LG G3 Camera

Search This thread

al52025

Aug 25, 2009
So how bad is the 60fps while in a low light condition? I'm thinking of getting the g3 but the 60fps on the g2 was terrible when not outside with the brightest light available?

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
So how bad is the 60fps while in a low light condition? I'm thinking of getting the g3 but the 60fps on the g2 was terrible when not outside with the brightest light available?
You shouldn't use 60fps in low light, it needs a really high ISO which makes the quality horrible when not in bright light.

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011
http://mysimplepleasure.com/ some lg g3 promotion site with plenty and funny G3 pixs

The question I need to pose to the community is this; is the S5 capable of taking a photo of a moving object (slowly) in good lighting and getting both the focus right and the shutter speed fast enough to not blur the image?
Of course not, see the review http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-g3s-laser-equipped-camera-put-to-the-test/ LG G3 has fastest focus and shutter speed out there, miles higher than all Galaxy s1ht

Why is my ancient Rezound capable, but my G2 and G3 not capable of this?
Bcause Rezound just took trash photos of poor quality and if you'll try to make similar photos with Rezound you'll get blurr everywhere

Last edited:

lukester01

Feb 10, 2012
another rigged review?

I used that review as justification to purchase the camera. The faster focus never helped ot capture a moving object without blur. In fact most of the S5 photos I believe look better. I found a more scientific review that actually compared shutter speeds and it is clear that the F2. 2 lenses and larger sensor of the S5 do better with motion capture. Even with flash they showed that the S5 would take a photo 1/33 with the LG going to 1/25. Science doesn't lie. Bigger sensor, faster lense, and better choices combined with modes that allow you to prioritize shutter make for a camera that can capture a moving object, to an extent, without blur. My old Sony point and shoot would always choose 1/25 for Flash also and it makes for blur if the subject moves.

You must not have had a Rezound because it was a very good camera phone. Wife used it as a veternarian to take dog eye pictures and it rarely blurred an image even with the animal moving.

tom13mcpherson

Nov 6, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra
The real question is if they have improved the camera in low-light conditions with moving objects. The LG G2 stock camera suffered BADLY in trying to shoot pictures of moving objects in low light conditions.

In addition, the stock G2 camera denoising algorithm was way too aggressive leading to watercolor-like pictures, again especially in low-light.

Glad they tried to address the slow focus issue with the G2 by implementing laser focus.

This is exactly what I am experiencing on my G3. Can anybody direct me to a thread where they are discussing a solution to this issue of de-noising or watercolor-like pictures?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The real question is if they have improved the camera in low-light conditions with moving objects. The LG G2 stock camera suffered BADLY in trying to shoot pictures of moving objects in low light conditions.

In addition, the stock G2 camera denoising algorithm was way too aggressive leading to watercolor-like pictures, again especially in low-light.

Glad they tried to address the slow focus issue with the G2 by implementing laser focus.

Photographer here -- unfortunately, in low light with ANY smartphone you'll have difficulty capturing a moving object. With low light, you require a longer shutter speed, and depending on how fast the object is moving, you're guaranteed to have blur. Whether your phone is hand held or on a tripod does not matter -- the motion is relative to the camera, not the camera itself.

In low light to be able to effectively capture a moving object with no blur you will need a large sensor camera (e.g. DSLR APS-C or m4/3) and fast (large aperture) lens. Smartphones have small sensors and can't capture as much light which therefore requires lengthening the shutter speed to allow enough light in to expose the scene properly. Similarly, they can't use higher ISO (sensitivity) to keep the shutter speed short either due to having excessive noise at comparable ISO levels.

The exception to this is a good flash. With a good flash you can use a faster shutter speed and be able to "freeze motion" better. Of course, the flashes on phones are underpowered and will only help you out if you're reasonably close to whatever you're trying to capture.

Just to give some examples, in lower light situations small sensor cameras pretty much have to use a 1/30s or longer shutter speed. Any object that's moving faster than a snail's pace will therefore have blur. On the other hand, with a large sensor camera and fast lens, you can realistically increase your ISO to say 6400 if you have a fast moving object and set your shutter speed to 1/200s and fire away.

Another issue is that we really don't have effective control over shutter speed on smartphones. Hopefully this will come eventually with Android's new API (along with RAW support). Sure, most people don't know how to shoot in manual mode but for those who do it's very helpful. I believe many phone manufacturers include a "sports" or "action" mode that will prioritize shutter speed over ISO (and no idea if the G2 has a similar mode), but still there's only so much it can do with a small sensor in a situation where the physics just aren't in its favor. Smartphones are great in good light, but if low light is a priority, a dedicated camera is the only solution.
    lg isnt winning anything in the low light picture war. NOKIA is. i havent tried the g3 myself but my lumia 920 wipes the floor with my g2 in daylight and low light photos.

If i had to use a windows phone to get a good camera i would not have a camera

Sent from my SM-G900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Of course, glad to hear it was understandable.

With all that said, what do I think of the G3's camera so far? Well first off, OIS is critical when you're not shooting outdoors and not using a tripod (due to the shutter speeds as I explained above). No other Android flagship has OIS which is quite a shame, so based on that the G3 is already starting ahead of the pack. The benefit of this is clearly demonstrated in PhoneArena's samples compared to the Galaxy S5. Due to the indoor lighting, the S5's shots appear to lack detail because of the blur induced by a long shutter speed that's not stabilized optically. Meanwhile, the G3's are tack sharp. Their samples are more of a "real world" demonstration compared to many smartphone camera reviews where they have the indoors shots stabilized on a tripod. Having the phones on a tripod eliminates the reviewer's shaky hands from affecting results, but it also hides the necessity of OIS for low light photos. 99% of the time we're not using a tripod with our smartphones.

From samples I've seen so far, LG appears to have gotten their software processing down pretty well -- way better than the G2. White balance and exposure seem to be handled well, and photos seem to have better saturation than the G2.

The G3 also appears to have a wider angle lens than the S5, and I appreciate that its sensor is 4:3 rather than 16:9. 16:9 may fill up your entire screen when framing the shot, but if shooting in landscape mode you're really losing out on vertical height (and vice versa if oriented in portrait you're not getting much horizontally). The G3 without a doubt fits more into the frame due to both the lens angle and 4:3 aspect ratio.

With the OIS and good software processing, at this point the G3's camera looks to be the most promising of any Android device. I'll wait for more samples to make a firm conclusion, but again, the G3 is more compelling than anything else right now.

Edit: correction the Nexus 5 also has OIS, but of course it's also made by LG
    Ref the manual control of White Balance, Exposure & ISO
    I have heard back from one of our members who at my request kindly installed Camera FV-5 on his G3.
    It is confirmed both WB and Exposure work fine with third-party camera apps.
    ISO however remains locked out.
    My view on G3,Sorry to break ice about camera but here are facts :
    1. There is no laser in g3 but laserish IR light that gets detected by camera to focus for near objects.
    2. No practical use in daylight.
    3. Useless to detect & focus on far objects - let's check when reviews comes for range. Depends on how powerful ir included.
    4. Same camera hardware except Lewis software promotion.

These are simple practical physics facts of camera working.
    Just info share no offense [emoji89]

Helping Others is helping Ourself

Helping Others is helping Ourself
    what did u think it had? a laser from a gun