Meter: 780

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by espaciosalter20

For me doesn't work either. I assume because lack of baseband switcher (I'm at Colombia)... Will flash last baseband switcher manually and come back with a more extensive report.

Nope... This is pretty much a Global Description about Android RunTime (ART)... Let's search about technical docs about this to understand how it really works and what pre-requisites are needed. Personally, i don't think ART would be "kernel-dependant" because this same erratic behaviour happens on my N7 with stock kernel, but we need technical docs about to know properly.

EDIT 1: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html

My signature has a dedicated thread for dalvic and art runtimes. I plan to maintain the thread as more development happens and as we gain more knowledge/documentation on it. Feel free to post anything to the thread and I will update the OP if its new. I did it so there isn't a runtime discussion in every new kernel and rom thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeppacher For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aeppacher Ad-Free
8th November 2013, 02:27 AM |#108  
Thanks Meter: 2,755

More
Here you go
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...motorola-defy/

EDIT: Oops I'm a bit late to the party it seems, by around 3 pages @_@
8th November 2013, 06:29 AM |#109  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
There is a workaround for apks: copy them to /data/app using the CM File Manager with Root enabled. Then reboot if needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to nastys For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nastys Ad-Free
8th November 2013, 07:47 AM |#111  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 56

Donate to Me
More
CAUTION!

Was on Alpha build
downloaded update-recovery.zip
flash
>>> black screen
had to do sbf flash

I assume I don't flash the zip if already on alpha. Saw <0711 and didn't see only for CM10
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
baseband switcher, led, quarx for world emperor, quarx is still a god

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)