Nook install in a Jeep Wrangler

Search This thread

craigbru

May 6, 2011
Guess we both had similar things in mind, only I never got around to it controlling my stereo :p

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/60-mobile-electronics/327322-some-recent-changes.html

Great! Thanks for the info.

Not a problem man. Glad I could help.

Nice work! I'm very jealous, maybe now i can justify a nook purchase.

Thank you.

FYI Resource: mp3car.com

Just do it! They are cheaper than ever now that the Nook Tablet is out. As you can see, there is a ton of potential there.

This looks amazing. Great Job!

Thanks!

You are a god among men my friend...great job. I'm still shocked at how clean and awesome it came out.

Wow, I'm not sure I've heard that before. I mean, I tell that to my wife all the time, but she just rolls her eyes. Lol.

Actually, I'm a computer modder at heart, and I always strive for clean work. I can't stand anything messy or unorganized. It carries over in to other things I do as well. The Nook install is just an extension of that.

grendel54

Jan 3, 2011
could you post a link to the other forum you have other details on? i am interested in doing something similar to this with my g-tablet in a 4 runner, mostly interested in the head unit you are using as well as some other smaller details so i can correctly alter my project...
thanks

captawsm

Mar 29, 2007
First, thanks craigbru for the interesting write up.

I do have one question though - are you willing to share the model and/or where you purchased your bluetooth ODBII reader?

Reactions: craigbru

J-ROCK

Mar 8, 2008
windermere
This how I did my not so permanent install on my Xterra . I have the audio connected through Bluetooth and works great! And also do have the OBD Torque app. which connects to my JVC unit and OBD adapter at the same time.

Edit: sorry can't post pictures

Just thought I would share this with you.( Not saying mines better)
Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using xda premium

Last edited:

craigbru

May 6, 2011
could you post a link to the other forum you have other details on? i am interested in doing something similar to this with my g-tablet in a 4 runner, mostly interested in the head unit you are using as well as some other smaller details so i can correctly alter my project...
thanks

I've got a worklog on my forums at Losias.net, but that covers the whole Jeep project, not just the Nook install. If you do read some of that thread, keep in mind that things changed from what was originally planned.

I'm not using any head unit at all. The Nook completely replaces it. I've not lost anything I care about... FM radio? Nah. I'm not fan of commercials. :D

Very nice work. Looks great. I want to see your OBDII app in action :-D

Thanks. Lol, yeah, you and everyone else wants to see this in video. To be honest, the response has been much greater than I thought it would be. I'll do my best to get something up in the next few days.

oh and AMAZING build by the way...

Thanks man.

First, thanks craigbru for the interesting write up.

I do have one question though - are you willing to share the model and/or where you purchased your bluetooth ODBII reader?

You're welcome!

I'm using this unit bought from Amazon. I've not had any issues with it at all.

This how I did my not so permanent install on my Xterra . I have the audio connected through Bluetooth and works great! And also do have the OBD Torque app. which connects to my JVC unit and OBD adapter at the same time.

Edit: sorry can't post pictures

Just thought I would share this with you.( Not saying mines better)
Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using xda premium

Can you PM a link to your pics? I'm always interested in seeing what others have done.

llennium

Oct 8, 2007
Craig, I'm curious what Navigation software you will be running on the Nook? I haven't been able to find anything I really like for off-roading and will let me import gpx files.

Build looks great.

craigbru

May 6, 2011
Craig, I'm curious what Navigation software you will be running on the Nook? I haven't been able to find anything I really like for off-roading and will let me import gpx files.

Build looks great.

I usually run Google maps cached when I need in town navigation, but use Backcountry Navigator when I'm in the sticks. I've not imported gpx files myself, but it's supposed to be able to.

llennium

Oct 8, 2007
I usually run Google maps cached when I need in town navigation, but use Backcountry Navigator when I'm in the sticks. I've not imported gpx files myself, but it's supposed to be able to.

Thanks for the reply. I have Backcountry Navigator but it sounds like I need to spend more time with it. I create my routes for off-road in google maps and convert to gpx for the iPad, I know. I'm looking for something similar on Android so I can make the move. Using a Galaxy S2 now and love it, want to move to Android tablet soon.

Again, awesome work and great attention to detail. The little things are what make this project so great.

Sorry for the thread Hi-Jack. :D

craigbru

May 6, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I have Backcountry Navigator but it sounds like I need to spend more time with it. I create my routes for off-road in google maps and convert to gpx for the iPad, I know. I'm looking for something similar on Android so I can make the move. Using a Galaxy S2 now and love it, want to move to Android tablet soon.

Again, awesome work and great attention to detail. The little things are what make this project so great.

Sorry for the thread Hi-Jack. :D

Anytime. Yeah, I've not explored it as much as I'd like. It looks to be about the best option out there, at least that I could find. I just need to sit down and play with it more.

Don't worry about the hijack, I'm happy to answer any questions. :D

I like what you did there. Any videos of the functionality?

Thanks! No videos yet, although I mentioned earlier in the thread I'd get one up before this weekend. I'd not expected the response that the install has received, or I would have tried to have one done already.

craigbru

May 6, 2011
Well after being featured on Lifehacker.. get used to this thread getting A LOT of attention :)

Yeah, the morning it was linked, I thought xda was little laggy, then I happened to notice the views the thread had received. Considering I had only made my original post a couple days earlier, I knew something was up. I didn't know where it was linked until I did a google search for the thread title. Lifehacker and Hack A Day were the two bigest ones that came up, and then it was posted on multiple other smaller sites as well. I was and still am truly honored. :D Of course, now I've got expectations to meet. Where's that dang video?! Haha, by tomorrow night I say!

cowboy_war

Dec 15, 2006
Awesome build. Been considering something similar myself. I do have a question for you though. Do you recall the part number for the contacts you used for the audio connection? i've been trying to track them down with little luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all! It's been a while since someone posted any vehicle install pics in this forum, so I thought I'd catch you all up on a little project of mine. I started it earlier this year, but now have it almost completed. Some of this was previously posted on another forum, so I apologize in advance if something doesn't make sense or seems out of context. I'll fill in any gaps, and answer any questions you may have.

