[Q] Mic problem during calls

Search This thread

ornoktree

Oct 8, 2011
Hi,

New to this forum. Hope someone can help me out. I've got a new Samsung Galaxy S3 T999 unlocked running Android 4.3, and I've got a problem with the mic. I can hear the other person during calls, but they can't hear me, unless I put my mouth directly over the mic hole and speak into it (so I have to be holding the phone perpendicular to my mouth and speak to the bottom of the phone). Even putting my mouth close to the home button doesn't work; the phone has to be perpendicular to my mouth. I'm getting same issue with Voice recording (ie. no sound recorded unless I put my mouth directly over the mic hole at the bottom), but the phone has no problems picking up audio when I record videos.

Things I've tried that don't work:
- Soft reset, and hard factory reset
- Turning off Motion completely (so proximity sensors everything are blanked out anyway or off)
- Noise reduction is off
- TTY is off
- Turn all sounds off (under Accessibility) is unselected
- Wifi calling is off
- Using speakerphone doesn't work (they can't hear me either)
- No pinky or anything blocking the mic
- I've tried cleaning out the mic hole with a needle but nothing comes out. Not sure if there's a specific way of doing it, but I gently put the needle in and jiggle it about, then withdraw it, but nothing comes out. For reference, I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 that's 2 years old with dust around its mic hole and I have no problems whatsoever with calls on that).

I can't downgrade to any other firmware cos mine is stuck on Android 4.3, and I'm just short of disassembling my phone and seeing if there really is anything physically blocking the mic hole that the needle maybe didn't clear. What I don't get is, if it were really a physical blockage of the mic hole, wouldn't that also affect the audio recording when I take a video? Audio is loud and clear when I record a video and narrate with the phone at half-arm's length from me...

Any help most appreciated!

Thanks!

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Maybe something loose that is only connecting when you hold it certain ways. Have you considered replacing the Mic? I believe the part is only a few bucks.

anil2653

Hi,

New to this forum. Hope someone can help me out. I've got a new Samsung Galaxy S3 T999 unlocked running Android 4.3, and I've got a problem with the mic. I can hear the other person during calls, but they can't hear me, unless I put my mouth directly over the mic hole and speak into it (so I have to be holding the phone perpendicular to my mouth and speak to the bottom of the phone). Even putting my mouth close to the home button doesn't work; the phone has to be perpendicular to my mouth.

I can't downgrade to any other firmware cos mine is stuck on Android 4.3, and I'm just short of disassembling my phone and seeing if there really is anything physically blocking the mic hole that the needle maybe didn't clear. What I don't get is, if it were really a physical blockage of the mic hole, wouldn't that also affect the audio recording when I take a video? Audio is loud and clear when I record a video and narrate with the phone at half-arm's length from me...

Thanks!
You are not alone having this issue with 4.3. I too have this issue read

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2789017

my thread on same issue and try flashing 4.1.2 Rom in recovery (not to go for full Rom through Odin which may result in brick) and see if your issue remains

I am also on latest bootloader and modem and using 4.1.2 and don't have this issue on older Rom
Hi,

New to this forum. Hope someone can help me out. I've got a new Samsung Galaxy S3 T999 unlocked running Android 4.3, and I've got a problem with the mic. I can hear the other person during calls, but they can't hear me, unless I put my mouth directly over the mic hole and speak into it (so I have to be holding the phone perpendicular to my mouth and speak to the bottom of the phone). Even putting my mouth close to the home button doesn't work; the phone has to be perpendicular to my mouth. I'm getting same issue with Voice recording (ie. no sound recorded unless I put my mouth directly over the mic hole at the bottom), but the phone has no problems picking up audio when I record videos.

Things I've tried that don't work:
- Soft reset, and hard factory reset
- Turning off Motion completely (so proximity sensors everything are blanked out anyway or off)
- Noise reduction is off
- TTY is off
- Turn all sounds off (under Accessibility) is unselected
- Wifi calling is off
- Using speakerphone doesn't work (they can't hear me either)
- No pinky or anything blocking the mic
- I've tried cleaning out the mic hole with a needle but nothing comes out. Not sure if there's a specific way of doing it, but I gently put the needle in and jiggle it about, then withdraw it, but nothing comes out. For reference, I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 that's 2 years old with dust around its mic hole and I have no problems whatsoever with calls on that).

Thanks!

Jun 19, 2014
Do you have headphones plugged in when this issues occurs? I've had issues with people hearing me during a call when I have headphones plugged in; unplugging them solved the problem.

If not, try plugging in headphones when you're in a call and see if that changes anything.

anil2653

Do you have headphones plugged in when this issues occurs? I've had issues with people hearing me during a call when I have headphones plugged in; unplugging them solved the problem.

If not, try plugging in headphones when you're in a call and see if that changes anything.
No I don't use head phones and without headphones I am having call issue on all TouchWiz 4.3 roms only on outgoing calls but incoming calls I don't have any issues and also on AOSP Roms also mostly no issue

ornoktree

Oct 8, 2011
Thanks for your replies. Sorry have been busy with other things and was using my older S2 since the S3 was giving me problems.

Anil2653, what do you mean by flashing 4.1.2 Rom in recovery? Do I need to root my device to do this? Or what are the specific steps?

TIA!