FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What, If Any Other Tutorials Would You Like Me To Make?

Tutorial on setting up and using ADB

378 Vote(s)
52.87%
Creating flashable .zips to be used in recovery

401 Vote(s)
56.08%
Whatever I want!

164 Vote(s)
22.94%
Nothing! I make terrible useless guides!

23 Vote(s)
3.22%

[Guide] How To Setup And Use Fastboot

6,858 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,767

By demkantor, Recognized Contributor on 13th May 2013, 07:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th November 2013, 08:47 PM |#121  
Quote:
Originally Posted by toldmango

I did what you said and the command is now working under fastboot into bootloader, I do have the serial number listed. Thank you so. But then I have another question. Now I type "adb devices" it just shows "list of attached devices" and nothing really listed while before it show up the serial number. Is that normal?..

so fastboot commands are working? good!
as for adb, this will only work when in OS and recovery, when in bootloader you can only use fastboot
The Following User Says Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift demkantor Ad-Free

13th November 2013, 09:43 AM |#122  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor

so fastboot commands are working? good!
as for adb, this will only work when in OS and recovery, when in bootloader you can only use fastboot

Okay! Yes everything works fine! Thank you for your perseverance and your kindness again!
PS: I saw in one of your post that you were studying for finals! Hope it went well!
The Following User Says Thank You to toldmango For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift toldmango Ad-Free
14th November 2013, 11:57 PM |#123  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
fastboot doesn't work
First of all, great tut.

I've been trying to install TWRP custom recovery on my I9300. Since GooManager was give errors, I thought I'd try flashing with fastboot. No dice.

"adb devices" give me a serial but nothing with "fastboot devices". I'd tried it in Download Mode also. Don't think it has a fastboot mode. When I type "fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-i9300.img", it says "<waiting for device>". Any help is appreciated.
15th November 2013, 02:09 AM |#124  
Yeah, unfortunately most Samsung devices won't have a bootloader that supports fastboot, but you could try a terminal emulator as well (use jack P's from the play store) as long as your current ROM supports the flash image binary
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
(Need to have image on root of SD and named recovery.img)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift demkantor Ad-Free
15th November 2013, 06:09 AM |#125  

More
I've managed to flash TWRP using adb shell. No problems there. I wonder why adb works but fastboot doesn't work on my phone.

Anyway thanks for you help.
15th November 2013, 06:16 AM |#126  
Its the bootloader that Samsung made, this is proprietary and doesn't really have android in it, at least not how we think of android. So OEMS can make a bootloader that has a fastboot interface but if they don't deem it necessary than they won't, Sammy doesn't deem it necessary. Actually the only Samsung devices I've seen with fastboot our nexus devices where I suppose Google had a lot more say on what the firmware should be like

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
17th November 2013, 10:15 PM |#127  
Account currently disabled
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 116

Donate to Me
More
Last time I f\Fastboot flashed the system it wiped it before It flashed.
Anyways I have a tool in my description for this kind of stuff.
It also includes extra functions like automatic redirection of logcat output to notepad and automatic adb devices.
It can install adb and fastboot into the system too.
It can root and unroot and includes the sfk binary from stahlworks.
It can install busybox and su or it can remove them.
18th November 2013, 12:23 PM |#128  

More
I've flashed the factory image for nexus 4 (Android 4.4), everything working fine.. but the storage shows only 5 GB for a 16 GB device. Can i get it back by erasing the system and boot. Does it wipe everything? Could you please help.
18th November 2013, 03:19 PM |#129  
Quote:
Originally Posted by omal

I've flashed the factory image for nexus 4 (Android 4.4), everything working fine.. but the storage shows only 5 GB for a 16 GB device. Can i get it back by erasing the system and boot. Does it wipe everything? Could you please help.

Yeah it's one of those issues with the internal storage only phones.
A full format through fastboot should work but you may need to flash a new bootloader as well.
And yes it will wipe all partitions so backup to a PC what you need. May as well start fresh though
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase system -w
fastboot erase recovery

Now flash latest bootloader and recovery of choice
fastboot flash bootloader nameofbootloader.img
fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img

Now boot to new recovery and flash ROM of choice
Let me know if you get stuck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
19th November 2013, 05:15 AM |#130  

More
started fresh and it worked .. storage issue is fixed now. Thanks a lot ..

fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase recovery
19th November 2013, 05:53 AM |#131  
@omal
Great to hear! If this ever happens to me I'll be ready!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)