I started with a car dock for my phone attached to a Bracketron mount. I'll be able to tether the phone's internet access with the Android tablet I'll be using as a head unit.

201106wlw.jpg

I'm going to be using a rooted Nook Color, and in order to fit it in place, I needed to move the HVAC controls. After pulling the center bezel off and looking around, it appeared that the controls could be moved down after a little cutting and duct modification. Here is the end result after fabbing a pair of new brackets. I've still got to make a new surround to fill the gap.

201106zvz.jpg

201106nen.jpg

In addition to the Nook, I'm adding a Hifonics HFEQ. This will allow me fine control over the signal being sent to the amps. I can switch between inputs and use it as the main volume control.

201106bob.jpg

The approximate position of the Nook...

201106pxp.jpg

I'm using a tablet mount from RAM, and I've got to figure out a good way to mount it. That's coming up soon!

201106dsd.jpg

Now one last thing. I have a bluetooth OBDII reader installed for the Nook. I reversed the plug and bent it up slightly to keep it out of the way. I'll be able to use an Android app called Torque to read all relevent Jeep data.

201106iti.jpg
    As promised, the dock now has contacts. It couldn't have been simpler. I cut a rectangle to fit the touch contacts, epoxied it in place from the back, and soldered on a 3.5mm plug. The dock was reinstalled in the dash, and I was done!

rlwu.jpg

uTsyl.jpg

So, what now? We'll I plan on taking some video of how easy it is to dock, and some of the tablet's basic features. That should give you some idea of how well things really work together, and why I really love this setup.
    Update time! I needed to get the Nook mount in place, and modify the center bezel. I had a lot of options when it came to mounting, but I wanted to keep it simple, and by default reliable. If it won't take abuse, it's not worth putting in a Jeep. So, I decided to utilize my existing Quadratec iVault. It has served me well for the past year or so, and now it was getting a few more holes... The idea was to eventually make a storage compartment behind the face, and use the face itself to hold the RAM mount. Now, I do realize that nothing is ever truly safe in a Jeep, but there are times I need to stash something quickly while running in to a store. The Nook itself would likely get put in there.

So, let's start with the mods. Due to the mounting points in the RAM, I needed to move the existing iVault lock to the left. I drilled a hole, and shaped it with my Dremel. This was the result.

2011061112.jpg

Now I needed to make a few holes for the RAM mount.

201106zdz.jpg

Now finally the mount and iVault face are bolted together.

201106ogo.jpg

It was time for a test fit. As you can see, it attaches nicely. Now one could argue about the aesthetics of it's spacing away from the the bezel as it is, but it works well for me. It's within easy reach, and most importantly, nothing is blocked. That was a priority here. I've seen installs where the vents are unusable, or the HVAC controls are inaccessible. That may technically work, but I couldn't live with it. There was no way I wanted to sacrifice any function just to do something cool. That's also the reason the Nook isn't more tightly integrated into the bezel. It needs to be easily removable, and make for easy maintenance should it be needed.

201106gng.jpg

201106yqy.jpg

Now, let's take a look at the Hifonics EQ. It's very easy to use in this location, but I'm not sure the pic is doing it justice. I have to do something about the gap above it though. I can't just shove a fill plate in there and call it good. I've got to fix it the right way. You can see the hole I added for access to the iVault lock.

201106glg.jpg

So, it was time to do a little cutting. I've got everything marked out and ready for the Dremel.

201106psp.jpg

After the cuts...

2011061113.jpg

Let's clamp that piece in place...

201106dvd.jpg

I cut a piece of plexi to fit behind the hole, and epoxied it in place. Once the epoxy cures, it will get smoothed out with a fiberglass reinforced Bondo.

2011061114.jpg

After a few light layers of Bondo and subsequent sanding, I gave it a quick shot of primer. Here you can see the fresh primer still in the process of drying. A few more coats and it will be like glass. I dare you to say it doesn't look completely OEM. :D

2011061117.jpg

The last thing I did was reassemble everything to triple check fitment. It all looks good, so it's on to mounting the EQ solidly, and getting a fill plate made for the HVAC. Then it's painting and final assembly!

2011061119.jpg
    Well, after not doing much for a week, I tried to be productive last night. I swapped cases on my Nook Color to something more appropriate for the Jeep. I still need to get some hardwiring done, and also build custom touch contacts for docking. I'm just waiting on some parts from Mouser.com.

a919crc.jpg
    I've got a sneak peek at the almost finished install here. The biggest addition is stainless steel bar that now sits in front of the EQ. This bar will help protect it from bouncing and stray objects or people. The bar also serves a secondary purpose. It does a pretty good job of hiding the EQ from anyone peering in the windows when the top is on. Although I didn't get pics of the process, the bar is fastened to aluminum plates that are epoxied behind the bezel. It's pretty strong, and certainly isn't going anywhere.

It may be subtle, but you might also notice the tablet and mount are now sitting closer to the dash than in previous pics. I redesigned the mount and made it more secure while giving it a cleaner look.

With most of the work done, I'm now going to focus on a few smaller details. I'll cover that and finish this update in an upcoming post.

SCnwp.jpg