XZp not so waterproof - usb port vulnerable?

Search This thread

Sebi673

I've been playing around the service menu and tested the Pressure Sensor. In a solid waterproof phone, pressure should remain steady when acted upon by outside forces.

I simply tried to moderately blow some air into the USB port and there's a notable difference. Also removed the sim cap and sucked on the port. Air was clearly passing through.

I'm curious if it's just my phone with this issue in which case I'll replace it, or if it's a design fault, in which case you shouldn't submerge it.

In the screenshots you'll see the pressure difference. So please test this by accessing the service menu *#*#service#*#*, > tests > pressure sensor and simply blow some air into it. :rolleyes:

And for the giggles and ranting, there's the sony talk thread :p https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xper...s-waterproof/m-p/1237116/highlight/true#M2652

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170620-100956.png
    Screenshot_20170620-100956.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 855
  • Screenshot_20170620-101103.png
    Screenshot_20170620-101103.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 851
Last edited:

mracer164

Nov 23, 2012
I've been playing around the service menu and tested the Pressure Sensor. In a solid waterproof phone, pressure should remain steady when acted upon by outside forces.

I simply tried moderately blowing some air into the USB port and there's a notable difference. Also removed the sim cap and sucked on the port. Air was clearly passing through.

I'm curious if it's just my phone with this issue in which case I'll replace it, or if it's a design fault, in which case you shouldn't submerge it.

In the screenshots you'll see the presiune difference. So please test this by accessing the service menu *#*#service#*#*, > tests > pressure sensor and simply blow some air into it. :rolleyes:

In Xperia Z3 there was a hole in the lower-left corner that if not covered by hand also let the pressure to drop down.

I think that every phone has to have some kind of a "blow off valve" to prevent internal pressure from rising when the phone heats up to avoid damaging the seals around the screen and the back.

Note that when you cover the usb port pressure stays perfectly stable. The phone is still waterproof it just lets the internals "breathe" :D

Last edited:

Sebi673

In Xperia Z3 there was a hole in the lower-left corner that if not covered by hand also let the pressure to drop down.

I think that every phone has to have some kind of a "blow off valve" to prevent internal pressure from rising when the phone heats up to avoid damaging the seals around the screen and the back.

Note that when you cover the usb port pressure stays perfectly stable. The phone is still waterproof it just lets the internals "breathe" :D

It's far more than a simple valve. For example if you have water in the port and you blow some air to take it out, that water will actually go inside the phone. I'm asking because if ever submerged, water pressure will be far grater than my air blowing capabilities :)))) so things can get messy pretty fast.

It's far too easy to change the pressure inside it, so all I need to know is if other XZp are behaving the same way or if it's just mine.

mracer164

Nov 23, 2012
It's far more than a simple valve. For example if you have water in the port and you blow some air to take it out, that water will actually go inside the phone. I'm asking because if ever submerged, water pressure will be far grater than my air blowing capabilities :)))) so things can get messy pretty fast.

It's far too easy to change the pressure inside it, so all I need to know is if other XZp are behaving the same way or if it's just mine.

As I said Z3 behaved similarly and I have submerged this phone a couple of times and never had any problems with it. Note that air particles are much more able to squeeze through tight spaces than water.

Same principle aplies to waterproof jackets, they let the air pass through so that you wont get sweaty while at the same time the won't let water go through.

Sebi673

As I said Z3 behaved similarly and I have submerged this phone a couple of times and never had any problems with it. Note that air particles are much more able to squeeze through tight spaces than water.

Same principle aplies to waterproof jackets, they let the air pass through so that you wont get sweaty while at the same time the won't let water go through.

Yes man, I know what a valve is and how it operates in a phone. I've been having xperias for over 5 years. I'm not on Talk.sonymobile, I'm on xda. So if you can try the test whenever you can. All it takes is 1 minute.

I opened this thread because I need to see if mine has those rubber seals too loose or if it's a general and normal thing. I asked for xzp owners to try the test because on my phone air passes virtually unobstructed.

mracer164

Nov 23, 2012
Yes man, I know what a valve is and how it operates in a phone. I've been having xperias for over 5 years. I'm not on Talk.sonymobile, I'm on xda. So if you can try the test whenever you can. All it takes is 1 minute.

I opened this thread because I need to see if mine has those rubber seals too loose or if it's a general and normal thing. I asked for xzp owners to try the test because on my phone air passes virtually unobstructed.

It works for me exactly the same way as you described. Sorry I didn't mean to patronise you in any way :)

Reactions: Sebi673

Illux

Nov 6, 2010
There is a pressure regulation in every phone. The reason is the battery, in case the battery is defective (see Shamesung Note :D), it will produce gas. This gas can later inflame, hence it is important to get it out of the device.

Sebi673

There is a pressure regulation in every phone. The reason is the battery, in case the battery is defective (see Shamesung Note :D), it will produce gas. This gas can later inflame, hence it is important to get it out of the device.

I know, I just spent a lot of money on this thing and I'd rather avoid damaging it. In my opinion that valve is way too lose.

