*Root the Slide & Other HTC Devices*6/15/2010* How-To Updated 8/14/2010

Search This thread

elementsking

Jul 11, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
E:Can't Open /cache/recovery/command/

I've been following the instructions to the letter, but when I get into stock recovery, I get a phone with a red triangle. When I open the recovery menu to flash the update.zip, I get an error that states it can't open /cache/recovery/command/. Right before it boots into recovery, it shows up as offline for maybe a few seconds, but then it goes away again... I've formatted my sd card, and wiped the cache partition. I've even gone as far as resetting the phone, but it still won't allow me to move any further. Any ideas?

em2drvr03

Aug 11, 2009
i love this phone to death but this rooting is a pain in the ass...i did my 1st slide no problem but i cant do my gf's....it shows the device online then i get it offline...but when i plug it replug it ..it wont come up...and when i try to adb push anyway just to try it says error no devices or something like that.
Can someone give me some advice...thank you

nenonv

Jul 9, 2010
i just formatted my sdcard to fat32 and i put the card back into my phone and i still cant save apps2sdcard.
did i do something wrong or miss a step?
PLease help.

nnelson13

Aug 26, 2009
Maybe Silly Question

Couldn't an image be made like a gold card? Like was done on older devices. I may be showing my stupidity but am curious. Can't somebody make an Espr.img or whatever it looks for when first booting into recovery? Just was wondering is all. Just need a better way of rooting than what is currently available.
Thanks!

rodgerdodger

Nov 12, 2009
Help removing bloatware

Can someone help me get rid of some of this bloatware?

i got back into CW Recovery and after I adb shell... i cd to the /system/app directory and try the rm command but i keep getting Permission Denied error.

how do i do this properly?

encrypti0n

Jun 22, 2010
Glendora
why post your question in the same words pretty much in 3 different pages??? no need to fill the forum up with more stuff than is already here... in example, we have about 5 or 6 froyo request threads. is there really a need for that? no. something else you could do, if you have a question, use google or possibly the search button. sorry for taking my heat out but its starting to perturb me :*(
...im sorry? I make sure to use the search and generally dont even post all that much..

Stratis1978

Mar 28, 2010
Brooksville
I've got root now and just wanted to repeat what made the difference for me (also posted pages back):

when you're ready to run recovery in the bootloader be sure to unplug the USB from your phone until 'HBOOT' not 'HBOOT USB PLUG' displays.

So basically you unplug the phone until 'HBOOT' appears, have 'RECOVERY' highlighted, and plug the phone in a moment before you select 'RECOVERY'.

The moment I did that I had 'recovery' displaying in my loop.

Continue with the directions...

Kid Poker

Feb 22, 2008
NY
Even when I enter the fastboot mode, ADB doesn't see my device at all. I can see it when the phone is turned on. I've rooted a Nexus One a while back.

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
@Stratis I posted exactly the same thing before and I also mentioned before tips are usually buried soon after posting. Unless the tips are posted on the front page I don't think anyone really cares to look and even then sometimes they don't look.

@Kid did you install the "Android 1.0" drivers? It should ask for those once it's booted into fastboot and connected.

Stratis1978

Mar 28, 2010
Brooksville
@Stratis I posted exactly the same thing before and I also mentioned before tips are usually buried soon after posting. Unless the tips are posted on the front page I don't think anyone really cares to look and even then sometimes they don't look.

I was actually following your post back there.

So maybe that piece of information should be added somewhere in the first post or in a "tips" sticky?

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
Oh you were? >.>; hehehehe well at least it got through and helped a couple people. If it helps enough people I'm sure eugene will add it as a tip.

Sent from my ROOTED myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
Speak of the devil! Lol glad it was tip-worthy.

onyx550

Apr 3, 2007
backing up mytouch slide and rooting it?

what is the easy way to back up the tmobile usa mytouch slide and root it i want to add a few things to my mytouch slide like battery percent at the top can some one help me with a easy way thanks?

Kid Poker

Feb 22, 2008
NY

@Kid did you install the "Android 1.0" drivers? It should ask for those once it's booted into fastboot and connected.
Yes all the drivers are fully installed. I had it going the first time but I couldn't comprehend the steps so I stopped. Now I can't get back into the computer recognizing the phone when it's in hboot mode nor fastboot mode. I even partitioned my Mac into Bootcamp so I can run Windows 7 x64 to see if it was my main desktop and no good. I installed everything and still couldn't get ADB to recognize the phone in hboot or fastboot mode =(

I even wiped out my phone and thought it would help but no good on that part.

Edit: Now ADB doesn't even see my phone when connected regular under charge.

Last edited:

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
Uninstall all the drivers then plug the phone back in and reinstall them. That should fix your issue.

androidmakeheadhurt

Jul 14, 2010
UGH

Ok i need someone to walk me through all of this step by step..I have had a iphone for years now and finally got a android...I have downloaded the file and dont know where to go from here i dont even know what adb is...so you can email me chris.s.cossey@gmail.com or even text me 405 837 1536... i really want to root and cant figure it out lol thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just replaced the update.zip and started in recovery, launched update.zip and all seemed fine. I already had root though and I have my sd card full so I can't try a2sd or sdparted yet but it seemed to run fine.

Go to theunlockr.com and type in adb setup and start there.