FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[FAQ] HELP THREAD - Noob Friendly

1,275 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,837
 
Post Reply Email Thread
Wolf Pup
20th January 2013, 06:13 PM |#11  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Re: [FAQ] HELP THREAD - Noob Friendly
Why? And, if you wanted to edit it, you could've replaced with a useful message.

Sent from somewhere too far away from my computer.
 
 
25th January 2013, 05:11 PM |#12  
swub1's Avatar
Member
Flag Memphis
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
How hard is it?
I would really like to become an Android Developer. Have a some noob questions...

I cut my android teeth on a Samsung Infuse <-Learned to root & flash get hooked on seeing what amazing things my little smartphone could do.

I most recently upgraded my phone to the LG Optimus G.

1st Question maybe a no brainer ... Should I learn to develop for my now unused Infuse or jump straight to the LGOG? I think I know the answer duh... why mess up my good working phone.

I have some knowledge of Linux witch I think will help. Should I learn to develop on a Windows computer or Linux? I am leaning toward the Linux.

Another reason to start with the Samsung is I think source is available and many other ROMs already exist so getting help from these devs may be easier and the only source available from the LG is ICS and everyone seems to want JB.

Looking forward to learning more and getting started.

swub1
25th January 2013, 05:32 PM |#13  
ttibbetts83's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag jacksonville,FL
Thanks Meter: 413
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: [FAQ] HELP THREAD - Noob Friendly
1.I'd start with the infuse if you mess something up you still have your new phone

2.If your just theming and messing with already built ROMs and stuff windows is perfered if you want to build from source you will need a 64bit Linux system Ubuntu is nice and can be installed along side windows so that's nice

There is a lot of info in the xda community and learning to build can be fun and agrovating at the same time good luck with it



Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium HD app
26th January 2013, 04:27 PM |#14  
mani1999's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 48
 
Donate to Me
More
I also have a question:

How do I include a kernel into the zip of a rom so that when I flash the rom the kernel also gets flashed at the same time.
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S2 with XXLSJ.
Thanks in advanced....
Wolf Pup
26th January 2013, 07:43 PM |#15  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Re: [FAQ] HELP THREAD - Noob Friendly
Ahhh. Damn. I believe it's pretty easy. With HTC devices though.. it's gotta be somewhere on the section though. Check XDA Uni. They probably have an answer. Please hit the thanks button. Trying to get more. People can't be bothered to click it these days.

Sent from somewhere too far away from my computer. Axis_Drummer calls me Wolfy. Jessica said I need to behave...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
27th January 2013, 12:31 AM |#16  
ttibbetts83's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag jacksonville,FL
Thanks Meter: 413
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani1999

I also have a question:

How do I include a kernel into the zip of a rom so that when I flash the rom the kernel also gets flashed at the same time.
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S2 with XXLSJ.
Thanks in advanced....

if you open the .zip file for your rom it should have a zimage file that is the kernel so if you want to swap just download a flashable zip of the kernel you want open it and there should be zimage, now put that zimage with the rom you want. you can do this with 7zip just double click to open dont extract the rom zip you can extract the kernel from the the kernel .zip and drag the zimage for th ekernel you want to the opened rom.zip then close and flash
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ttibbetts83 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ttibbetts83 Ad-Free
27th January 2013, 08:42 AM |#17  
mani1999's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 48
 
Donate to Me
More
AW: [FAQ] HELP THREAD - Noob Friendly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttibbetts83

if you open the .zip file for your rom it should have a zimage file that is the kernel so if you want to swap just download a flashable zip of the kernel you want open it and there should be zimage, now put that zimage with the rom you want. you can do this with 7zip just double click to open dont extract the rom zip you can extract the kernel from the the kernel .zip and drag the zimage for th ekernel you want to the opened rom.zip then close and flash

May I extract the kernel.zip for doing this?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
27th January 2013, 09:34 AM |#18  
...Awesome...'s Avatar
Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 7,305
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: [FAQ] HELP THREAD - Noob Friendly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttibbetts83

if you open the .zip file for your rom it should have a zimage file that is the kernel so if you want to swap just download a flashable zip of the kernel you want open it and there should be zimage, now put that zimage with the rom you want. you can do this with 7zip just double click to open dont extract the rom zip you can extract the kernel from the the kernel .zip and drag the zimage for th ekernel you want to the opened rom.zip then close and flash

This is why people brick their devices when people that has no idea what their talking about give advice! First of all the kernel in a ROM comes as a boot.img and second you can't just switch out the zimage when their is more than the zimage for it to probably work. You need the modules as well... I would recommend you not give advice unless u either know 100% of what your talking about or don't give advice in these specific forums where noobs lurk and don't know good advice from bad....

Now to answer your question...

You have 2 options if your kernel comes as a boot.img just replace it with the one from the ROM and replace lib/modules from the kernel to the rom, and flash away...

The second option is if your kernel comes in a zimage and the ROM comes as a boot.img then you will have to unpack the boot.img from the rom and then replace the zimage and pack the boot.img but to do that you will need to be in Linux or VirtualBox... This can't be done thru windows, but recently there have been programs that can unpack the boot.img thru windows but I always use Linux.

So post how your kernel comes in either a boot.img or zimage and how the room has its kernel we can help u more after that.
Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ...Awesome... For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ...Awesome... Ad-Free
27th January 2013, 10:23 AM |#19  
mani1999's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 48
 
Donate to Me
More
AW: [FAQ] HELP THREAD - Noob Friendly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ...Awesome...

This is why people brick their devices when people that has no idea what their talking about give advice! First of all the kernel in a ROM comes as a boot.img and second you can't just switch out the zimage when their is more than the zimage for it to probably work. You need the modules as well... I would recommend you not give advice unless u either know 100% of what your talking about or don't give advice in these specific forums where noobs lurk and don't know good advice from bad....

Now to answer your question...

You have 2 options if your kernel comes as a boot.img just replace it with the one from the ROM and replace lib/modules from the kernel to the rom, and flash away...

The second option is if your kernel comes in a zimage and the ROM comes as a boot.img then you will have to unpack the boot.img from the rom and then replace the zimage and pack the boot.img but to do that you will need to be in Linux or VirtualBox... This can't be done thru windows, but recently there have been programs that can unpack the boot.img thru windows but I always use Linux.

So post how your kernel comes in either a boot.img or zimage and how the room has its kernel we can help u more after that.
Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Both kernels, the one in the rom and the one I want to replace it with, come in zimage....

Edit: I anyway mostly use Ubuntu, it's the best for doing that kind of stuff

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
27th January 2013, 10:27 AM |#20  
...Awesome...'s Avatar
Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 7,305
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: [FAQ] HELP THREAD - Noob Friendly
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani1999

Both kernels, the one in the rom and the one I want to replace it with, come in zimage....

Edit: I anyway mostly use Ubuntu, it's the best for doing that kind of stuff

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Ah okay then just replace the zimage in the rom with the one from the kernel as well as the libs/modules or u will lose WiFi etc & Flash...
---_----------_------------

I do apologize I've personally never seen a rom come with a zimage before I've always seen it come already as a boot.img. so I apologize to the previous member I ranted about.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
27th January 2013, 12:24 PM |#21  
mani1999's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 48
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ...Awesome...

Ah okay then just replace the zimage in the rom with the one from the kernel as well as the libs/modules or u will lose WiFi etc & Flash...
---_----------_------------

I do apologize I've personally never seen a rom come with a zimage before I've always seen it come already as a boot.img. so I apologize to the previous member I ranted about.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

I cant find any libs/modules in the kernel zip. There is only the zimage and gipo-keys.kl in system/usr/keylayout (and of course META-INF, but I think that isn't important).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes