[ROOT] Single Step - Flash Samsung/CWM Recovery + Root + OTA Recovery Backup

Search This thread

Great Offender

Feb 22, 2011
Houston, Texas
Yep i got that, but i want to also know: are u using Cwm or modified samsung recovery? And if it is modified samsung recovery, can u make nandroid backups with it?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Sorry, I couldn't help myself and that's why I gave myself the name "Great Offender". but......
Since he says his english is bad there is not a lot of instruction. Here's my take:
For the 3100 there are at least 3 versions. 2 offer CWM (2 different versions) and one with the Samsung recovery. I don't have experience with the Samsung recoveries because I am impatient and root them before I take the time to look. Any reason you would want to stay with the Samsung recovery?

Reactions: jj_95nano

ketut.kumajaya

Recognized Developer
Apr 28, 2011
Bekasi
Samsung recovery version have no nandroid backup capability, it is just a modified original Samsung recovery to accept update.zip signed by google test key. Thanks for community support to this thread. May be I will update to the latest CWM and root in the near future.

jj_95nano

Sep 9, 2012
Sorry, I couldn't help myself and that's why I gave myself the name "Great Offender". but......
Since he says his english is bad there is not a lot of instruction. Here's my take:
For the 3100 there are at least 3 versions. 2 offer CWM (2 different versions) and one with the Samsung recovery. I don't have experience with the Samsung recoveries because I am impatient and root them before I take the time to look. Any reason you would want to stay with the Samsung recovery?

Chill out. :p
The only reason I wanted Samsung recovtry is because I don't want problems like WiFi dropping and not being able to update via OTA ... but if you say OTA works even with CWm... I'm gonna flash it ASAP.:D

Great Offender

Feb 22, 2011
Houston, Texas
Chill out? I was joking. I would never take myself too seriously on a board like this when there are so many others that live for it.
CWM would not affect wifi as that would be more of a rom or kernel issue.
Yes, I did manage to flash one out of 2 rooted tabs with OTA so I only have a %50 success rate. I can only speak to my minor victories so I indeed wish you luck. If there's one thing I hate it's that "pucker" feeling right before I undertake something like this.
Relax, deep breath, than pull the trigger!

Great Offender

Feb 22, 2011
Houston, Texas
I hate to sound critical but this has to be the worst tutorial I've ever seen. There are multiple files but no clear instructions on what to do or where to start. Can someone please post a clear set of instructions on how to root this thing?

You are right about the lack of instruction so I will give you my limited knowledge. I have been rooting devices for years but I am fairly new to Odin. This file structure is only easier because it is done with one step rather than 2. If you don't understand something I write then try one of the other methods for more clarity.

1. Download Odin https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zl96kf51lgue1lg/cVLNzgb5es
2. Download the file specific to your device 31xx. *Some files have different recoveries and different version #'s. For me I wanted CWM recovery, SuperSu, and Busybox.
3. Place both downloads in a folder or the desktop together and unzip.
4. Install Kies software on your PC. Although you will not be using it, it will have the drivers necessary to recognize your tab.
5. Turn your tab off then hold the volume button down and press the power button, holding them both until you get the yellow screen. Press the volume button up to put into download mode.
6. Make sure Kies is not running and you have disabled virus software.
7. Start Odin. Uncheck F. Reset and make sure Reboot IS checked. Connect tab to PC and you should see the Id.com button populate with a com number. The exact number is not important.
8. Check the box next to PDA then click PDA and select the .tar file you chose for your device. Click start.....
9. You should see the top left box start to change color and you will see a progress bar. When it is done it will say PASS and the device will restart. Disconnect the device and check to see if you have SuperSu in your apps. You can also power off and reboot holding the power button and the volume button "up" to see if the device goes into recovery.
\

You can always PM me if you need more info. Will be at work till 6am.

jj_95nano

Sep 9, 2012
Chill out? I was joking. I would never take myself too seriously on a board like this when there are so many others that live for it.
CWM would not affect wifi as that would be more of a rom or kernel issue.
Yes, I did manage to flash one out of 2 rooted tabs with OTA so I only have a %50 success rate. I can only speak to my minor victories so I indeed wish you luck. If there's one thing I hate it's that "pucker" feeling right before I undertake something like this.
Relax, deep breath, than pull the trigger!

Lol...
I finally flashed Cwm. No problems at all. You seem to know better than the op himself.:p

Great Offender

Feb 22, 2011
Houston, Texas
Thank you Offender. I found another set of instructions and followed those instead but thank you.

Sent from my EVO using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Your too kind!
Don't let anyone think there is something wrong with his post because his files are solid. They work and they work well it's just that his OP has kind of a genius with OCD feel to it. It's just all over the place but his work is well done!

Reactions: ketut.kumajaya

rraaka

Sep 8, 2010
yes, I agree, ketut's contributions are all very good. when i ask a doubt in his thread the last person i expect to reply is ketut but i ask anyway :p

the title says single step coz you just have to use one file . i used P3100_CWM_RECOVERY-6.0.1.3_SUPERSU-0.96_BUSYBOX-1.20.2.tar.md5
through pc odin in download mode and got root on JB 411. I believe it works for 412 also. You get a yellow triangle but you can use CF's Triangle Away to get rid of it later. you can upgrade your recovery after that to the latest through mobile odin or rom manager i believe.

ketut.kumajaya

Recognized Developer
Apr 28, 2011
Bekasi
Your too kind!
Don't let anyone think there is something wrong with his post because his files are solid. They work and they work well it's just that his OP has kind of a genius with OCD feel to it. It's just all over the place but his work is well done!

yes, I agree, ketut's contributions are all very good. when i ask a doubt in his thread the last person i expect to reply is ketut but i ask anyway :p

the title says single step coz you just have to use one file . i used P3100_CWM_RECOVERY-6.0.1.3_SUPERSU-0.96_BUSYBOX-1.20.2.tar.md5
through pc odin in download mode and got root on JB 411. I believe it works for 412 also. You get a yellow triangle but you can use CF's Triangle Away to get rid of it later. you can upgrade your recovery after that to the latest through mobile odin or rom manager i believe.

A good stuff with bad packaging :laugh:

Reactions: rraaka

lx1226

Jan 18, 2012
Thanks. I rooted my P3113 with JB installed. It went smoothly.

One question, if I flash P3113_SAMSUNG_RECOVERY_SUPERSU-0.96_BUSYBOX-1.20.2.tar.md5.zip
Will it accept update from Samsung?

Flash the *.tar.md5 file using Odin3 v1.87 as PDA or Heimdall (extract cache.img and recovery.img in *.tar.md5 file first). Make sure "Re-Partition" and "F. Reset Time" unchecked, "Auto Reboot" checked!

• SuperSU v0.96 from Chainfire, SuperSU: "su" in "adb shell" without any prompt!
  • ClockWorkMod recovery 6.0.1.1
  • BusyBox v1.20.2-cm9
  • Remove all existing root and busybox before installing the new one
  • Fix busybox symlink, prevent it conflict to Android toolbox
  • sysrw and sysro script for remounting /system read write or read only
  • Backup /etc/install-recovery.sh script to /etc/install-recovery.sh.backup and /system/recovery-from-boot.p patch to /system/recovery-from-boot.p.backup if exists, so we can restore it if necessary
  • Single step for ClockWorkMod recovery and root!

UPDATE 17/09/2012:
- P3100 CWM recovery 6.0.1.3
- P3110 & P3113 CWM recovery 6.0.1.1
- P3113 Samsung recovery repacked from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1887077, thanks ruben00.

UPDATE 15/09/2012:
A modified Samsung recovery, now accept an update package signed by Google's testkey. The idea came from Chainfire's CF-Root. BIG THANKS for Chainfire.

UPDATE:
Recovery for P3110 or P3113 can be combined with my own cache.img for one-step recovery and root installation. Extract appropriate recovery and use heimdall to flash your device:
Code:
$ sudo heimdall flash --recovery recovery.img --cache cache.img
or create ODIN flashable package:
Code:
$ tar -H ustar -c cache.img recovery.img > CWM-6.0.1.1-SuperSU-0.96-BusyBox-1.20.2-P3110.tar
$ md5sum -t CWM-6.0.1.1-SuperSU-0.96-BusyBox-1.20.2-P3110.tar >> CWM-6.0.1.1-SuperSU-0.96-BusyBox-1.20.2-P3110.tar
$ mv CWM-6.0.1.1-SuperSU-0.96-BusyBox-1.20.2-P3110.tar CWM-6.0.1.1-SuperSU-0.96-BusyBox-1.20.2-P3110.tar.md5
Boot to Windows and flash using ODIN.

