[Q] P601 64GB sdcard unwritable

Search This thread

maainux

Jun 11, 2011
Hi folks,

I recently got a 64 GB microsd card ( class 4) for my galaxy note 10.1 SM-P601 ( build:JSS15J.P601XXUBMJ9,Baseband:p601DDUBMJ1).

This card works fine when I use it on my laptop but I am unable to write it on the tablet.I am able to read the data though.
Below is the list of what I have already tried and failed.

1)I have tried rebooting,remounting reinserting
2) As the default format was exFAT I reformatted it into fat32 using fat32 formatter.
3) I tried partitioning the card on laptop into 2 32gb partitions and then using it on the tablet.
4) I have tried SD card accelerators from Play store.

Once I mount the sdcard it shows TOTAL SPACE: 62.5 GB in Settings->General->Storage.When ever I try to write the card it somewhat gets unmounted and shows TOTAL SPACE :0.0 bytes.

Please suggest a solution to make it work

CehowardNote3

Nov 5, 2013
Hi folks,

I recently got a 64 GB microsd card ( class 4) for my galaxy note 10.1 SM-P601 ( build:JSS15J.P601XXUBMJ9,Baseband:p601DDUBMJ1).

This card works fine when I use it on my laptop but I am unable to write it on the tablet.I am able to read the data though.

2) As the default format was exFAT I reformatted it into fat32 using fat32 formatter.
3) I tried partitioning the card on laptop into 2 32gb partitions and then using it on the tablet.

Once I mount the sdcard it shows TOTAL SPACE: 62.5 GB in Settings->General->Storage.When ever I try to write the card it somewhat gets unmounted and shows TOTAL SPACE :0.0 bytes.

Have you formated it in the GN 2014?

Also, I wouldn't use a Class 4.. Just my opinion.

Also, they have some bad 64gb cards out there.. I would get a name brand 64gb class 10 from BestBuy, Staples, etc.. Format it GN 2014. If everything works, then the problem was the sd card.

I have a Sandisk Ultra 64gb Class 10 in my GN 2014 and my Note 3.. both work perfectly.

maainux

Jun 11, 2011
Hi gurus,
The Idea is to make the the 64 gb card (that working fine on my laptop) work on my note 10.1.
Please help .
What could be the possible reason.

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
If the card is a used one, it may have been formatted as FAT32, to work in a non-Sdxc compatible device. The Sdxc capable note may boycott the card because of violation of the specs, so reformat it to exFat.
It was similar with 4GB SD cards, which shall not exist by spec, but worked fine in Sd devices, not in Sdhc ones.

marceloreis72

May 10, 2014
Experiencing the same

Hi folks,

Hi maainux, I'm experiencing the same problem here, have you found any solution?

Mine is a SM-P601 / Android 4.3 / Build: JSS15J.P601UBUBMJ4 / Baseband: P601UBUBMJ1 (Fully Stock)

I tried 3 64gb micro sd card: SanDisk Ultra, Samsung, and a generic one. For both 3 the same results, as following:

1 - If I let the tablet format the card (exFAT), it can be mounted but gets suddenly unmounted when I try to write on it and shows TOTAL SPACE :0.0 bytes just like yours. I installed BTSync, when I tried to configure the sync on the tabled by selecting the sd card as the destination folder for the files, the app give a message saying it don't have permission to access that folder and gets unmounted. Tried rebooting, remounting, reinserting, and nothing change.

2 - If I format to fat32 as a logical partition using Minitool Partition Wizard, I get the same behavior as above description.

3 - If I format to fat32 as a primary partition using Minitool Partition Wizard, I can create folders but can't delete them, when I try to delete via "My Files" it says "deletion failed". I tried ES File Explorer, get the same. I was able to configure BTSync, it can copy the files from my PC folder, but when I delete some file in the PC it can't be deleted on the tablet and the BTSync app shows a message stating it can't identify the destination folder on the tablet.

I have some micro sd cards laying around, tried SanDisk 32gb, 16gb and 8gb, both 3 worked flawlessly on the tablet. I noticed the tablet format any <32gb card as fat32, and the 64gb as exFat, this make me think that was related to file system format, but it's not. Seems something related to permissions, like the KitKat 4.4 guys are experiencing. The point is I'm completely newbie on Android and have ZERO knowledge on Linux/Unix, so I have no Idea on how to solve this.

Can you guys help me?

Thanks in advance.