FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,271

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th January 2017, 07:15 PM |#10091  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJS

Gents,

Will be travelling lots for my job in the next few years. Would like to get a dual-sim phone. Current phone is a Nexus 5X, which I do love, and that I got precisely because of stock Android - just about every single one of the Asian skins is complete anathema to me.

Budget is around 200 U.S., though could be convinced to spend a bit more if there's a sizeable gain to be had. Priorities : processing power, stability.

I ask here because I'm pretty sure I'll have to delve into the custom ROM scene, which I'm totally not afraid to do (I've flashed a fair number of ROMs before), but I'm afraid I might be forgetting a phone that has high community support. I know the obvious choice is OnePlus, but the 3/3T is way out of my budget.

My best options, I think, are either Redmi Note 3 or Mi5. Potentially a OnePlus 2, but those are a bit higher-priced. Any others you can think of, that are powerful and well-supported?

Cheers!

Redmi Note 3 is the best phone in your budget but if you are able to increase it for Mi5, then just go for Mi5. I have one and the build quality is amazing, it has a curved glass back which feels very premium and good to hold in hand. It also has official LineageOS. One point you should remember that the SD820 in Mi5 is underclocked to 1.8GHz max. So the performance won't be at par with other SD820 phones.

20th January 2017, 09:34 PM |#10092  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Yo guys, I'm still rocking my nexus 4 that I bought on release, but it is time to move on. What I need is something with the dev community behind the phone. I was flashing cm nightlies regularly. So, with that in mind, what would be a good choice if I wanna keep the new device just as long as the nexus 4 and be able to flash new roms with up to date security levels? Thx so far.
22nd January 2017, 07:01 PM |#10093  
Flag Peania-Greece
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Hi everyone....
I currently own a Lg G3 d855 32gb...i would rate it with 7/10 overall...i'm moatly unhappy with the camera in low light,the screen should be better and the battery life is mediocre but it has fast charge....also multiprocessing is a struggle...

What i need....
I smartphone with an equal screen, equal battery(16 hours of usage minimum),but need a better camera....
Need more processing power and i cannot give more than 270euros....

For some reason i have sticked with htc m9 ,despite the fact that i read many bad critics from short term reviews.....
I saw m9plus but it seems even worse...worse cpu,a bit better camera ,better screen but much much worse battery(if anyone owns it please pm me for i brief review and a suggestion )

A friend also has huawei p9lite which has better camera than the g3,its more powerful and its cheap too....it seems a good choice....

A would also like android updates....and need fast charge(huawei lacks that)!
I also need sd card slot....

A nice gps receiver would be a plus too.......

What are your thoughts about htc?i find the m9 for 225 and the m9plus for 275 euros...this was a flagship so has the whole package of add ons...gyro,radio,fast charge and more)

Please any other suggestion would be appreciated!!!

Στάλθηκε από το LG-D855 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
22nd January 2017, 07:06 PM |#10094  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer4x4

Thanks for the response. Is the bootloader situation the same as the G4 where I should get a T-mobile variant? If so what is the device model? I'll look into comparing specs with my Galaxy S4(TMob variant) myself but my other concern is the hardware isn't much of a step up from the SGS4. I don't need a step up but would prefer something with a bit more horsepower since it is an upgrade.

Sorry for late reply. In general I think that a T-Mo device is to be preferred. Device model is D851.
22nd January 2017, 07:12 PM |#10095  
Thanks Meter: 305

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaSpud

Sorry for late reply. In general I think that a T-Mo device is to be preferred. Device model is D851.

No worries. I made my decision about a week ago and can not be happier. It proved, as I suspected, my Galaxy S4 Sim card reader is dieing and the Sim card is fine! Also found several cm/los14.1 based roms and atheist 1 kennel although all the n roms I find are smooth as butter with out it! Trying to decide on my N based daily driver between RR, crdroid, and running AICP as we speak!
22nd January 2017, 09:47 PM |#10096  

More
Any good phones with a screen smaller than 5"? I'm still on a 1st gen Moto X. No issues with it really, but I think it may be time to upgrade. Bonus if it's made in the USA (good luck 😛).
Thanks!
23rd January 2017, 12:09 AM |#10097  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaterbu

Any good phones with a screen smaller than 5"? I'm still on a 1st gen Moto X. No issues with it really, but I think it may be time to upgrade. Bonus if it's made in the USA (good luck 😛).
Thanks!

Buy an iPhone , even though It is made in China, 99.9% of the profit out of it goes to the USA.
23rd January 2017, 02:21 AM |#10098  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer4x4

No worries. I made my decision about a week ago and can not be happier. It proved, as I suspected, my Galaxy S4 Sim card reader is dieing and the Sim card is fine! Also found several cm/los14.1 based roms and atheist 1 kennel although all the n roms I find are smooth as butter with out it! Trying to decide on my N based daily driver between RR, crdroid, and running AICP as we speak!

That's a G3 D851 then? I'm running Fulmics on this one, which has some nice features, but battery life isn't one of them. Am running stock rooted 4.4.2 on a VZW G3 (VS985) which has much better (about twice as good) battery performance.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
23rd January 2017, 02:52 AM |#10099  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
My Moto X Pure is starting to get a little buggy. Not sure if it can be solved with just a new flash of the OS or if it's time to upgrade to a new phone, but thought I'd see what's out there. My only absolutes are must be able to run on Verizon, and it needs to be able to run either the native hotspot or FoxFi (or similar) without dealing with Verizon's BS checks. If it can do that without root great, if not I need something that can be rooted. I about did a happy dance when I found the native hotspot would run on the Pure. Would also like a memory card slot so I can just move my pics and files over easily. I love this phone, but unless they're coming out with an updated version I don't see a reason to buy a two year old phone (if I have to go the purchase route). Developer edition phones are fine, I don't mind paying full price to get something that's not locked down by Big Red. I know there's the Pixel but those things are more than I'd like to spend, and don't have the memory card slot.
23rd January 2017, 03:05 AM |#10100  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amowagou

Buy an iPhone , even though It is made in China, 99.9% of the profit out of it goes to the USA.

Sorry, I figured when I asked about a good phone on XDA, it was assumed that I was limiting my search to Android devices. iOS is not a consideration for me. Thanks though.
23rd January 2017, 04:42 PM |#10101  

More
i am in doubts about a new phone too. i have a nokia 808 which is awesome at least at camera and parts that require camera. it can open any image/video known to man, even the blu-ray movies, anything up to full hd, audio is clear without distorsion, the camera is perfect. i have other phones and tablets, but nothing compares to it. i want to know if it's good to wait for the nokia's flagship or change the brand to a huawei, lg... any opinion is appreaciated, but not iphone/samsung, i hate them.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)