Tested on leaked 4.1.1 JellyBean for GT-P3100.

TIP:
- Disable notification in SuperSU settings!
- Reset the flash counter using Triangle Away from Chainfire
- Since my English very bad, you can follow [How To] ROOT- Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 [GT-P5113 / 5100 / 5110 & 4.0.4 UPGRADE or OEM] as a reference, thanks weltwon

Credit:
Google, Samsung, koush, Chainfire, codeworkx, dsixda, weltwon

Unroot and restore back 4.1.1 JellyBean stock OTA recovery:
  1. Disconnect from PC and power off P3100
  2. Boot P3100 to recovery mode (VOLUME UP + POWER)
  3. Connect P3100 to PC
  4. Extract signed_root_p3100.zip
  5. Copy cleaner script to P3100 and then unroot P3100:
    Code:
    $ adb push cleaner /tmp/
    $ adb shell
    # busybox mount /system
    # busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
    # busybox mount /data
    # busybox mount -o remount,rw /data
    # busybox mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p.backup /system/recovery-from-boot.p
    # busybox mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.backup /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    # sh /tmp/cleaner
    # umount /system
    # umount /data
  6. Reboot from recovery menu.

Great Offender

Feb 22, 2011
Houston, Texas
Thanks. I rooted my P3113 with JB installed. It went smoothly.

One question, if I flash P3113_SAMSUNG_RECOVERY_SUPERSU-0.96_BUSYBOX-1.20.2.tar.md5.zip
Will it accept update from Samsung?
Mixed results with this. I rooted two 3113's at the same time and used the 4.1.1 OTA update 5 minutes later. One took the OTA and stayed rooted while the other had to be done through Kies and I lost root. No problem, just reflashed using this method and was back in business.

Only difference between the two was one had a clean/empty formatted sd card and the other had a used partitioned sd. Should not make a difference but the partitioned sd was the one that would not take the OTA???

I'm sure by the time Samsung gets around to any further updates our talented "rooters" will have devised a new course of action.

iamsavedme30

Nov 13, 2010
Columbus
I'm sorry but I am really confused as to which of these to use. Which should I download...and all I need is one..correct?

Do I put the grab zip on my sd card.. And then flash it after I Odin.

To not take up space in the thread.. Could someone please PM me the steps they took.. I'm sure they were clear... But I don't understand them.. This would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ketut.kumajaya

Recognized Developer
Apr 28, 2011
Bekasi
Reactions: iamsavedme30

ketut.kumajaya

Recognized Developer
Apr 28, 2011
Bekasi
That helps a little.. But aren't I supposed to put the grab2 file on my sd card in the device.. Or does the clock work mod version already do that?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

Extract the *.zip file first and then flash the *tar.md5 file using ODIN. Do not load any *.pit file!

Reactions: iamsavedme30

zedbra

Sep 16, 2010
@ketut excellent job re-packing the files to include CWM and Root!! much appreciated:)

i found the guide rather easy to follow, although it's easy for those who understand how things work. LOL

i do have one question tho...
how did you dump the Cache.img ?? was it "dd if=cache/recovery/last_log of=/mnt/sdcard/cache.img bs=4096" ??

TIA:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flash the *.tar.md5 file using Odin3 v1.87 as PDA or Heimdall (extract cache.img and recovery.img in *.tar.md5 file first). Make sure "Re-Partition" and "F. Reset Time" unchecked, "Auto Reboot" checked!

• SuperSU v0.96 from Chainfire, SuperSU: "su" in "adb shell" without any prompt!
    • ClockWorkMod recovery 6.0.1.1
    • BusyBox v1.20.2-cm9
    • Remove all existing root and busybox before installing the new one
    • Fix busybox symlink, prevent it conflict to Android toolbox
    • sysrw and sysro script for remounting /system read write or read only
    • Backup /etc/install-recovery.sh script to /etc/install-recovery.sh.backup and /system/recovery-from-boot.p patch to /system/recovery-from-boot.p.backup if exists, so we can restore it if necessary
    • Single step for ClockWorkMod recovery and root!

