FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Kitkat][Nightlies] CM11 Android 4.4 for the Defy(+)

1,318 posts
Thanks Meter: 18,840

Post Reply Email Thread
22nd November 2013, 05:29 PM |#501  
Thanks Meter: 2,755

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherForumUser

Is the phone visible to adb? This 'used to work' but now that I look around the filesystem I notice that the bootmenu binary has been moved to /system/bin/bootmenu from its original location in (/system/bootmenu/binary). This is the actual bootmenu binary as can be seen by running it from a shell. Either the wipe script needs to be adjusted to keep that binary (and who knows else what has been moved, have a look at the original 2nd-init apk to see what the binary directory contained) or - probably more logical - the bootmenu binary should be put back where it was.

Nope wasn't visible in adb. Thing is testing this will take way too long, restoring an sbf, sndinit etc each time or else I would have tried it myself by now.

Those have been moved from moto_mb526 to the moto_jordan-common repo, see here and here. If everything in the "common_ota_from_target_files" under '#bootmenu' is all that is needed then the bootmenu binary and 'logwrapper" is probably all that's needed I hope. What should your script be now, to include these? I have no clue about scripting

But I will also test (tomorrow though) moving it back to /system/bootmenu/binary. In that case quarx needs to modify it in his repo too, in the file I mentioned above.
The Following User Says Thank You to TJKV For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TJKV Ad-Free

22nd November 2013, 05:34 PM |#502  
Thanks Meter: 134

More
Let's say to TWRP people to implement a save system wipe mod...

Sent from my ...no need Tod know
22nd November 2013, 06:24 PM |#503  
Thanks Meter: 1,654

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJKV

Nope wasn't visible in adb. Thing is testing this will take way too long, restoring an sbf, sndinit etc each time or else I would have tried it myself by now.

Those have been moved from moto_mb526 to the moto_jordan-common repo, see here and here. If everything in the "common_ota_from_target_files" under '#bootmenu' is all that is needed then the bootmenu binary and 'logwrapper" is probably all that's needed I hope. What should your script be now, to include these? I have no clue about scripting

But I will also test (tomorrow though) moving it back to /system/bootmenu/binary. In that case quarx needs to modify it in his repo too, in the file I mentioned above.

It might be sufficient to copy the bootmenu binary to /system/bootmenu/binary and link logwrapper to logwrapper.bin (as it is in /system/bin). The scripts in /system/bootmenu/script give some idea on the way bootmenu is started, it might be necessary to add /system/bootmenu/binary to the path (in /system/bootmenu/script/_config.sh).

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone101

Let's say to TWRP people to implement a save system wipe mod...

TWRP is made for many devices, most of which don't suffer from the locked bootloader problem and thus can be updated through the bootloader even if TWRP (or any other bootable recovery) is not present. The TWRP people will point you right back at their documentation which tells you how to implement custom actions for those devices which need them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YetAnotherForumUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift YetAnotherForumUser Ad-Free
22nd November 2013, 07:08 PM |#504  

More
Would it be enough to keep system/bootmenu during wipe process ?

22nd November 2013, 07:20 PM |#505  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone101

Would it be enough to keep system/bootmenu during wipe process ?

As has been shown by TJKV this is no longer the case as the bootmenu binary has been migrated out of /system/bootmenu. It either should be moved back (and possibly symlinked to /system/bin just like logwrapper is linked from /system/bootmenu/binary/logwrapper.bin) or it has to be preserved.
22nd November 2013, 11:27 PM |#506  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:

The gapps cannot be any smaller than the banks core gapps without giving up core functionality.

I beg to differ. GoogleFeedback.apk, MediaUploader.apk and GoogleTTS.apk can be reduced without loosing anything but these features. Don't know what GoogleFeedback.apk is actually good for, and I personally really don't need MediaUploader.apk and GoogleTTS.apk, either.

For 4.3, that brings the (BaNkS) gapps zip file from ~17mb to ~11mb. Not huge, but at least it's something. And everything works just fine on my Nexus 4.

That said, I can#t speak for 4.4 as of yet. The Defy ROM really isn't a DD, and my Nexus 4 has a cracked screen.
23rd November 2013, 12:39 AM |#507  
Thanks Meter: 2,755

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon768

I beg to differ. GoogleFeedback.apk, MediaUploader.apk and GoogleTTS.apk can be reduced without loosing anything but these features. Don't know what GoogleFeedback.apk is actually good for, and I personally really don't need MediaUploader.apk and GoogleTTS.apk, either.

For 4.3, that brings the (BaNkS) gapps zip file from ~17mb to ~11mb. Not huge, but at least it's something. And everything works just fine on my Nexus 4.

That said, I can#t speak for 4.4 as of yet. The Defy ROM really isn't a DD, and my Nexus 4 has a cracked screen.

Well we ARE talking about 4.4 here, not 4.3. For 4.3 please have a look at my minimal gapps thread.

Sent from my MB526

---------- Post added at 06:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherForumUser

It might be sufficient to copy the bootmenu binary to /system/bootmenu/binary and link logwrapper to logwrapper.bin (as it is in /system/bin). The scripts in /system/bootmenu/script give some idea on the way bootmenu is started, it might be necessary to add /system/bootmenu/binary to the path (in /system/bootmenu/script/_config.sh).

Okay instead of that what if we don't delete the bin folder too along with bootmenu? Seems easier than modifying how the bootmenu works. I'll try manually deleting everything in system except these two and see if it boots.

EDIT: Removing everything except /system/bootmenu, /system/bin/logw*, and the bootmenu binary is sufficient, I am restoring a TWRP backup right now after rebooting
How should the wipe script look now to retain all of the above?

Sent from my MB526
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TJKV For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TJKV Ad-Free
23rd November 2013, 02:22 AM |#508  
Flag Kasaragod, Kerala, India
Thanks Meter: 19

Donate to Me
More
Angry set_metadata_xxx fails bypassing
hey guys...
take a look at this...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2532300

is this in anyway helpful to us... it says it can bypass error during kitkwt installations...
hope it does...
23rd November 2013, 10:29 AM |#509  
Flag Hebei Province
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Thumbs up Wonderful ROM!
I've tried it and it runs perfectly! MOTO Defy may be no longer survived without you.
23rd November 2013, 01:17 PM |#510  

More
Wipe script :

Something like ?

mount partition
set permission
rm -rf system/a*
rm -rf system/bin/a*
rm -rf system/bin/b*,c*.... except (l)ogwrapper
rm -rf system/c*,e*,......

It would be a long run

Sorry but I don't know a shorter way
and if it work......

23rd November 2013, 05:43 PM |#511  

More
Quote:

Well we ARE talking about 4.4 here, not 4.3. For 4.3 please have a look at my minimal gapps thread.

Sent from my MB526

---------- Post added at 06:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 AM ----------

Okay instead of that what if we don't delete the bin folder too along with bootmenu? Seems easier than modifying how the bootmenu works. I'll try manually deleting everything in system except these two and see if it boots.

EDIT: Removing everything except /system/bootmenu, /system/bin/logw*, and the bootmenu binary is sufficient, I am restoring a TWRP backup right now after rebooting
How should the wipe script look now to retain all of the above?

Sent from my MB526

Something like this should suffice:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

echo THIS WILL CLEAR THE SYSTEM PARTITION AND RENDER THE PHONE UNUSABLE
echo continue?
read answer
if [ $answer == "Y" ]; then
        mount /system && (cd /system; mv bin/bootmenu bin/logwrapper bootmenu/binary;ls|grep -v bootmenu|while read d;do rm -rf $d;done;mkdir bin;mv bootmenu/binary/bootmenu bootmenu/binary/logwrapper bin;cd /;umount /system)
fi
This preserves bin/bootmenu and bin/logwrapper (which, on my phone at least, is symlinked to bootmenu) by moving them to bootmenu/binary, executing the wipe, creating a new bin directory and moving them back. I have not tested this script but it 'should work'.

If only that silly bootloader were unlocked... it would be easy to move the whole of recovery to another partition (eg. the useless 'cdrom' partition) to make recovery available even when /system was clobbered. Maybe Snowden can give us the keys...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YetAnotherForumUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift YetAnotherForumUser Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
baseband switcher, led, quarx for world emperor, quarx is still a god

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)