[Q] change band on 4.2.2

Search This thread

testerman123

Aug 19, 2010
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck changing the band on any of the 4.2.2-based roms?
to be sure, i mean making the band "3g" only by dialing *#*#2263#*#* and then changing the band.
In all the 4.2.2 based roms i have tried, trying to go into service mode by any means results in an empty service mode screen with no options to select from.

my need to change the band is so that i can get out of the perpetual "H" or "H+" mode that eats my battery like no tomorrow.

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck changing the band on any of the 4.2.2-based roms?
to be sure, i mean making the band "3g" only by dialing *#*#2263#*#* and then changing the band.
In all the 4.2.2 based roms i have tried, trying to go into service mode by any means results in an empty service mode screen with no options to select from.

my need to change the band is so that i can get out of the perpetual "H" or "H+" mode that eats my battery like no tomorrow.

If you are using the ATT network, then I'm afraid you are stuck with the automatic band selection you are seeing now.
ATT networks are RAT restricted for this generation of device, and manual band changes cannot be made, regardless of the ROM you are using.

How nice it would be to drop back to an edge 2g connection at work and enjoy the battery life, like I could only 1 year ago using my inspire 4g, But the note will not allow it on this network.
Several other networks are able to change at will.......(C'mon ATT !! Seriously ??)........sorry......g

Reactions: Demmonnixx

Demmonnixx

Mar 20, 2013
Its screen time/ brightness that eats battery. Why would H to H+ affect the battery? That change is an indicator of signal strength/distance to tower not what your modem is doing.

That's what I was thinking. Kind of noob around here and with this whole rooted and rom thing but I'm liking it. Haven't had alot of time to search around but is there a way to change the screen time? i know the brightness yes but wasn't sure about screen time. Sorry if a stupid que:confused:stion

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
That's what I was thinking. Kind of noob around here and with this whole rooted and rom thing but I'm liking it. Haven't had alot of time to search around but is there a way to change the screen time? i know the brightness yes but wasn't sure about screen time. Sorry if a stupid que:confused:stion

Change screen time by using screen less.:(
Less brightness is easy using the slider on the status bar.

testerman123

Aug 19, 2010
Change screen time by using screen less.:(
Less brightness is easy using the slider on the status bar.

While i agree that screen time has a lot to do with this, i am talking about battery being eaten away without the screen being on - like 6%-12% drain per hour range. This is probably network related. For example, in my tests, keeping the radio on an LTE band would induce such battery drains. For comparative purposes, on the blackstar xi rom i was on before, battery drain was ~1.5% per hour range when screen off.
Just in case someone is wondering, these numbers are based on fresh installs (after full wipes x2) of several of the latest 4.2.2 roms (the latest (3/13, i think) collective rom included). the brightness is set around the 10% range. and the percentages are taken after the rom has had a chance to "settle down" (i.e. maybe 5-6 hours into it).
Also, in case someone was wondering, i have tried resetting the battery stats when installing a couple of roms (although this should be a non-issue) without any effect on the battery life.
Furthermore, there is a preponderance of evidence to support the 3g/H/H+ battery saving method (for quick summary, google *#301279#)

gregsarg - im on bell network in Canada.

Thanks for your comments so far, guys. keep 'em coming.
Also, it would be great if you guys could share some of your battery drain experiences with the new 4.2.2 roms. Perhaps stating the rom name/version, whether data is always on, and any battery saving apps/tips/tricks used?

Edit: Another thought is CPU usage - and ive tried underclocking, trying diff kernels and governors just to get marginal benefits.

Last edited:

Agoattamer

Jan 25, 2010
PA
What baseband are you using? Try installing a Canadian ICS baseband/modem and see if that allows you to change your bands. They are not locked like ATT modems.

testerman123

Aug 19, 2010
Uclf6.. I think that's the att one.

Latest Canadian ICS modem i could find was Uclf4. Let me try that.

Is the latest ucmb (sp?) Modem locked too?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Actually, i also wanted to find what sort of drain are others seeing with data on, screen off?

Last edited:

testerman123

Aug 19, 2010
Latest Canadian modems can be downloaded from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1801689

Any modem that was released with at&t ROMs will be restricted. Canadian released modems or the Singapore ROM modem should allow band switching.

Thanks Agoattamer and rangercaptain. I tried MUGLF4 since im on bell - still no dice with the band menu.

*#*#BAND#*#* shows up as a blank screen.
7emunare.jpg

*#*#DATA#*#* > Phone information > [MENU] > "select radio band" shows a blank box as well.
5ymapada.jpg

any other ideas? maybe its a rom thing..

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you are using the ATT network, then I'm afraid you are stuck with the automatic band selection you are seeing now.
    ATT networks are RAT restricted for this generation of device, and manual band changes cannot be made, regardless of the ROM you are using.

How nice it would be to drop back to an edge 2g connection at work and enjoy the battery life, like I could only 1 year ago using my inspire 4g, But the note will not allow it on this network.
    Several other networks are able to change at will.......(C'mon ATT !! Seriously ??)........sorry......g