Official Developer Edition

Search This thread

chino0131

Feb 22, 2010
Washington, DC
If you see sdm 1.0 in your apps then yes freeze it! I believe on beans rom its already removed. I could not remember if it had it stock, that's why I deleted my post...however I do know it was there on the GS3 stock.

It is in stock. Can you let me know why it should be deleted and/or why I should Freeze it? I see it under system/apps on my phone (stock/rooted... haven't yet unlocked). Just curious.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

dominick_7

Feb 4, 2007
Never have rooted a device and have been hesitant about rooting devices (no offense intended) but while I know XDA has a good reputation because I don't know the people who provide the 3rd party software I just don't trust it. I wouldn't trust a friend practically with holding my $700 device for the potential that they'd drop it. Think it's bad enough that any app can be submitted then via update they can get more intrusive or embed something bad, but how would I know if there was not some kind of malware, intrusive data access/theft application, or some other red flag type of thing in a ROM or via the unlocking software? So getting it from the manufacturer unlocked would alleviate my concerns in that regard. Aside from the security issue, Motorola has a way to check the history of whether it's been rooted or not.. if there's a move from Samsung or other entity to check that could there not be a possible way to get into trouble legally somehow with that? If it's from the manufacturer though as an approved unlocked device that would seem to make that point moot. Been considering selling my Note 2 just to get the developer edition but if anyone could assure me of the rooting process it might become more appealing to me. Your input is appreciated.

Old MuckenMire

Feb 9, 2010
It is in stock. Can you let me know why it should be deleted and/or why I should Freeze it? I see it under system/apps on my phone (stock/rooted... haven't yet unlocked). Just curious.

It's to try and block any OTA from Verizon from even attempting to install an upgrade. I was also told to freeze or delete FWupgrade apk. You do these things at your own risk though. As long as you have a custom recovery installed any OTA should fail anyway, but this is mostly an attempt to keep it from even nagging us.

Last edited:

joshw0000

Jun 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Adam,

Your unlock exploit on the S3 is what led me to buy one and is why I carried that phone as long as I did (I jump around phones a LOT). The same is true for the Note 2. I understand you also hacked the Galaxy Camera (I really want one of those) too. There's probably more devices that I'm unaware of.

Do you specialize only in Sammy devices? HTC devices are usually unlocked soon after release but I'd love to see an Adam Outler Maxx HD or similar secure device. I know Moto puts some hardcore security on their bootloaders, so maybe it's not possible. Maybe an HTC unlock without going through the dev site. Just throwing out ideas.

I guess what I'm saying is right now Samsung is my favorite manufacturer primarily because a) you've completely unlocked the best devices and b) they can be restored without sacrificing the warranty. This is how Android should be. Thanks for what you do!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Adam,

Your unlock exploit on the S3 is what led me to buy one and is why I carried that phone as long as I did (I jump around phones a LOT). The same is true for the Note 2. I understand you also hacked the Galaxy Camera (I really want one of those) too. There's probably more devices that I'm unaware of.

Do you specialize only in Sammy devices? HTC devices are usually unlocked soon after release but I'd love to see an Adam Outler Maxx HD or similar secure device. I know Moto puts some hardcore security on their bootloaders, so maybe it's not possible. Maybe an HTC unlock without going through the dev site. Just throwing out ideas.

I guess what I'm saying is right now Samsung is my favorite manufacturer primarily because a) you've completely unlocked the best devices and b) they can be restored without sacrificing the warranty. This is how Android should be. Thanks for what you do!

I've only ever worked with Samsung devices. I just started on Sony.

Travisdroidx2

Sep 9, 2011
Bay Area California
Two points, fool: The price of the Developer Version's not disclosed yet & so no one knows if it's more expensive or not. That's obvious, except to the fool above. The less obvious but more important reason for getting the Developer Edition is that the stock version has hidden Verizon spyware on it that locks the GN2 down, renders it useless, when it detects "unapproved software" on the phone. Code hidden perhaps in Verizon's proprietary radio software locked my phone down when I tried to load Google's stock apps. Everything except "off" was disabled, even boot loader mode. On, the screen displayed a 2" yellow triangle on a black screen,.plus the admonition that, as I'd tried to load software unapproved by Verizon, I must now return the phone to the Verizon dealer. So I did. I didn't pay over $700 for this phone to be told what browser I must use. Hopefully, the Developer Edition won't be so tyrannical.

You did not just call Adam a fool!!! You sir are the fool for flashing something you were not supposed to and not knowing how to fix it. Instead you broke it and took it to verizon. You are the true fool. Adam and his crew are the ones that cracked the bootloader. Show some respect!
If you knew what you were doing you would of fixed it yourself.

Reactions: NeoFL and nosit1

guitarist5122

May 25, 2010
Delaware
You did not just call Adam a fool!!! You sir are the fool for flashing something you were not supposed to and not knowing how to fix it. Instead you broke it and took it to verizon. You are the true fool. Adam and his crew are the ones that cracked the bootloader. Show some respect!

+1

Dude straight trolling

Sent From My Gargantuan Note 2

eraursls1984

Sep 8, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida
Two points, fool: The price of the Developer Version's not disclosed yet & so no one knows if it's more expensive or not. That's obvious, except to the fool above. The less obvious but more important reason for getting the Developer Edition is that the stock version has hidden Verizon spyware on it that locks the GN2 down, renders it useless, when it detects "unapproved software" on the phone. Code hidden perhaps in Verizon's proprietary radio software locked my phone down when I tried to load Google's stock apps. Everything except "off" was disabled, even boot loader mode. On, the screen displayed a 2" yellow triangle on a black screen,.plus the admonition that, as I'd tried to load software unapproved by Verizon, I must now return the phone to the Verizon dealer. So I did. I didn't pay over $700 for this phone to be told what browser I must use. Hopefully, the Developer Edition won't be so tyrannical.

