[Q] What's next? Life after the Captivate...

Search This thread

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Yeah im learning from my flyer tablet its not as easy as my captivate but im on honeycomb and it works fine so i dont see much reason to root it anyway. Sense is honestly pretty nice. I was looking to get skyrockets but couldn't get it cheaper than $200. I also just read ics update for the vivid is rolling out today which makes it even more appealing.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using XDA

scottcwhite

Sep 1, 2010
Until my company updates corporate plan to 4g I can only continue to use the Sim it if my company issued blackberry in my captivate. Bought the 4g Infuse when it first came out and that was when I found out I can't use 4g phones. It sucks.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium HD app

anishz

Nov 25, 2010
Mumbai
The only phone interesting enough on android, for me is HTC One X, will see how sgs3 fares. And the Galaxy Nexus is still not launched in India :banghead:. I hate Google for that, and if they launch it now, it's already worthless.

Lumia 900 seems really nice.;)

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
The only phone interesting enough on android, for me is HTC One X, will see how sgs3 fares. And the Galaxy Nexus is still not launched in India :banghead:. I hate Google for that, and if they launch it now, it's already worthless.

Lumia 900 seems really nice.;)

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA

A part of me wishes I would of waited for the one x because it is a thing of beauty no doubt but the no removable battery was the deal breaker. I swap between my Samsung stock batteries and anker batteries everyday to keep a full charge. I'm a heavy user so I just don't think a single battery would of fared well, and the other thing is I was ready to upgrade now, and the one x launch is still a couple weeks out and I hate paying a lot for a phone and it'll be a while before the one x is cheap. So I got vivids instead. Really think its enough power, dual core 1.2ghz snap dragon and a gig of memory, and ics is on the brink of being released for it. It was released actually but pulled, and there is a phone code to enter that'll force it.

nron22

Dec 19, 2010
I would consider waiting for the galaxy s 3, otherwise LG has some nice phones too

sent from I896 Dark Knight 3

b-eock

Dec 30, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Yahh I will see my favorite kernel devs when the Galaxy S3 Comes out (Tk-Glitch and sixstringsg) I am waiting for the S3 because of the unofficial specs :D. They are usually close to the real deal. Gonna be their Captivate kernel tester, at least on of them :)

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
I love this vivid! Im never buying Samsung again! My captivate seems cheap compared to the build quality of this phone. And it's lightning fast, and 4G lte is stupid fast! I got 36meg down yesterday!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

anishz

Nov 25, 2010
Mumbai
A part of me wishes I would of waited for the one x because it is a thing of beauty no doubt but the no removable battery was the deal breaker. I swap between my Samsung stock batteries and anker batteries everyday to keep a full charge. I'm a heavy user so I just don't think a single battery would of fared well, and the other thing is I was ready to upgrade now, and the one x launch is still a couple weeks out and I hate paying a lot for a phone and it'll be a while before the one x is cheap. So I got vivids instead. Really think its enough power, dual core 1.2ghz snap dragon and a gig of memory, and ics is on the brink of being released for it. It was released actually but pulled, and there is a phone code to enter that'll force it.

Yes, you are right the htc one x is going to be very expensive when it launches.
About the battery, i don't care much as i am always around a charger and have never replaced my battery.
The vivid is not available in India, so i have never used it, but the reviews are good, also it has ICS now.
I will also see how SGS 3 turns out, hopefully it should be made of ceramic as per the rumors, if it's plastic again, Hello HTC.

nron22

Dec 19, 2010
Yahh I will see my favorite kernel devs when the Galaxy S3 Comes out (Tk-Glitch and sixstringsg) I am waiting for the S3 because of the unofficial specs :D. They are usually close to the real deal. Gonna be their Captivate kernel tester, at least on of them :)

Your right. If the leaked specs are close. The s3 will be a sick phone.
I896 with ICS is still pretty sweet. Loving 4.0.4 dark knight rom

Sent from my SGH-I896 dk4

mamaboo

Feb 25, 2012
NYC
captivate to galaxy note for sure-but what about that slll?

my question is this, how much better do you think the galaxy slll will be as compared to the note? i plan to use the note for my artwork, and the size is a plus as far as using it as a phone.

i just won the Galaxy Note from the samsung facebook page. i never win anything and i am so excited, i just can't wait till i get it--they said 6-8 weeks. why cant they just throw it in the damn shipping box and get it over with already!! i know--- samsung prize department does not revolve around me, (wish it did!)

now i can try ics on my cappy with out worry that i will not have a phone if i brick it and don't have time to un-brick it. since i told my friends i won the note, they all want my cappy. little do they know i have plans for my baby!

any advice how to mod my new note? maybe i will start a new thread for this, or is there one already...probably there is...

pwnerman

Mar 1, 2011
Flintstone
I'm on AT&T and never using my upgrade I'm buying unlocked international phones from now on and paying monthly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Captivate feels small alright, but Galaxy Note is very very big....I played with ATT's note couple of times but always got disappointed by the size....I agree with LTE speed...thats why I am thinking abt skyrocket now...

The note is pretty, but yeah, it's much larger than the Captivate. If you almost want a tablet, then I think it will be good, but otherwise it might be too big to fit in your pocket.

gs-vs-note.jpg

The person I'm sitting next to, whose Note is pictured, says, "it's fine" (regarding fitting in a pocket).
    Regarding the Note...I'm leaning towards getting one this month after I saw Samsung offers the same car mount that they have for the Captivate. It has a great snap-in feel and the sliding USB connection (Power + Audio) is simple and very functional. Since they have a similar offering for the Note I'm ready to jump on it.

My questions:

1. Can anyone vouch for the Google Nav performance of the Note? I can vouch that my Captivate is complete crap when trying to use Navigation in the car.

2. How is audio quality compared to the Captivate? I know it's subjective, but I have a picky ear and would appreciate any comparisons.

3. Any concerns about call quality with the Note? My Captivate shines here...

4. How is the overall feel for quality? Buttons, bezel, battery door, usb port, etc...

Edit: I should add that I played with one in the AT&T store but it's not the same as using a device day-to-day.

I have only had the Note for a couple days so I can only give you my impressions of a Captivate user since launch and going through 4 of them using warranty and insurance.

1. I can completely vouch for the GPS performance on the Note. It is awesome. Locks in under 5 seconds. Locks to 10+ satellites in around 10 seconds. I am not aware of anyone having GPS problems with the Note. I was able to use Nav in my previous Captivates, but GPS was always finicky ... the GPS on the Note is solid.

2/3 - The call and sound quality are pretty good. Nothing to complain about if you are coming from the Captivate. The external speaks are noticeably louder ... which is great since you tend to look like an asshat when holding the Note to your head and not using speakerphone or an earpiece.

4 - The build quality is similar to the Captivate. The screen still uses Gorilla Glass and it feels solid overall. My only complaint as far as build quality goes is the backplate seems kinda flimsy. You have to "rip" it off to get at the innards and it wasn't solid like the Captivate's. It feels fine when it is attached to the Captivate though.

Just to add ... my real issue is the size although I believe I'll get used to it and wanted the size or else I would have gotten a Galaxy S2.
    I figure many of us are facing the same dilemma here...

Like many of you, the Captivate was my first Android phone. Being an AT&T customer, it was my (our) only choice back in the summer of 2010 and I (we) jumped on it and, besides some ocassional frustrations, haven't looked back since (other than "GPS-Gate", I've (we've) been extremely happy with the "Cappy"). :D

In March I'll (we'll) be eligible for an upgrade with AT&T and I'm (we're) starting to wrestle with the question of what to do next...

Should I (we) stay loyal to AT&T and see what phones they have available/will soon be availble? The SGSII (Skyrocket) looks good, but there's bound to be something new available in a couple of months.

Or, should I (we) jump ship to another carrier (Verizon, T-Mo, Sprint) and have an even better selection of phones to choose from?

So, do any of you have any suggestions or advice? What are you going to do when your contract is up with AT&T? Is Verizon, T-Mobile, or "insert-carrier-name-here" a better carrier to be with (pricing, selection, service, coverage, etc.) than AT&T? Anyone have any experience with the other carriers you could share? Or, is it best to sit tight until after February and see what new phones are on the horizon (SGSIII, something else)???

Ultimately, the plan is to do something within the next 3 to 6 months...just not sure what the right move would be.

I (we) thank you for your comments/thoughts/advice/other! :cool:
    Actually I'm quite happy with my cappy. Never had any issues, I'm running the same operating system available currently only on the Gnex. I get a good 15 hours of heavy use from the battery and my job pays for the bill. Other than not having a front facing camera there is not really any other phone on the market that does something mine doesn't. Maybe they do it a tad faster but hell, if I need that much speed I use my home computer. This is in the end still a phone. And still way faster than driving around looking for a pay phone that works.

Yes I remember those days

Sent from my Captivate running ICS 4.0 with ICS NOVA launcher
    The backplate on the note seems flimsy but it reminds me very much of the feel of the vibrant plate. While the design is different the feel is similar. I have to say the vibrant is still kicking along and the back hasn't snapped or anything.

Generally I've found the build quality to be good and think this is a perception issue more than something which will really be a problem.