Check this video out, I do not agree with this idiotic test but in the end the phone got water damaged. Vibrator Motor is right next to the USB port which in this video it keeps on vibrating even after device is off.
https://youtu.be/Z3JUGkXXXJw?t=17m52s

I might be a bit paranoid but submerging this phone is not a good idea. Maybe something like this will help https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91LUJPpD45L._SL1500_.jpg

Sebi673

It works for me exactly the same way as you described. Sorry I didn't mean to patronise you in any way :)

I know, I'm sorry for jumping the gun. Didn't get a full night sleep. :)

I'm weary because I had Xperia XZ for a week, did the same test but the breathability on the usb port was minimum. Anyway, I'll be careful. My (very) old Xperia Z got water damaged in the pool due to a worn rubber band on the headphone jack. Damage was extensive.

Reactions: mracer164

Illux

Nov 6, 2010
I know, I just spent a lot of money on this thing and I'd rather avoid damaging it. In my opinion that valve is way too lose.

Check this video out, I do not agree with this idiotic test but in the end the phone got water damaged. Vibrator Motor is right next to the USB port which in this video it keeps on vibrating even after device is off.
https://youtu.be/Z3JUGkXXXJw?t=17m52s

I might be a bit paranoid but submerging this phone is not a good idea. Maybe something like this will help https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91LUJPpD45L._SL1500_.jpg

If damaged by submerging, I'd send it on for guarantee and request a new one. It states IP68 proof, that means 30 minutens fully submerged.

Oh and btw, the guy actually FROZE his phone for 12 hours ;).

Sebi673

If damaged by submerging, I'd send it on for guarantee and request a new one. It states IP68 proof, that means 30 minutens fully submerged.

Oh and btw, the guy actually FROZE his phone for 12 hours ;).

I know.... It's an idiotic test. But leaving that aside, it is compared to another waterproof phone which worked as good as new afterwards. So it's safe too assume that the USB might be letting in a bit more than just data and power. :D

It's a bit of a letdown, I'll wait for the teardown videos to see if they finally coated the motherboard and other boards against water ingress. Just like you see in the iphone and samsung.

Illux

Nov 6, 2010
I know.... It's an idiotic test. But leaving that aside, it is compared to another waterproof phone which worked as good as new afterwards. So it's safe too assume that the USB might be letting in a bit more than just data and power. :D

It's a bit of a letdown, I'll wait for the teardown videos to see if they finally coated the motherboard and other boards against water ingress. Just like you see in the iphone and samsung.

Well, I'm the kinda guy who tries out things if promised :D. What I can tell you, my phone spent a fair amount of time submerged already, I always wanted to try out underwater video recording. No real sense in it, but it's fun :D.

Still working and it's drying real quick.

Sebi673

Well, I'm the kinda guy who tries out things if promised :D. What I can tell you, my phone spent a fair amount of time submerged already, I always wanted to try out underwater video recording. No real sense in it, but it's fun :D.

Still working and it's drying real quick.

I know it's fun, it's even more so when you wash it in the sink in front of people haha. Can you please do me a solid and test the pressure sensor while blowing air into the usb? like I tried - 2 cm away, full lung pressure on the usb, and tell me if that pressure rapidly moves up. It will help me sleep better at night after I wash the thing haha.

Illux

Nov 6, 2010
I know it's fun, it's even more so when you wash it in the sink in front of people haha. Can you please do me a solid and test the pressure sensor while blowing air into the usb? like I tried - 2 cm away, full lung pressure on the usb, and tell me if that pressure rapidly moves up. It will help me sleep better at night after I wash the thing haha.

I'll do so in 13 minutes, im currently running a battery test. Just as side note, Amazon Underground seems to drain battery like hell on 7.1.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Ok, done. Pressure going up rapidly. Consider it normal.

Sebi673

I'll do so in 13 minutes, im currently running a battery test. Just as side note, Amazon Underground seems to drain battery like hell on 7.1.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

YAY!!!! Paranoid Parrot now returning to its cage :victory:

sonyisall

Jun 21, 2017
I have the same problem and my xzp had water damaged,they changed me a new one which still have this problem....I will not try twice.Maybe this is a manufacturing problem.

SUPERSLEDZ

Oct 21, 2010
Forgive me my ignorance. I know it's stupid question and I know answer will be yes, but it's always worth double checking.
So I can submerge xz premium without any usb/jack and other ports covers as they were just designed to be able to handle that?

Illux

Nov 6, 2010
Forgive me my ignorance. I know it's stupid question and I know answer will be yes, but it's always worth double checking.
So I can submerge xz premium without any usb/jack and other ports covers as they were just designed to be able to handle that?

Yes, that is the idea behind IP68 certification. I dumped my phone in the pool yesterday, just for fun. Just PLEASE make sure to dry the phone before charging it. I know that sounds stupid but there is some photos around of ppl claiming their devices just started burning. Due to the nature of energy transport in USB-C 3.1, that is almost impossible - unless you short-circuit it with water :D.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I know, I'm sorry for jumping the gun. Didn't get a full night sleep. :)

I'm weary because I had Xperia XZ for a week, did the same test but the breathability on the usb port was minimum. Anyway, I'll be careful. My (very) old Xperia Z got water damaged in the pool due to a worn rubber band on the headphone jack. Damage was extensive.

Mine does the same