Xperia Play boot loops every time something is flashed via CWM

Search This thread

x2110311x

Feb 9, 2014
Canton, Ohio
www.Quadocraft.com
Hi, I've been having some problems with my Xperia Play getting stuck in a boot loop after flashing anything, or restoring a backup in CWM. This includes mods, like Adrenoboost, and the NXT Lockscreen, to themes. I have the Xperia Play R800x with an unlocked bootloader (via unlock code from Sony) and I'm using stock 2.3.3 Gingerbread, with the stock Kernel. I boot CWM by hotBooting LuPuS with Fastboot. I'm not really sure what to do because I really want to install these mods, and because restoring my nandroid backups also gets it stuck in a bootloop, I have to reflash the stock .ftf with FlashTool and reroot it every time.

WhiteWashed

Jan 26, 2014
Vivaro
Hi, I've been having some problems with my Xperia Play getting stuck in a boot loop after flashing anything, or restoring a backup in CWM. This includes mods, like Adrenoboost, and the NXT Lockscreen, to themes. I have the Xperia Play R800x with an unlocked bootloader (via unlock code from Sony) and I'm using stock 2.3.3 Gingerbread, with the stock Kernel. I boot CWM by hotBooting LuPuS with Fastboot. I'm not really sure what to do because I really want to install these mods, and because restoring my nandroid backups also gets it stuck in a bootloop, I have to reflash the stock .ftf with FlashTool and reroot it every time.

Hi. Not all mods are 100% compatible with stock ROM so you should use a custom one. Many custom ROMs are better than the stock one.

x2110311x

Feb 9, 2014
Canton, Ohio
www.Quadocraft.com
Hi. Not all mods are 100% compatible with stock ROM so you should use a custom one. Many custom ROMs are better than the stock one.
My only problem is, when I flash other ROMs they don't work, unless I also flash a custom Kernel. Anytime I flash a custom kernel, WiFi never connects, even if I flash the WiFi modules. It gets stuck at Obtaining IP Address, then stops.

WhiteWashed

Jan 26, 2014
Vivaro
My only problem is, when I flash other ROMs they don't work, unless I also flash a custom Kernel. Anytime I flash a custom kernel, WiFi never connects, even if I flash the WiFi modules. It gets stuck at Obtaining IP Address, then stops.
There's are some Gingerbread based roms that work also with the stock kernel and won't give you any problem with wifi (personal experience).
Try the gbx_play v3-rebuild here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1897634
Or the Gin2kitkat here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1631144

Try to flash one of these and let us know :)
Remember that before you flash a ROM you MUST make a wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe Dalvik Cache (in advanced options).

Last edited:

x2110311x

Feb 9, 2014
Canton, Ohio
www.Quadocraft.com
There's are some Gingerbread based roms that work also with the stock kernel and won't give you any problem with wifi (personal experience).

Remember that before you flash a ROM you MUST make a wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe Dalvik Cache (in advanced options).

I do wipe the data and cache. I know how to install ROMs, I've done it with TWRP on my Kindle Fire, but I get stuck in a boot loop every time. I'll try these ROMs and see how they go.

x2110311x

Feb 9, 2014
Canton, Ohio
www.Quadocraft.com

I did a Factory Reset on CWM, then flashed Gin2KitKat, and wiped the cache and dalvik cache and it's stuck on the Android boot animation. It's been sitting there for like 10 minutes or so now. Flashtool does recognize it though.
Connected Device: R800
Installed version of busybox: BusyBox x1.21.1-Stericson (2013-09-26 14:33:26 BST) multi-call binary
Android Version: 2.3.7 / kernel version 2.6.32.9-perf / Build number: 4.0.2.A.0.79

WhiteWashed

Jan 26, 2014
Vivaro
Strange, I have the opposite problem: lupus doesn't boot any ROM for me, excepting ICs ones.
In fact, to install a GB ROM I always have to flash first the stock rom and fw, and then flash the ROM with a custom recovery. Anyway by "hot booting" you mean custom recovery right?

Sent from my R800i using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

x2110311x

Feb 9, 2014
Canton, Ohio
www.Quadocraft.com
No, what I'm doing is using Fastboot to boot the phone with the kernel, without flashing it, to test it out. As soon as you shut the phone off, and turn it back on, it boots with whatever kernel is flashed on it

Sent from my R800x using xda app-developers app

WhiteWashed

Jan 26, 2014
Vivaro
No, what I'm doing is using Fastboot to boot the phone with the kernel, without flashing it, to test it out. As soon as you shut the phone off, and turn it back on, it boots with whatever kernel is flashed on it

Sent from my R800x using xda app-developers app

That's what I mean with custom recovery :laugh: (don't confuse with custom kernel).

darkharbinger81

Oct 3, 2012
Iowa home of Slipkknot
When I had stock kernel I would boot LuPuS just for CWM, but I'll hotboot kernels to see how well they run

Sent from my R800x using xda-developers app

So here's what you need to do, since you want stock and and fastbootalot for recoveries y don't you download xperia play clockwork mod app? It's version 4 or something like that don't use xparts it don't work with our Verizon plays since you have root this will install recovery for you to flash Roms mods etc

I'll edit later with a link to the thread that has the clockwork mod app install that MAKE A NANDROID before you flash anything it helps worse case you hotboot lupus to restore your nandroid you have then reboot and guess what stock 2.3.3 Rom and kernel

Sent from my ADR6300 using xda app-developers app