[ROM][7.1.2_r24][UNOFFICIAL][grouper] LineageOS 14.1 for Nexus 7 2012

Search This thread

aaopt

Feb 27, 2011
Pawtucket, RI
[ROM][7.1.2_r8][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 for Nexus 7 2012 (grouper)

*** Disclamer

By downloading and installing this ROM you agree that you do so at
your own risk, and that you understand that it probably voids your
warranty. (But does anyone still have an active warranty on this 2012
device?)

Introduction

@AndDiSa's AOSP 7 builds look pretty nice, but I needed something that seamlessly upgrades from CM13. @GtrCraft who provided our CM13 builds has moved on to other devices, so we need a new CM maintainer. I may not be the right person for that job... but I can at least share the build I made for myself. Perhaps someone will be motivated to join the fun or even take over.

[Images on screenshots tab.]

Installation instructions

• Back up your data and previous ROM with TWRP 3.0.2 or 3.1.0.
  • Download from link below.
  • Wipe system, cache, dalvik.
  • Also wipe data unless you are coming from CM13.
  • Install the ROM.
  • Optionally add opengapps-pico.
    With default settings it will give an error about insufficient space. To avoid that, first copy this gapps-config-grouper.txt file, perhaps edit it to your taste (instructions here), then copy to the device in the same directory as the opengapps zip. The opengapps updater-script will look for it there when you install opengapps.​
  • Reboot.
    WAIT for system to settle before you decide it is slow. Some of the app optimization which used to happen during initial boot now seems to happen in the background. When it's finished, responsiveness will improve.​
  • If you use ext4, run fstrim.
    There are ways to automate this, but I just run this app after each ROM upgrade, plus roughly once a week, after large batches of app updates from Play Store, or whenever my tablet starts to feel sluggish.​

Download
lineage-14.1-20171122-UNOFFICIAL-aaopt-grouper.zip (AndroidFileHost)

Credits / Thanks
  • Google / AOSP
  • CyanogenMod LineageOS
  • @AndDiSa for AOSP 7.1 -- I use his kernel tree directly, and many of his device tree mods
  • @GtrCraft for the CM13 tree upon which mine is based

XDA:DevDB Information
Unofficial LineageOS 14.1 for Nexus 7, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
aaopt, AndDiSa,GtrCraft
Source Code: https://github.com/aperomsik/lineageos_android_device_asus_grouper/

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2017-01-02
Last Updated 2017-12-19

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170101-170406.png
    Screenshot_20170101-170406.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 59,598
Last edited:

aaopt

Feb 27, 2011
Pawtucket, RI
Changelog

Nearly all builds include LineageOS sync -- only mentioned specifically when it was the main point of the build.

• (TESTING)20181209 (AndroidFileHost)
    @AndDiSa's kernel and device tweaks since my last build and LineageOS sync.
  • (TESTING)20181104 (AndroidFileHost)
  • (TESTING)20180708 (AndroidFileHost)
    Added @AndDiSa's kernel and device tweaks since my last build and LineageOS sync with June patches.
  • (TESTING)20180121 (AndroidFileHost)
    @AndDiSa's January performance tweaks. LineageOS sync with January patches.
older entries:

• 20171122 (AndroidFileHost)
    LineageOS sync with November patches.
  • (TESTING) 20171112 (AndroidFileHost)
    @AndDiSa's latest kernel and device tweaks.
  • (TESTING) 20171020 (AndroidFileHost)
    LineageOS sync including October patches and KRAKN fix.
    Kernel updates and latest device performance tweaks from @AndDiSa .
  • (TESTING) 20170811 (AndroidFileHost)
    LineageOS sync including August patches.
  • 20170717 (AndroidFileHost)
    LineageOS sync brings us to 7.1.2r24 ; perf tweak from @AndDiSa
  • 20170702 (AndroidFileHost)
    LineageOS sync
  • 20170609 (AndroidFileHost)
    LineageOS sync including June patches; Following @AndDiSa's lead to intelliactive governor, for hopefully improved battery life with minimal performance impact.
  • 20170507 (AndroidFileHost)
    Following @AndDiSa's lead to pick up a better fix for RenderThread issues from UnlegacyAndroid.
  • 20170503 (AndroidFileHost)
    LineageOS sync brings us to 7.1.2_r8
  • 20170423 (AndroidFileHost)
    LineageOS sync brings us to 7.1.2_r2
    Updated with @AndDiSa's kernel and device tree updates, including the RenderThread app crash fix he got from @Ziyann.
  • 20170315 (XDA)
    Updated with @AndDiSa's kernel and device tree updates.
  • 20170308 (AndroidFileHost)
    LineageOS sync includes March security patches. For unknown reasons this build seems to be somewhat crashy.
  • 20170226 (AndroidFileHost)
    LineageOS sync includes Feb security patches
  • 20170212 (AndroidFileHost)
    AndDiSa's kernel updates
  • 20170129 (AndroidFileHost)
    AndDiSa's kernel updates
  • 20170122 (AndroidFileHost)
    LineageOS sync, including boot animation and settings updates and various other fixes here and there.
  • 20170108 (AndroidFileHost)
    Switch to Snap camera, at least for now.
  • 20170101 (AndroidFileHost)
    First LineageOS 14.1 build for grouper.
  • Unofficial CM 14.1 (XDA)
    Previous history in my CM 14.1 thread.

More detailed history: my device tree, AndDiSa's kernel, LineageOS .

Last edited:

aaopt

Feb 27, 2011
Pawtucket, RI
Try this at home

(a.k.a. Build instructions)

There are plenty of guides to building CM. Those guides are still relevant with the possible exceptions of their URLs. Assuming you have read enough such guides to have the general idea of how to build a ROM from source, here is one way you can set up your source tree to mimic mine.

In a clean directory, perhaps ~/android/lineageos-14.1/ :

Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/LineageOS/android.git -b cm-14.1
git clone https://github.com/aperomsik/lineageos_local_manifests.git .repo/local_manifests -b cm-14.1
repo sync -c 
. build/envsetup.sh
brunch grouper

Last edited:

nixuser1980

Dec 30, 2016

There are plenty of guides to building CM. Those guides are still relevant with the possible exceptions of their URLs. Assuming you have read enough such guides to have the general idea of how to build a ROM from source, here is one way you can set up your source tree to mimic mine.

Code:
git clone git@github.com:aperomsik/lineageos_local_manifests.git .repo/local_manifests -b cm-14.1
repo sync -c 
. build/envsetup.sh
brunch grouper

Recent version of repo doesn't seem to explicitly support '-c' parameter any more to reduce the download size (mine have been around 30GB). Thanks for these instructions; still, I would like to know how you integrated the required changes for 14.1 grouper.

Reactions: Charles IV

arnofor

Aug 16, 2009
Thank you aaopt for keeping our old Nexus 7 alive !
Can someone tell me the perfect settings for Kernel Adiutor to get the maximum performances ? Even if the battery life is shorten.
Thanx in advance

Reactions: droidsmith

nixuser1980

Dec 30, 2016
It's all in the local manifests.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Just took a look at those. I have been using TheMuppets at github for the proprietary components, having needed to patch the nvidia components due to an old GNU-ism (gcc extension that was eventually formalised).
Saw that you got the broadcom et al components from your "ads" git repo and wanted to know if there was any reason not to use TheMuppets (or if, indeed, you sourced them from there and modified them), that I can learn from.
Thanks again.

nixuser1980

Dec 30, 2016

Code:
git clone git@github.com:aperomsik/lineageos_local_manifests.git .repo/local_manifests -b cm-14.1

repo sync -c 
. build/envsetup.sh
brunch grouper

Can confirm that this works - now I just need to find the magic in the code. :) Also, how did kernel/timeconst.pl not need to be replaced with timeconst.bc and kernel/Makefile not need to be amended to use bc instead of perl? I was getting a compile error because of this in the grouper kernel tree.

Last edited:

aaopt

Feb 27, 2011
Pawtucket, RI
Just took a look at those. I have been using TheMuppets at github for the proprietary components, having needed to patch the nvidia components due to an old GNU-ism (gcc extension that was eventually formalised).
Saw that you got the broadcom et al components from your "ads" git repo and wanted to know if there was any reason not to use TheMuppets (or if, indeed, you sourced them from there and modified them), that I can learn from.
Thanks again.

The "ads" git repos referenced in my manifests are AndDiSa's. My repos are labelled "aaopt".

As stated in OP my goal with this ROM is to continue GtrCraft's CM13 work now that he has moved on to other devices. He had been following AndDiSa's proprietary components from AOSP so I just continued that way. In fact I took it a step further by using AndDiSa's kernel directly, not (yet?) seeing a clear reason to maintain my own. I just want to do the minimum amount of work needed to keep somewhat up to date with upstream LineageOS and take advantage of AndDiSa's device-specific performance improvements from the AOSP side.

nixuser1980

Dec 30, 2016
The "ads" git repos referenced in my manifests are AndDiSa's. My repos are labelled "aaopt".

As stated in OP my goal with this ROM is to continue GtrCraft's CM13 work now that he has moved on to other devices. He had been following AndDiSa's proprietary components from AOSP so I just continued that way. In fact I took it a step further by using AndDiSa's kernel directly, not (yet?) seeing a clear reason to maintain my own. I just want to do the minimum amount of work needed to keep somewhat up to date with upstream LineageOS and take advantage of AndDiSa's device-specific performance improvements from the AOSP side.

Oops. I got that wrong. Anyway, thanks for your work and I learned a few things from it.

Reactions: rustemy and tj13

FunkyMuse

Dec 26, 2013
Just flashed it, will see how it goes.
For now when the only bug
When i take picture with camera, it mirrors it and makes it look pixelish

Promez

Oct 5, 2011
Rome
Great! Happy to see our grouper still updated, thanks

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 utilizzando Tapatalk

myxomop25

Aug 24, 2011
Lesozavodsk
Hey there! Will there be a ROM for Tilapia? I'd be nice to try it on it. I'm not a programmer but as I noticed building for Grouper and Tilapia is just a little different.

FunkyMuse

Dec 26, 2013
From one day of full usage:
- The charging is a bit slow, i don't know if it's a big battery or the power flow is low
- There is lagging, like the ROM isn't optimized yet, slowdowns, applications are usually giving me stopped working etc...
- The camera bug i mentioned above, when u take picture it looks pixelated

I'll do more reviews like this if the updates keep coming

Last edited:
Reactions: aaopt

aaopt

Feb 27, 2011
Pawtucket, RI
From one day of full usage:
- The charging is a bit slow, i don't know if it's a big battery or the power flow is low
- There is lagging, like the ROM isn't optimized yet, slowdowns, applications are usually giving me stopped working etc...
- The camera bug i mentioned above, when u take picture it looks pixelated

I'll do more reviews like this if the updates keep coming

Here is a build I am testing, in which all I did was sync sources with upstream. It feels somewhat less laggy to me... not sure if it is due to Lineage changes, 7.1.1_r9, or the fact that I used newer opengapps.

Camera issue is interesting -- I have a shot in my camera folder from 11-29 which looks better. Current shots claim to have the same resolution but file size is much smaller, which suggests the wrong jpeg quality setting was used. Something to dig for.

Regarding charging, are you saying it charges more slowly with this ROM than with others? Charging speed varies widely for me but recently it hasn't been that bad. If your hardware is behaving the expected charging time from nearly empty is supposed to be 3-4 hours. Over time the connector gets loose and then charging can take much longer. There are plenty of charging-related threads around here including some which say to replace the USB port and one which says take out the existing port and put it back in. Tried that on the worst of my family's tablets and it helped for a day or so but then went back to old slow charging speed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROM][7.1.2_r8][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 for Nexus 7 2012 (grouper)

*** Disclamer

By downloading and installing this ROM you agree that you do so at
    your own risk, and that you understand that it probably voids your
    warranty. (But does anyone still have an active warranty on this 2012
    device?)

Introduction

@AndDiSa's AOSP 7 builds look pretty nice, but I needed something that seamlessly upgrades from CM13. @GtrCraft who provided our CM13 builds has moved on to other devices, so we need a new CM maintainer. I may not be the right person for that job... but I can at least share the build I made for myself. Perhaps someone will be motivated to join the fun or even take over.

[Images on screenshots tab.]

Installation instructions

• Back up your data and previous ROM with TWRP 3.0.2 or 3.1.0.
    • Download from link below.
    • Wipe system, cache, dalvik.
    • Also wipe data unless you are coming from CM13.
    • Install the ROM.
    • Optionally add opengapps-pico.
      With default settings it will give an error about insufficient space. To avoid that, first copy this gapps-config-grouper.txt file, perhaps edit it to your taste (instructions here), then copy to the device in the same directory as the opengapps zip. The opengapps updater-script will look for it there when you install opengapps.​
    • Reboot.
      WAIT for system to settle before you decide it is slow. Some of the app optimization which used to happen during initial boot now seems to happen in the background. When it's finished, responsiveness will improve.​
    • If you use ext4, run fstrim.
      There are ways to automate this, but I just run this app after each ROM upgrade, plus roughly once a week, after large batches of app updates from Play Store, or whenever my tablet starts to feel sluggish.​

Download
    lineage-14.1-20171122-UNOFFICIAL-aaopt-grouper.zip (AndroidFileHost)

Credits / Thanks
    • Google / AOSP
    • CyanogenMod LineageOS
    • @AndDiSa for AOSP 7.1 -- I use his kernel tree directly, and many of his device tree mods
    • @GtrCraft for the CM13 tree upon which mine is based

XDA:DevDB Information
    Unofficial LineageOS 14.1 for Nexus 7, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
    aaopt, AndDiSa,GtrCraft
    Source Code: https://github.com/aperomsik/lineageos_android_device_asus_grouper/

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2017-01-02
    Last Updated 2017-12-19
    Changelog

Nearly all builds include LineageOS sync -- only mentioned specifically when it was the main point of the build.

• (TESTING)20181209 (AndroidFileHost)
    • (TESTING)20181104 (AndroidFileHost)
    • (TESTING)20180708 (AndroidFileHost)
      Added @AndDiSa's kernel and device tweaks since my last build and LineageOS sync with June patches.
    older entries:

• 20171122 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync with November patches.
    • (TESTING) 20171112 (AndroidFileHost)
      @AndDiSa's latest kernel and device tweaks.
    • (TESTING) 20170811 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync including August patches.
    • 20170717 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync brings us to 7.1.2r24 ; perf tweak from @AndDiSa
    • 20170702 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync
    • 20170609 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync including June patches; Following @AndDiSa's lead to intelliactive governor, for hopefully improved battery life with minimal performance impact.
    • 20170507 (AndroidFileHost)
      Following @AndDiSa's lead to pick up a better fix for RenderThread issues from UnlegacyAndroid.
    • 20170503 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync brings us to 7.1.2_r8
    • 20170423 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync brings us to 7.1.2_r2
      Updated with @AndDiSa's kernel and device tree updates, including the RenderThread app crash fix he got from @Ziyann.
    • 20170315 (XDA)
      Updated with @AndDiSa's kernel and device tree updates.
    • 20170308 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync includes March security patches. For unknown reasons this build seems to be somewhat crashy.
    • 20170226 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync includes Feb security patches
    • 20170212 (AndroidFileHost)
      AndDiSa's kernel updates
    • 20170129 (AndroidFileHost)
      AndDiSa's kernel updates
    • 20170122 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync, including boot animation and settings updates and various other fixes here and there.
    • 20170108 (AndroidFileHost)
      Switch to Snap camera, at least for now.
    • 20170101 (AndroidFileHost)
      First LineageOS 14.1 build for grouper.
    • Unofficial CM 14.1 (XDA)
      Previous history in my CM 14.1 thread.

More detailed history: my device tree, AndDiSa's kernel, LineageOS .
    What about WiFi patch for KRACK WPA2 security vulnerabilities?
    Wanted new release with all security patches.
    Building. Just added to changelog:
    Not much testing yet, but so far this build feels faster to me. Also seems like Wifi is behaving better. What do you think?
    Try this at home

Code:
    git clone https://github.com/aperomsik/lineageos_local_manifests.git .repo/local_manifests -b cm-14.1
    repo sync -c 
    . build/envsetup.sh
    brunch grouper