870 posts
Thanks Meter: 264

By highlandsun, Inactive Recognized Developer on 20th December 2009, 07:35 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th June 2010, 06:16 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
Any chance of giving a walkthrough or a short guide on how to get this thing working?

8th June 2010, 10:50 AM |#12  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Los Angeles

Donate to Me
More
I've outlined a number of different things here, what in particular do you want a walkthru on?

Also, I've given links to email postings with example configs. Have you read those already?
8th June 2010, 10:22 PM |#13  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandsun

I've outlined a number of different things here, what in particular do you want a walkthru on?

Also, I've given links to email postings with example configs. Have you read those already?

I was just trying to set it up on my evo and drawing a blank.
9th June 2010, 01:26 PM |#14  
Flag Los Angeles

Donate to Me
More
Grab the config files I posted here

https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail...ay/089049.html

There are two - one for your server, and one to run on your phone. The way it works is you have the ffserver running on a server box with fast-enough CPU and network connectivity. You can send it any stream using any codecs that ffmpeg supports, and ffmpeg will transcode it to a dumbed-down H.264 that can play smoothly over a relatively slow network. This transcode can run at realtime or faster, it all depends on your server and what the input to ffmpeg is. This ffserver will make the data available over HTTP in FLV format.

Install the second ffserver.conf file on your phone, along with the ffserver binary I posted in this thread. You of course need to tailor the file to replace "my.server:8080" with the address and port that you're using for the ffserver on your server box. This ffserver on the phone is configured to grab the FLV over HTTP from your main server, and then re-stream over RTSP/RTP/UDP. You can play the video from your main server by opening rtsp://127.0.0.1/test.mp4 - the Meridian player makes this easy since it has an Open URL menu for this. The SeeJo player also lets you play URLs.

I don't think I can explain it any more simply than this. If you don't understand how to run ffmpeg, there's plenty of other docs on that.

If you specifically want to stream h,u,l,u videos, you'll need to grab the perl script I posted above and edit the ffmpeg command at the end of the script. The script I attached here was set up to publish a stream to the Darwin Streaming Server over rtsp. A simpler command is used to stream to ffserver.

When publishing to DSS, you have to provide all of the audio/video codec settings on the ffmpeg command line, and the stream gets pushed to rtsp://wherever/the/DSS/server/is/listening.

When publishing to ffserver, all of the audio/video codec settings are in the ffserver.conf file, so you only need to tell ffmpeg where to find its input, and send its output to http://wherever/the/ffserver/is/listening.
11th June 2010, 04:27 AM |#15  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandsun

Grab the config files I posted here

https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail...ay/089049.html

There are two - one for your server, and one to run on your phone. The way it works is you have the ffserver running on a server box with fast-enough CPU and network connectivity. You can send it any stream using any codecs that ffmpeg supports, and ffmpeg will transcode it to a dumbed-down H.264 that can play smoothly over a relatively slow network. This transcode can run at realtime or faster, it all depends on your server and what the input to ffmpeg is. This ffserver will make the data available over HTTP in FLV format.

Install the second ffserver.conf file on your phone, along with the ffserver binary I posted in this thread. You of course need to tailor the file to replace "my.server:8080" with the address and port that you're using for the ffserver on your server box. This ffserver on the phone is configured to grab the FLV over HTTP from your main server, and then re-stream over RTSP/RTP/UDP. You can play the video from your main server by opening rtsp://127.0.0.1/test.mp4 - the Meridian player makes this easy since it has an Open URL menu for this. The SeeJo player also lets you play URLs.

I don't think I can explain it any more simply than this. If you don't understand how to run ffmpeg, there's plenty of other docs on that.

If you specifically want to stream h,u,l,u videos, you'll need to grab the perl script I posted above and edit the ffmpeg command at the end of the script. The script I attached here was set up to publish a stream to the Darwin Streaming Server over rtsp. A simpler command is used to stream to ffserver.

When publishing to DSS, you have to provide all of the audio/video codec settings on the ffmpeg command line, and the stream gets pushed to rtsp://wherever/the/DSS/server/is/listening.

When publishing to ffserver, all of the audio/video codec settings are in the ffserver.conf file, so you only need to tell ffmpeg where to find its input, and send its output to http://wherever/the/ffserver/is/listening.

That's exactly what I was thinking of, thank you very much. I'll give it a shot tonight.
11th June 2010, 06:50 AM |#16  
Flag Los Angeles

Donate to Me
More
Let us know how it goes. I post stuff here and people download it, but nobody ever gives any feedback...
15th June 2010, 10:48 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks!!!
Hi there, this post was extremely helpful and saved me the hassle of trying to compile ffmpeg myself (I'm having huge issues with this).

Are you able to post the ffmpeg compiled binary for Android also? the ffserver one was exactly what I needed!
16th June 2010, 07:13 AM |#18  
Flag Los Angeles

Donate to Me
More
I didn't compile ffmpeg, I figured there's not much point in running it on a G1, the CPU is too slow to do transcoding in any reasonable amount of time.

What would you want to use it for?
17th June 2010, 02:27 AM |#19  

More
Not transcoding... Just streaming. I need to recieve and play an RTP (not RTSP stream). Unfortunately it's a bug that the current media player can _only_ recieve HTTP or RTSP streams and not straight RTP.

So my ingenious plan is:
RTP stream (pc) -> Phone FFMpeg recieve -> Sends via FFM file to localhost ffserver -> Streams via RTSP to localhost -> local mediaplayer plays RTSP stream.

No transcoding required, just straight restreaming. Unfortunately I'm having difficulties compiling ffmpeg. I think... simply as I'm not particularly skilled in this cross compiling for Android area. Other people say that ffmpeg runs fine however.

This is the only way thus far (unless you use FFMpeg to straight play the stream on Android but this is difficult and has issues I hear).
17th June 2010, 02:29 AM |#20  

More
This solution is necessary as mentioned above the inbuilt mediaplayer cannot play RTP streams (without some modifications to the opencore code which I'm not clever enough to do). Nor can I save the RTP stream to a file and play that as the mediaplayer will only play properly formed files with seek information ??? (go figure).
18th June 2010, 12:57 AM |#21  
Flag Los Angeles

Donate to Me
More
Not sure how that will work. You need an sdp file to be able to receive an RTP stream, do you have that already?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)