Fastboot flash failed: error too many links

20 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Xeroproject, Junior Member on 3rd February 2009, 04:49 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th February 2009, 05:41 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I mean the images that you want to flash through fastboot, they are basically boot.img, recovery.img, system.img and userdata.img and android-info.txt.

Thanks,
Pramod

8th February 2009, 06:21 AM |#22  
OP Junior Member
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Thanks for all the help guys, unfortunately I wasn't able to get things going and eventually decided to just start from square one and reload everything I could remember. Who knows what data I've lost, but I was definately losing more by not picking up & moving on.

If anybody gets a better handle on what the "too many links" error is caused by or actually means, I'd love to know if I face this again later down the road when trying to backup using fastboot.
9th February 2009, 03:42 AM |#23  

More
same problem
i was having the same problem about the error, what i did was i used the usb cable that came with the G1 (i was using before some random usb cable) and restarted my phone and computer and it worked. after restarting my G1 and computer and using the usb cable that came with the phone i finally pass the error. trust me i was scare.
15th March 2009, 07:53 AM |#24  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjq13

i was having the same problem about the error, what i did was i used the usb cable that came with the G1 (i was using before some random usb cable) and restarted my phone and computer and it worked. after restarting my G1 and computer and using the usb cable that came with the phone i finally pass the error. trust me i was scare.

i had the same problem till i used the cable that came with it to but the goofy thing about it is the cable that wouldn't work with my windows machine would work with fastboot on my linux machine weird yet another windows quirk i guess lol
2nd May 2009, 10:00 PM |#25  

More
I had the same problem, and using the usb cable that was provided together with the phone by t-mobile also fixed the problem............very strange.....
3rd May 2009, 01:59 AM |#26  
Flag alabama
Thanks Meter: 7

More
has anyone been succesful in fastbooting to a g1 with a standard mini usb cable not the extUSB htc/t-mo provides? i was under the impression the extra pins were for audio use but they may also be used for fastbooting....

just a thought, feel free to tell me to shut up
10th May 2009, 05:40 AM |#27  

More
Cool
I am having the exact same problem.
It hapened after I used ppstosd_signed.apk when I was supposed to be using apps20sd2.apk.
Sine then I have repeatedly and in this order;

reflashed the recovery image (JF1.43 Recoveryimg)
reflashed hardSPL
reflashed jfv1.5
tried to reflash my data.img but failed due to too many links
on my other computer it just hangs <waiting for device>
phone works fine and I'm running the dudes v1.1 manup bluetheme

I would really like to know how to solve this problem, rebooting is not working at all for me.

I'm using the usb cable that came with the phone
im running winxp sp3 and all my drivers are updated to android 1.5 (adb drivers for fastboot and usb drivers)
12th May 2009, 04:30 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Had this problem as well
Had this problem as well used a ferrite core on 2 cables (a random cable and the default cable) neither worked. Then I stopped using the usb ports at the front of my computer (they seemed a bit dodgy not recognizing devices etc.) and used one at the rear.

Worked immediately no reboot etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to majatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift majatt Ad-Free
4th July 2009, 04:25 PM |#29  

More
Smile usb ports
Same for me - running these tools on my laptop and kept getting the links error. Switched to a different USB port and voila! everything was fine.
20th February 2010, 12:33 AM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
solved
I had same problem, removed battery from phone, then restarted phone, tried fasboot before conecting USB cable (" it said waiting for phone"), conected cable and it worked.....

Don't know why but it did.

Hope this help's
13th April 2010, 07:16 PM |#31  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 11

More
im having the same issue as reported for a N1 in connection to a Vista Pro x32 machine. Same FAILED - too many links error.
I'll try some of the things suggested here, like different USB ports, reboot computer/N1, etc. and post results...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
backup, fastboot, nandroid, too many links

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)