[Q] Micro Sd(s) not compatible with?!

Search This thread

David2xs

Oct 22, 2013
So as a new android user (switching from apple) i realize how much i've been missing out on the beauty of Android devices. So that being said i am so happy to be here and posting about this new friggin device!
SO heres the problem that i realize: Most micro SD card does not work with this new device!! I've tried installing it in the note 10.1 and realize that in the end it cant read. However, if i put it in my s4, it does read and store data. So i emailed samsung personally and they basically said, "as of right now, there arent any micro sd card that is compatible with the note 10.1 2014. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone used a micro sd card with their device yet? If so what brand? I have a kingston.

Reactions: blazzer12

nrage23

I am using 32gb Kingston with no issues. If it is recognized by your phone, try formatting it inside the phone then put it in the tablet. Most likely the card is not formatted properly.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium HD app

Itchiee

Sep 30, 2007
Somewhere Else
I am using 32gb Kingston with no issues. If it is recognized by your phone, try formatting it inside the phone then put it in the tablet. Most likely the card is not formatted properly.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium HD app

Yeah it's most likely this.

I'm using a 64GB SanDisk Class 10 card formatted to exfat.

Plenty of help on the web if you are unsure of what your doing.

Good luck!

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
i tried a brand new PNY 64GB formatted to exFAT. it worked fine until it die- two friggin days!

now i'm using my back up 64GB sandisk. it's working fine so far, exFat too. had one incident that made me think that this may be a dud too, or that the 2014 may be killing my disks. i'll have to keep an eye out.

Mickeylittle

Jan 19, 2008
There are way too many reports of this for there not to be a problem! I myself had a card that worked great in my old Note 10.1 and my cell phone but had to be formatted for the 2014 edition. Why? No reason other than something just ain't right somewhere!

nrage23

There are way too many reports of this for there not to be a problem! I myself had a card that worked great in my old Note 10.1 and my cell phone but had to be formatted for the 2014 edition. Why? No reason other than something just ain't right somewhere!

Have not seen way too many reports of this problem with this particular device. The problems lie in the the memory cards not the device. Flash memory is notorious for just flat out dying or not working in certain devices. Sandisk or Samsung are the top choices for broad compatibility, hence the fact that their prices are usually higher. Probably due to more R&D and testing. I just swapped my 64gb Sandisk for the Kingston 32gb with no issues. I had the 64gb in an Acer W3-810 Windows Tablet.

Mickeylittle

Jan 19, 2008
Have not seen way too many reports of this problem with this particular device. The problems lie in the the memory cards not the device. Flash memory is notorious for just flat out dying or not working in certain devices. Sandisk or Samsung are the top choices for broad compatibility, hence the fact that their prices are usually higher. Probably due to more R&D and testing. I just swapped my 64gb Sandisk for the Kingston 32gb with no issues. I had the 64gb in an Acer W3-810 Windows Tablet.

My bad. There is only this thread and another thread on the next page. It is kinda suspicious that my 64GB card as well as others here works fine in my other tablet and phone but just won't work in my new 2014. Call it what you want but to me that's a lack of plug and play!

For everyone without any issues of course we are just making a mountain out of a molehill but for us FEW sitting here with a 64gb micro card that won't work consistently this is a fail!

So yes I surrendered and picked up a 32gb card and it works flawlessly.

john10101

Sep 3, 2010
i have a 16GB patriot Class 4 that i pulled out of my Nook Color (and formatted on my computer) i have had no issues using this.

one thing i did notice, is that the sd slot in the galaxy note 10.1 is pretty deep, i cant get the card in without assistance, usually from a pen or key that happens to be nearby.

nrage23

My bad. There is only this thread and another thread on the next page. It is kinda suspicious that my 64GB card as well as others here works fine in my other tablet and phone but just won't work in my new 2014. Call it what you want but to me that's a lack of plug and play!

For everyone without any issues of course we are just making a mountain out of a molehill but for us FEW sitting here with a 64gb micro card that won't work consistently this is a fail!

So yes I surrendered and picked up a 32gb card and it works flawlessly.