The only stock app that you can't install (without rooting) is wallet, if you can't install other stock apps or any different browser then smart phones aren't for you.

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008

It is obvious from your post that you have no idea what you are doing and should stop while you are behind.

If there was ever a poster child for staying stock...

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
i cant believe all the idiots that joined this site back in 2007 and still have yet to learn a thing....grab your hard hat and crayons then run like hell, your real ****in special!

Reactions: 1ManWolfePack

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
Ya joined in 2007 and has 7 post. He has been trolling in caves for a long time. Probably just coming out of the cave and no idea what is going on.

this is like the third or fourth person that joined that long ago and has no clue. the last one i seen was on the gs3 boards and that person kept posting question related threads in the dev section lol.

joshw0000

Jun 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
The guy obviously is a noob in that he's only posted a few times and made a very rooky mistake. His next major noob mistake was calling Adam a fool, probably the most knowledgeable Sammy developer on XDA. So in the spirit of XDA, let's dog pile him, flame him, and ban him for life.

Now that we've all had fun and thrown a few jabs:

You unlocked, flashed something custom, then relocked. Read this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35348366 for your fix...the one that helped you unlock by the guy you called a fool.

roebling

Jan 20, 2007
Eatonton Ga
GN2 Developer Edition update

True, I didn't know who I was talking to & I was foolish and inappropriately disrespectful, if he truly broke the anti-developer spyware that Samsung &/or Verizon planted on Galaxy Note 2's. My apologies to all. Without your heavy lifting, we the casual, weekend-warrior programmer-wannabes would still be writing DOS batch files for our x86 PCs.

But also true was my point: In the second week of January last the newly announced G-Note2 Developer Edition wasn't for actually for sale or even priced. So how could A.O. or anybody else call it a bad buy?

BTW, today, ten weeks later, the G-Note2 has still not been priced & it's still not for sale:

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-I605MSAVZW

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012
It's a bad buy because it exists solely for the purpose of being unlocked and tinkered with. Why would someone pay $700 for this when they can get the regular one, unlock the hell out of it, and enjoy developer support?

That layman's enough for ya, chief? You won't win this argument...

Reactions: NeoFL and kintwofan

dominick_7

Feb 4, 2007
Could you Adam or anyone else address my concerns on page 3?

Hi I was wondering if anyone could please address my concerns on page 3? I've been seriously considering rooting but it seems no one can adequately address my security concerns. Even if no ill intent was had on the part of Adam or anyone at XDA, who's to say they can't be bribed, threatened or pressured to add something intrusive or some kind of malware. Google has all but admitted it snoops, Skype the same thing, and it's been admitted the internet was designed with snooping via the C1 A and FB 1 in mind.. I love but also hate tech. Seems like every time they say a particular tech is innovative it also means its intrusive and or sinister (ex. Kinect scanning your house, face, body yippee! Facebook asking all sorts of intrusive questions, companies exposed for using or selling your data/photos etc).. so with this in mind could anyone put my mind at ease on this issue? The fact that I haven't seen it address wherever I've asked it makes me even more hesitant. This is one of the reasons I'd have felt more secure getting a Developer Edition directly from Samsung, and I don't think I'm a fool for saying that. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just days after my team Unlocked the IROM, Samsung is selling a "Developer Edition". This developer edition will be more secure than the exploit unlock my team provides.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-I605MSAVZW

I find this really funny. I will also call those who pay for this device a sucker.
    I can think of several reasons to buy it. First, and most important, if Samsung gets high demand for this, it gives them data to send back to Verizon on subsequent models saying "look, there is a market for unlocked phones". This is especially true if Samsung sells significantly more of them on another carrier, and there is high demand for the unlocked version.

Another reason would be, if this is shipping unlocked in a manner that would allow you to flash the kernel and recovery, you are getting an unlocked phone that still has its warranty. Technically, you can restore your current phone to the factory state and get warranty coverage, but you broke the warranty. That would be less of an issue on the Developer edition.

Next, you'll never have to worry about an OTA update breaking the unlocked state of your device. It is possible that checks will be introduced to require a specific bootloader version to work with updated radios or kernels, or other proprietary libraries. We may be able to hack around it, but this isn't something you'd need to worry about here.

Finally, lets say you want to buy the device at full retail to keep your unlimited data. Why go and buy it at Verizon and let them make money off of a locked phone? This goes back to the first point too. Spend the same amount with Samsung, let them get the profits for producing an unlocked device.

It is obvious from your post that you have no idea what you are doing and should stop while you are behind.

If there was ever a poster child for staying stock...
    Hi I was wondering if anyone could please address my concerns on page 3? I've been seriously considering rooting but it seems no one can adequately address my security concerns. Even if no ill intent was had on the part of Adam or anyone at XDA, who's to say they can't be bribed, threatened or pressured to add something intrusive or some kind of malware. Google has all but admitted .....

What do you plan on doing with your device once it's unlocked? Dev edition or not, it won't be pre-rooted. You'll still need to use an exploit/root tool from XDA for that. Then if you want to install custom ROMs you're going to have the same options that everyone else has which means trusting the devs haven't hidden anything inside their ROMs. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I've run custom on every android device I've ever owned without a problem. You hear a lot about devs stealing others work but next to nothing about security threats or spying. If you're that worried about security though, you should probably stick to all stock.