Fastboot flash failed: error too many links

20 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Xeroproject, Junior Member on 3rd February 2009, 03:49 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th February 2009, 02:21 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I have also faced this error few time, what I do is disconnect the USB, restart both PC and G1, next time I get proper connection, once time I was able to resolve just by moving the ramdisk.img and kernel file from the directory, this was when I was using the fastboot -w flashall command!!

-Pramod

5th February 2009, 02:23 AM |#12  
OP Junior Member
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Might be onto something there JF, I just checked my SPL edition and I'm running the HardSPL not the EngineSPL.

Is the HardSPL not suited for this perhaps?
5th February 2009, 02:23 AM |#13  

More
for fastboot -w flashall to work you need to set the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT variable, where boot.img, recovery.img and system.img file are, on window just use the set command
set ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT=c:\<your directory where the files are>
and then run fastboot -w flashall

-Pramod
The Following User Says Thank You to pramods For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pramods Ad-Free
5th February 2009, 02:26 AM |#14  
OP Junior Member
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods

for fastboot -w flashall to work you need to set the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT variable, where boot.img, recovery.img and system.img file are, on window just use the set command
set ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT=c:\<your directory where the files are>
and then run fastboot -w flashall

-Pramod

Alright, I'm with you, just returned "error: could not load android-info.txt"
5th February 2009, 02:37 AM |#15  

More
The same directory also need to have android-info.txt file, this file just have a single entry as board=trout in it, if you don't have it create this file and then run fastboot again

-Pramod
5th February 2009, 02:47 AM |#16  
OP Junior Member
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Quote:

The same directory also need to have android-info.txt file, this file just have a single entry as board=trout in it, if you don't have it create this file and then run fastboot again

-Pramod

Alright, so I did a search on my computer to see if I had an android-info.txt I could copy over, didn't have anything (including in the android-sdk files). So I went ahead and created one and just put "board=trout" in it like you said. New error: "getvar:version-bootloader FAILED <command write failed <Too many links>>"

Progress?

btw Pramod, you're a stud, thank you for all these suggestions
5th February 2009, 03:02 AM |#17  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 52

More
[QUOTE=Xeroproject;3276598] I've noticed the too many links error will say it "failed to read" on the first attempt, after that it reverts to "failed to write"./QUOTE]

Do you mean on the first attempt after a reboot?

This makes me suspect usb issues. Do you happen to have any usb cords with a ferrite bead on them laying around that you could try?

Reboot, and then try flashing one of the splash images. They are relatively small, so if it is an issue with usb communication, there is less of a chance of it failing. Try it a couple of times.. if you can get it to work once, then I would say it's more than likely some sort of usb communication issue, bad cable, interference, etc.
5th February 2009, 03:11 AM |#18  
OP Junior Member
Flag Seattle, WA

More
[QUOTE=JesusFreke;3276726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeroproject

I've noticed the too many links error will say it "failed to read" on the first attempt, after that it reverts to "failed to write"./QUOTE]

Do you mean on the first attempt after a reboot?

This makes me suspect usb issues. Do you happen to have any usb cords with a ferrite bead on them laying around that you could try?

Reboot, and then try flashing one of the splash images. They are relatively small, so if it is an issue with usb communication, there is less of a chance of it failing. Try it a couple of times.. if you can get it to work once, then I would say it's more than likely some sort of usb communication issue, bad cable, interference, etc.

Yeah, the first attempt after a reboot.

Yeah I actually picked a ferrite bead USB cable up the other day and then I also shut off my speakers (just in case a magnet or something was causing interference). Just checking around my desk at work, I don't really have anything else that would interfere to my knowledge. We deal with high speed check scanners at work and I haven't had any issues with the images they pull (also via USB, same computer).

I'll give the image deal a whirl, I believe I have all that software for converting them already on my computer.
5th February 2009, 03:17 AM |#19  

More
Just try one more thing, creat a new directory and put all *.img files and *.txt file there and reboot your system(PC and G1[fastboot mode]) then set the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT variable and then fire the command fastboot devices , if the fastboot return the device identity then try fastboot -w flashall command

-Pramod
5th February 2009, 03:23 AM |#20  
OP Junior Member
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Quote:

Just try one more thing, creat a new directory and put all *.img files and *.txt file there and reboot your system(PC and G1[fastboot mode]) then set the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT variable and then fire the command fastboot devices , if the fastboot return the device identity then try fastboot -w flashall command

-Pramod

All *img & *txt files off the SD card you mean?
5th February 2009, 04:41 AM |#21  

More
I mean the images that you want to flash through fastboot, they are basically boot.img, recovery.img, system.img and userdata.img and android-info.txt.

Thanks,
Pramod
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
backup, fastboot, nandroid, too many links

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)