Do not make this in to something personal. Please read what I typed. I was not trying to deny there is a problem but let people know where the problem comes from. One android device works with a card but it will not work with another. It is more than likely the card. You made it sound like it is Samsung's fault. They cannot test every card with every device ever made. People should be asking for help from their card manufacturer. My original 64gb died right out of the box and Sandisk replaced it.

Mickeylittle

Jan 19, 2008
I'm sorry if this came across as personal. I apologize for that. We just disagree and that's fine. You think it is the card even though it works great in 3 other devices, my laptop with the insert, my phone, and my old Note 10.1 and I think it's the 2014 edition because it doesn't work in it. To me if it was the card it would give me some sort of trouble in the other devices.

But to each his/her own.

Mickeylittle

Jan 19, 2008
Maybe its how the card is formatted?

I may be mistaken but I believe I have mentioned that I formatted the card while using the Note 2014. I also formatted it on my PC. It's no biggie anymore since I have a 32 gb installed that works great. I'm just going to wait till another update and try it again. I believe it's going to work at some point.

stinger108

Sep 28, 2013
So as a new android user (switching from apple) i realize how much i've been missing out on the beauty of Android devices. So that being said i am so happy to be here and posting about this new friggin device!
SO heres the problem that i realize: Most micro SD card does not work with this new device!! I've tried installing it in the note 10.1 and realize that in the end it cant read. However, if i put it in my s4, it does read and store data. So i emailed samsung personally and they basically said, "as of right now, there arent any micro sd card that is compatible with the note 10.1 2014. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone used a micro sd card with their device yet? If so what brand? I have a kingston.

32gb class 10 Samsung micro sd card works perfectly in my Note 10.1 2014, TAB3 8.0, GS4 & GS3

Gizmo15

Jul 27, 2010
I'm having intermittent failures with my card also. I took my 32 gb Lexar out of my Transformer Prime and it wasn't recognized by the Note. I formatted it, it was fine for a few days, now it's telling me that the card is blank and/or unreadable. I formatted it again using the SD Formatter. I'm adding music to the card now and I'll be keeping an eye on it. I'll buy a Sandisk if this continues. I'm not at a risk of losing data, so I can experiment a little.

Mr_Armageddon

Oct 31, 2007
Denver
Don't cheap out on crappy low end cards, and you *should be fine. I have a combination of 6 Samsung phones & tablets all using one of the two cards listed below. Have never had a single issue, and a few of the devices have been using the same card for well over a year.

SanDisk SDSDQUA-064G-U46A Ultra 64 GB microSDXC (UHS-1) Class 10

Samsung Electronics 32GB microSDHC Extreme Speed (UHS-1) Class 10

The 64GB Sandisk Ultra is currently formatted ExFAT, and has been working just fine for almost 2 weeks now in my Note 10.1 (2014 ed).

* There is always a chance with failure, as with any electronic component, but good storage cards are worth their price.

Don't cheap out on crappy low end cards, and you *should be fine. I have a combination of 6 Samsung phones & tablets all using one of the two cards listed below. Have never had a single issue, and a few of the devices have been using the same card for well over a year.

SanDisk SDSDQUA-064G-U46A Ultra 64 GB microSDXC (UHS-1) Class 10

Samsung Electronics 32GB microSDHC Extreme Speed (UHS-1) Class 10

The 64GB Sandisk Ultra is currently formatted ExFAT, and has been working just fine for almost 2 weeks now in my Note 10.1 (2014 ed).

* There is always a chance with failure, as with any electronic component, but good storage cards are worth their price.

Kingston, Transcend, Lexar, AData, G.Skill and Patriot are all good brands as well.

bu11d0g

Nov 2, 2006
Same issue as above posters, I have a SanDisk ultra 64gb. After mucking around trying to get the same card that worked perfectly in my original. 10.1.

Solution : I backed the card contents up on my pc and then formatted the card in the original 10.1 before checking that I could write a new directory on the card using the 2014 edition.

Seems to work so far, hope this helps you guys (who still have the original 10.1 as well).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a 64GB Patriot class 10, No issues. Thought I would chime in.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Anyone try the Samsung 64GB micro SDXC? I can only guess all Samsung Micro SD's will work fine.

Working fine here.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk 4
    64GB SanDisk Mobile Ultra :) ..works fine so far, after a few weeks of usage

Sent from my GT-I9205 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app