Luigi2012SM64DS video tutorial: http://youtu.be/pAvze-VNzj8

UPDATE 16/01/2013:
    - P3100 CWM recovery 6.0.2.7, SuperSU 0.99

UPDATE 17/09/2012:
    - P3100 CWM recovery 6.0.1.3
    - P3110 & P3113 CWM recovery 6.0.1.1
    - P3113 Samsung recovery repacked from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1887077, thanks ruben00.

UPDATE 15/09/2012:
    A modified Samsung recovery, now accept an update package signed by Google's testkey. The idea came from Chainfire's CF-Root. BIG THANKS for Chainfire.

UPDATE:
    Recovery for P3110 or P3113 can be combined with my own cache.img for one-step recovery and root installation. Extract appropriate recovery and use heimdall to flash your device:
    Code:
    Code:
    $ tar -H ustar -c cache.img recovery.img > CWM-6.0.1.1-SuperSU-0.96-BusyBox-1.20.2-P3110.tar
    $ md5sum -t CWM-6.0.1.1-SuperSU-0.96-BusyBox-1.20.2-P3110.tar >> CWM-6.0.1.1-SuperSU-0.96-BusyBox-1.20.2-P3110.tar
    $ mv CWM-6.0.1.1-SuperSU-0.96-BusyBox-1.20.2-P3110.tar CWM-6.0.1.1-SuperSU-0.96-BusyBox-1.20.2-P3110.tar.md5

Tested on leaked 4.1.1 JellyBean for GT-P3100.

TIP:
    - Disable notification in SuperSU settings!
    - Reset the flash counter using Triangle Away from Chainfire
    - Since my English very bad, you can follow [How To] ROOT- Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 [GT-P5113 / 5100 / 5110 & 4.0.4 UPGRADE or OEM] as a reference, thanks weltwon

Credit:
    Google, Samsung, koush, Chainfire, codeworkx, dsixda, weltwon

Unroot and restore back 4.1.1 JellyBean stock OTA recovery:
    1. Disconnect from PC and power off P3100
    2. Boot P3100 to recovery mode (VOLUME UP + POWER)
    3. Connect P3100 to PC
    4. Extract signed_root_p3100.zip
    5. Copy cleaner script to P3100 and then unroot P3100:
      Code:
      $ adb push cleaner /tmp/
      $ adb shell
      # busybox mount /system
      # busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
      # busybox mount /data
      # busybox mount -o remount,rw /data
      # busybox mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p.backup /system/recovery-from-boot.p
      # busybox mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.backup /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
      # sh /tmp/cleaner
      # umount /system
      # umount /data
    6. Reboot from recovery menu.
    348 + 65 downloads = 6 thanks, c'mon don't be a leech!
    I hate to sound critical but this has to be the worst tutorial I've ever seen. There are multiple files but no clear instructions on what to do or where to start. Can someone please post a clear set of instructions on how to root this thing?

You are right about the lack of instruction so I will give you my limited knowledge. I have been rooting devices for years but I am fairly new to Odin. This file structure is only easier because it is done with one step rather than 2. If you don't understand something I write then try one of the other methods for more clarity.

1. Download Odin https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zl96kf51lgue1lg/cVLNzgb5es
    2. Download the file specific to your device 31xx. *Some files have different recoveries and different version #'s. For me I wanted CWM recovery, SuperSu, and Busybox.
    3. Place both downloads in a folder or the desktop together and unzip.
    4. Install Kies software on your PC. Although you will not be using it, it will have the drivers necessary to recognize your tab.
    5. Turn your tab off then hold the volume button down and press the power button, holding them both until you get the yellow screen. Press the volume button up to put into download mode.
    6. Make sure Kies is not running and you have disabled virus software.
    7. Start Odin. Uncheck F. Reset and make sure Reboot IS checked. Connect tab to PC and you should see the Id.com button populate with a com number. The exact number is not important.
    8. Check the box next to PDA then click PDA and select the .tar file you chose for your device. Click start.....
    9. You should see the top left box start to change color and you will see a progress bar. When it is done it will say PASS and the device will restart. Disconnect the device and check to see if you have SuperSu in your apps. You can also power off and reboot holding the power button and the volume button "up" to see if the device goes into recovery.
    \

You can always PM me if you need more info. Will be at work till 6am.
    Cheers!! :thumbup::D:beer: will try later

Edit** worked great!! Thank you :thumbup: 1+

Sent from my GT-P3100 using xda app-developers app
    One-step recovery and root installation for P3110 or P3113

UPDATE:
    Code:
    Code: